Salisbury
Medical Term Lookup

Current National Weather
Current Moon and Tides
SCOA eNewsletter

Join the free SCOA email list to receive the above digital PDF version of the bimonthly SCOA Newsletter via every 2 months -no January or April editions- as soon as it is available!

Congregate - MOW - Menu
lunch menu image

Alternately, weekday meals are available for homebound elders. Please visit the Elder Services of Merrimack Valley web site for information, or call them at 800-892-0890 to inquire about or to make make arrangements for the Meals-on-Wheels or Elder Brown Bag programs.

Hours and Directions

Mon to Thur 8:00AM-3:30PM
and Fridays 8:00AM-12:30PM map image

43 Lafayette Rd, Salisbury, MA 01952

Local Links

AARP Massachusetts
states.aarp.org/massachusetts

Anna Jaques Hospital
www.ajh.org

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation
www.bcbsmafoundation.org

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
www.mass.gov

Elder Services of Merrimac Valley, Inc.
www.esmv.org

Executive Office of Elder Affairs
www.mass.gov/elders

Jeanne Geigger Crisis Center
www.jeannegeigercrisiscenter.org

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
www.massrmv.com

Massachusetts Senior Action Council
www.masssenioraction.org

Northeast Independent Living Program, Inc.
www.nilp.org

North Shore Community Action Programs
www.nscap.org

Official Town of Salisbury Site
www.salisburyma.gov

Pettengill House
www.pettengillhouse.org

Salisbury Assisted Living Center
www.assistedlivingcenter.org

Salisbury Chamber of Commerce
www.salisburychamber.com

Salisbury Elementary School
www.tritonschools.org/salisbury

Salisbury Emergency Management
www.facebook.com/Salisbury-Emergency-Management-157510740954299

Salisbury Fire Department
www.facebook.com/Salisbury-Firefighters-Local-4694-109528169115405

Salisbury Library
www.salisburylibrary.org/

Salisbury Police Department
www.salisburypolice.com

Triton Regional School District
www.tritonschools.org

Medicare FAQs and News
MedicareFAQ
Making Sense of Medicare Supplements

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services recognize the importance of chronic care management. According to CMS, more than two-thirds of beneficiaries have two chronic conditions, and nearly 14% have more than six chronic conditions. Patients with two or more chronic health conditions need chronic care services. Chronic care services help beneficiaries with a higher…

The post What is Chronic Care Management? appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Health insurance for people with Medicare is necessary. It can be shocking to learn that Medicare doesn’t cover everything. But, when you have a quality health policy to complement your Medicare, you’ll find that costs are much lower and more predictable. There are different types of Medicare health plans, and we’re going to discuss the…

The post Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

There are many reasons why some states have more expensive Medigap plans than others. The rules in some states vary, and the cost of living can also play a factor. If you live in a state where Medigap premiums are higher, it’s likely going to provide you with more value. The cost of healthcare is…

The post Top 10 Most Expensive States for Medigap Plans appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

While much of the rest of the budget is a significant deficit, Social security surplus enables the government to acquire less from the public to fund the deficit. Some Social Security benefits use a specific government trust fund to secure payments to beneficiaries that qualify for subsidies under different definitions. Beneficiaries that are eligible for…

The post Understanding the Social Security Surplus appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Preserving Social Security and Medicare is the main goal for one group in America. And, it’s a good thing, since Americans have a concern about Social Security. But, Americans aren’t the only ones with concern. The Social Security Board of Trustees says funds may deplete by 2037. So, you may be wondering if there’s any…

The post Preserving Social Security and Medicare appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Many people wonder if they can use a prescription discount card along with their Part D. While the answer is, yes, it may not be that easy. You can use a prescription drug card even if you have Part D, but you can’t use both at the same time. Choose to use the option that…

The post Can I Use a Prescription Discount Card with Part D appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

The Medicare tax rate for 2020 is something that the IRS will determine. The amount is subject to change at any point. Medicare taxes only apply to the income you earn, not your property or inheritance income. Medicare taxes are a payroll tax. Meaning, an employer and an employee both contribute to the tax. But,…

The post How the Medicare Tax Rate is Changing appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Recently, President Trump announced a new trade deal to reduce insulin costs. The deal is between health care plans and insulin manufacturers. And the result? Starting next year, those with Diabetes can enroll in Medicare plans with caps on insulin charges. Copays will not be more than $35 each month. According to the White House,…

The post President Trump Reduces Insulin Costs appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Health News-Medical News Today
Healthy Recipes - Well Plated
Healthy Dinners – Well Plated by Erin
11 Aug 2020 at 1:31pm
Recipes for a Wholesome Life

by Erin Clarke
10 Aug 2020 at 6:01am

The next time cooking dinner feels like a drag, make these Stir Fry Noodles. Whole grain noodles tossed with a heap of vegetables (whichever ones you have around) and your protein of choice (we used chicken) in a shortcut stir fry sauce, what we have here is a Class-A Weeknight Wonder. This noodle stir fry […]

The post Stir Fry Noodles is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
7 Aug 2020 at 6:01am

Think a “pasta” made without pasta can’t disappear from your plate? These Zucchini Ravioli will fool you like an Italian Houdini! Rich with ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses and packed with Italian flavor, your taste buds will insist you’re dining in Florence. The magic trick? These ravioli are wrapped in… zucchini! Abracadabra, indeed. This zucchini […]

The post Zucchini Ravioli is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
5 Aug 2020 at 6:01am

This recipe for Salmon Burgers is the meal-time equivalent of an award show sweep. Made almost entirely with fresh salmon without added breadcrumbs or eggs, these burgers let the salmon design the set, choreograph the score, and steal the show all at once. My gripe with most fresh salmon burger recipes is that they use […]

The post Salmon Burgers is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
3 Aug 2020 at 6:03am

Two of my cherished weekend rituals are 1) watching the Food Network and 2) spending an evening cooking us a comforting dinner, which in 99% of circumstances leads us to classic Italian recipes like today’s Chicken Cacciatore. We’re never disappointed. Cacciatore (pronounced Kah-Chuh-Taw-Ree) means “hunter” in Italian. Thus, chicken cacciatore means chicken that is prepared […]

The post Chicken Cacciatore is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
29 Jul 2020 at 6:00am

A container of Curry Chicken Salad in the fridge broadens my week’s possibilities like a sunny forecast. The Greek yogurt and grapes exude freshness, the cashews add a welcome texture, and the curry, garlic, and maple syrup (or honey) showcase the pizazz. Equal to this unexpected chicken salad’s bright flavor is its diversity: serve it […]

The post Curry Chicken Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
27 Jul 2020 at 6:00am

Tangles of zucchini noodles wrapped around burst cherry tomatoes in a garlic Parmesan sauce that forms itself right in the pan as the zucchini cooks, this bright Zucchini Pasta is the recipe that convinced me that zucchini noodles can, in fact, be as legitimately satisfying as regular pasta noodles. It’s easy to talk a good […]

The post Zucchini Pasta is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
24 Jul 2020 at 6:02am

My all time, forever and ever amen, healthy dinner love is taking it outside today: Grilled Stuffed Peppers! Bright bell peppers that are grilled, stuffed with a hearty blend of sausage, rice, tomatoes, and CHEESE, then tossed back onto the grill until said cheese melts into gooey perfection, they have the makings of a dreamy […]

The post Grilled Stuffed Peppers is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
16 Jul 2020 at 6:04am

On weeknights, we usually eat leftovers of my latest rounds of recipe tests. On weekends, however, I take time to leisurely cook whatever strikes me, whether it’s a recipe from a cookbook or an old favorite that we haven’t enjoyed for a while. This Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce recipe is one I find […]

The post Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Side Dishes – Well Plated by Erin
21 Jul 2020 at 9:27am

by Erin Clarke
20 Jul 2020 at 6:01am

It’s a summer life skill day! This post is going to show you the easiest, best method for how to cut a watermelon into cubes of any size. Eating cold watermelon right out of the refrigerator is one of summer’s greatest joys. Yet, despite my love of this naturally hydrating, ultra-refreshing fruit, I very rarely […]

The post How to Cut a Watermelon is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
17 Jul 2020 at 6:02am

I am either on the cusp of a great discovery or the last to know, because Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes are officially the best, most convenient way to steam a sweet potato I’ve encountered. You cool Instant Pot kids—have you been cooking your sweet potatoes this way all along? Is there a secret underground club […]

The post Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
2 Jul 2020 at 8:35am

Let’s take it easy with a quick, healthy side like this Arugula Salad with lemon balsamic dressing. This flexible recipe goes with just about anything (chicken, seafood, pizza, and even brunch recipes like quiche all taste fab with arugula). It’s simple, endlessly customizable, and the bright dressing makes it the best arugula salad you’ll ever […]

The post Arugula Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
30 Jun 2020 at 6:02am

I would like to thank the inventor of the chopped salad, then double thank the inventor of the BLT. We’re combining both works of genius into a big, beautiful salad today: BLT Chopped Salad with feta and corn! It’s super summery, creamy and crunchy, and, unlike just about every salad I’ve ever ordered in a […]

The post BLT Chopped Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
29 Jun 2020 at 6:01am

This Black Bean Corn Salad is so embarrassingly easy to make (no cooking!), summery fresh, and even good for us, it feels 100% like cheating. Let’s get away with it. You know when you want to bring a side to a potluck but you don’t actually want to spend *that* much time making it? You […]

The post Black Bean Corn Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
25 Jun 2020 at 6:02am

I have a pan of comfort food for you today in the form of Broccoli Rice Casserole. It’s a fully-loaded nine square inches of all the best parts of an old-school casserole—the creamy, cheesy inside, the scrumptious mix of veggies and rice, and the irresistibly buttery, crispy topping—and exactly none of the worst parts. This […]

The post Broccoli Rice Casserole is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
19 Jun 2020 at 6:03am

Well Mom, you rubbed off on me, even if I still like to have things my way. Just ask this Broccoli Quinoa Casserole. Inspired by the Healthy Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole that was a fixture on our childhood dinner menus, today’s elevated vegetarian version keeps the spirit of the casseroles I remember my mom […]

The post Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
16 Jun 2020 at 6:04am

Every year when I bite into the first summer tomato, I wonder what on earth it is I’ve been eating the whole rest of the year. It’s a feeling I can compare to slicing into a perfectly ripe avocado: the delicious sensation of striking ingredient gold. Here to celebrate them both, I have a light […]

The post Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Healthy Desserts – Well Plated by Erin
12 Aug 2020 at 7:43am

by Erin Clarke
11 Aug 2020 at 7:00am

In my quest to do one small thing each day that brings me extra joy, I present today’s bright and sunny 4 Ingredient Mango Smoothie. This mango spinach banana smoothie is not only incredibly healthy, but it’s also refreshing, creamy, and flat-out DELISH. Now, before you question whether or not a green smoothie can truly […]

The post 4 Ingredient Mango Green Smoothie is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
1 Jul 2020 at 6:00am

Meet the great cookie equalizer: Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. Whatever the members of your household might agree (or not agree) on, everyone can rally around a soft, chewy cookie that’s made of wholesome ingredients, especially when said cookie includes peanut butter and chocolate. This recipe is based on my 5-star Healthy Oatmeal Cookies. Like […]

The post Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
13 Jun 2020 at 9:25am

If you’re looking for a way to show someone a little extra love (yourself included!), today’s healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes are a tasty option that will please all parties, including the ones in charge of washing dishes! Amongst the delicious lineup of pancake recipes on my site (like Coconut Flour Pancakes, Gingerbread Pancakes, and classic […]

The post Banana Oatmeal Pancakes is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
2 Jun 2020 at 6:45am

If you are of the attitude that too much topping on a fruit crisp is simply not a situation that exists in real life, then my friend, this is the Peach Crisp recipe for you. Juicy, honey-sweetened peaches bubbling away beneath the most generous portion of toasty, buttery oat topping of any fruit crisp I’ve […]

The post Peach Crisp is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
22 May 2020 at 6:05am

Time for a fresh twist (or in this case, a crisscross) on a grandma-level classic cookie: Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies. They’re lightly crispy at the edges, chewy in the centers, and miraculously contain no butter, no oil, and no eggs. Pure peanut butter magic is all it takes to create a healthy peanut butter cookie […]

The post Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
8 May 2020 at 6:00am

I have a taste of France for you today! These Strawberry Crepes are beautifully light, easy to make, and the dreamy cream cheese Greek yogurt filling places them squarely on the line between summery dessert and dreamy weekend breakfast. I vote we eat them for both! Making crepes from scratch is one of those culinary […]

The post Strawberry Crepes is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
4 May 2020 at 6:45am

I’ve decided to turn my home into an all-inclusive resort. I’m cranking up the thermostat (warm island vibes!) and doing a few small things to pamper myself, starting with breakfast. This creamy Coconut Chia Pudding is the treat-your-self way to begin your day. Coconut chia pudding is good for you, yet its rich texture gives […]

The post Coconut Chia Pudding is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
16 Apr 2020 at 6:00am

This is for my friends in the audience who bake cookies purely to eat spoonfuls of batter straight from the bowl. Meet Edible Cookie Dough. It’s 100% safe to eat, you can customize it every which way, and I lightened it up with everyday ingredients. Eating cookie dough out of the bowl is a small […]

The post Edible Cookie Dough is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Serious Eats: Recipes
10 Aug 2020 at 9:00am
Our Favorite Recipes, Curated and Collected

by Kristina Razon
10 Aug 2020 at 9:00am

Sweet ripe mango, tangy Greek yogurt, and bright lime juice unite in these winning popsicles. Get Recipe!

by Nik Sharma
5 Aug 2020 at 9:00am

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are marinated in an aromatic mixture of fresh yogurt and mint, then gently roasted and served with quick-pickled nectarines for a light but complex summer meal. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
5 Aug 2020 at 3:45am

Creamed shishitos are perfect as a stand-alone side dish, a pizza topping, a taco filling, and so much more. Get Recipe!

by Derek Lucci
4 Aug 2020 at 9:00am

Dig into this Thai salad of crispy, runny fried eggs with fresh herbs, aromatics, and a sour-spicy dressing. Get Recipe!

by J. Kenji López-Alt
3 Aug 2020 at 10:00am

This egg fried rice recipe is designed to work with any cooking setup, whether you're lucky enough to have a true flaming-hot wok burner or are just using a nonstick skillet on an electric cooktop. Get Recipe!

by Ozoz Sokoh
30 Jul 2020 at 9:00am

A perfect summery drink that combines sweet, juicy mangoes, warming ginger, a hint of spice and vegetal notes from green jalapeño, refreshing lime-lemon soda and a crisp lager. Get Recipe!

by Nik Sharma
22 Jul 2020 at 9:00am

Biryani is a celebration of aroma, color, and flavor, with perfectly cooked, fluffy grains of scented basmati rice and tender chunks of spiced lamb. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
22 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

Creamy refrieds, guacamole, tender scrambled eggs, chorizo, crema, roasted poblano pepper, and melted cheese. Don't forget the hot sauce. Get Recipe!

by Tim Chin
21 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

Leftover sourdough starter is transformed into these elegant crackers, flavored with coriander and fennel seed, rye flour, and sparkling wine. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
16 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

Soft scrambled eggs, melted Cheddar cheese, crisply browned potato hash, guac, sour cream, hot sauce, and bacon, all piled into a tender flour tortilla. Get Recipe!

by Tim Chin
15 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

Instead of throwing your excess sourdough starter away, save it for these lacy and thin savory pancake that are seasoned lightly with dashi and flecked with fresh scallions. Get Recipe!

by Tim Chin
10 Jul 2020 at 9:00am

This recipe produces a classic oval pain au levain—a sourdough loaf that's lightly tangy and deeply flavorful. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
8 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

A piece of bar gear turns your iced coffee into a velvety, foam-capped treat. Get Recipe!

by Kristina Razon
2 Jul 2020 at 3:45am

With fresh strawberries, strawberry jam, and optional freeze-dried strawberry powder, these frozen pops are a cinch to make and are bursting with flavor. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
26 Jun 2020 at 9:00am

Turn leftover roast pork shoulder into a rich but bright meat sauce with fennel-onion soffritto and lemon. Get Recipe!

Janet's Notebook from Just A Pinch Recipes
11 Aug 2020 at 1:01am
Take a page from Janet's Notebook and keep up with the latest tips, tricks and tasty treats from the Kitchen Crew and Recipe Club members around the country!

28 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite days of the year. My love of Mexican cuisine runs deep and I love to indulge in my favorites. Typically, I go to a local restaurant but this year with all the safe-distancing restrictions I've decided to recreate some of my favorites...

21 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
In times of trouble, I turn to my kitchen for comfort. I think it's something a lot of us home cooks do. Recently, I've been craving anything with cheese - the cheesier the better. Cheese just makes my taste buds happy. If you're like me right now, then you're going...

14 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Growing up in the South, pecans were always abundant. I'd grab a handful for a snack every day and always incorporate them into our meals. We didn't limit ourselves to making pecan pie either. If you love them as I do, here are a few pecan recipes that are sweet...

7 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Once Easter is done I hate to get rid of leftovers - especially now since I am trying to use all the food I have. Besides being tasty, mashed potatoes make great leftovers because you can reinvent them. These Blue Ribbon recipes turn leftover mashed potatoes into something quite tasty. "This...

31 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Traditionally, ham is the centerpiece of an Easter meal. The custom dates back to 6th century Germany (you can learn more about why here). Adding a glaze to baked ham changes the flavor profile and ensures your family's taste buds won't be bored by another baked ham. Here are five...

24 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
The world is a weird place. The events happening right now are nothing we've seen before. We are all hunkering down and trying to distance ourselves from others. But we all need to eat and we are having to use what's handy. We're getting creative with proteins from the freezer,...

17 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Casseroles are my go-to dinner option when I have a busy day. They're easy to prepare, quick to bake, and always a family favorite. What kid would pass up a trip to McDonald's? After they try Tammy Brownlow's (Dallas, TX) Mac Attack! Cheeseburger Casserole they may never ask you to...

10 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Everywhere you look on St. Patrick's Day something is green. It's the color associated with St. Patrick's Day and green is in these desserts! "This Pistachio Nut Cake uses a yellow cake mix, instant pistachio pudding and it's covered with pistachio flavored whipped topping," explains Laura Davis (Rusk, TX). Laura's cake is...

3 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Cauliflower gets a bad rap. I'll admit back in the day when it was only served steamed, cauliflower was not my favorite veggie. But, as it's become a popular low-carb substitute and there are so many more recipes, cauliflower has become one of my favorites. This week, I'm sharing five...

25 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
If you come into my kitchen, there is one thing guaranteed... I have the ingredients on hand so I can quickly make a snack. Hangry is a thing (getting super irritable when super hungry) and I do everything possible to prevent that from happening. Savory and sweet, these recipes satisfy...

18 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
Tuna is one of my go-to's when I'm figuring out what to eat. I always have cans on hand in the pantry. Sometimes I'll pick up a few steaks when I want to prepare a nicer dinner. Besides being very versatile, there are many health benefits. It's full of protein,...

11 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
Want to earn a place in my heart? Make me a chocolate dessert. What kind? Anything! I'm not picky... the more chocolate the better. If you can't think of a better way to end a day than enjoying something chocolaty, then take a look at these Blue Ribbon desserts. Cookies are...

4 Feb 2020 at 2:00am
Creamy, sweet, nutty, and chocolaty ... oh how I love Nutella. If you're not familiar with it, Nutella is a hazelnut cream that was invented in Italy. It was first sold in 1964, but its origins date back to the 1920s in Turin, Italy. Made with hazelnuts, cocoa, milk, sugar,...

28 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
The mecca of all food holidays is almost upon us - the Super Bowl! Just like Thanksgiving and Christmas, calories don't count on this day. Snack foods always rule my menu and this year will be no different. Don't let the pretzel-making process intimidate you. Jeanne Ballough's (Reynoldsville, PA) Pennsylvania Dutch...

21 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
Breakfast... lunch... dinner ... dessert... there aren't many meals I can't add bacon to. My dream day would be to have bacon (in some way) at every meal. This week, I thought I would share five Blue Ribbon recipes that feature bacon and go beyond breakfast! If you love bacon, Nellie...

14 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
From air fryers to sous vides and pressure cookers, my kitchen cabinets are crowded with gadgets. But there is one tried and true machine I go back to - my slow cooker. Especially when the weather is cooler I find myself pulling it out of the cabinet because you can...

7 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
When the cooler weather arrives, soup recipes make their way into my weekly menu. They're economical, easy to make, and always a family favorite. A comforting bowl of one of these soups will make your taste buds very happy. "Raising children on a dime led me to be frugal in the...

31 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
The last of the leftover ham, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie are finally out of my fridge. I love indulging during the holidays but it's right around this point that I realize I need to reign in the treats a bit. There's nothing like starting the new year off...

24 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
As much as my family eats multiple plates of food and leaves the table stuffed, we still seem to have a lot of leftovers after our Christmas dinner. I always tend to make too much ham and mashed potatoes. I make sure to store those in the fridge so I...

17 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
One of my favorite parts of a holiday is dessert. All the cooking is behind me. It's my time to sit down, relax, and catch up with my loved ones. A cup of coffee, a slice of pie and great conversation is the perfect Christmas ending. I always make sure...

Travel - Top Destinations and Vacation Ideas
Travel - Top Destinations, Vacation Ideas
How to vacation well — from planning your time off to finding flight deals and hotel hacks — on a real person's budget.

30 Jul 2020 at 6:28pm
Bigger is definitely not always better.

28 Jul 2020 at 7:46pm
As COVID-19 cases surge, many Americans are ignoring health guidelines with beach days and vacations.

21 Jul 2020 at 10:25am
Take it from me.

22 Jun 2020 at 10:28pm
Experts share their guidance for visiting beaches amid the coronavirus pandemic.

10 Jun 2020 at 8:54pm
Experts break down the risks, considerations and precautions amid the coronavirus pandemic.

4 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm
Experts share their tips for staying safe if you have to get on a plane during the COVID-19 pandemic.

20 May 2020 at 8:09pm
Traveling near or far in your car during the coronavirus pandemic? Follow these precautions for a safer road trip.

20 Jul 2020 at 4:39pm
There are lots of toiletry bags, dopp kits, jewelry cases, tech pouches and more.

22 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm
We found rolling duffels, totes and weekenders on wheels for all you "light packers" out there.

16 Jul 2020 at 5:05pm
These travel bags for men and women are ideal for overnight and long weekend trips.

10 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
What travelers should know about the risks of hotels and home rentals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

6 Aug 2020 at 5:45am
Experts weigh in on the safety of recreational boat outings in the age of COVID-19.

29 Jun 2020 at 1:20pm
Traveling in a motorhome can be a lot more exhausting — and expensive — than you might think.

11 Jun 2020 at 8:25pm
Visiting Walt Disney World and Disneyland will feel different as they reopen in the age of the COVID-19 pandemic.

29 May 2020 at 11:49am
A report from WalletHub identified the top spots for “a fun-filled yet wallet-friendly staycation.”

Red Sox Watch
Red Sox News
13 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
Red Sox News

by Ian Browne
13 Aug 2020 at 4:02pm

by Ian Browne
13 Aug 2020 at 2:14pm

by Ian Browne
13 Aug 2020 at 12:59am

by Bill Ladson
13 Aug 2020 at 5:42pm

by Mark Feinsand
13 Aug 2020 at 11:30am

by Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and Mike Rosenbaum
13 Aug 2020 at 6:09pm

9 Jul 2020 at 2:38pm
Brighten up your appearance in video conferences and let everyone see Fenway Park behind you. Download now!

by Ian Browne
13 Aug 2020 at 12:21am

28 Feb 2017 at 5:56pm
Who do the Red Sox have in the pipeline? Get scouting reports, video, stats, projected ETAs and more for Boston's Top 30 Prospects.

by Ian Browne
12 Aug 2020 at 12:42am

by Ian Browne
11 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm

by Ian Browne
11 Aug 2020 at 2:17am

by Ian Browne
10 Aug 2020 at 7:39pm

3 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
Which young stars and clubs will dominate the next 10 seasons? Predict who will lead the decade (2020-29) in 9 categories and you could win $1,000,000 in "The Vault."

by Ian Browne
9 Aug 2020 at 6:16pm

Tech News - Views from WIRED
Feed: All Latest
Channel Description

by Cecilia D'Anastasio
13 Aug 2020 at 5:59pm

The Fortnite developer filed a suit today in California that suggests it may even want to launch its own app store on iOS.

by Andy Greenberg
13 Aug 2020 at 4:17pm

The Justice Department says that an agent of the terrorist organization operated FaceMaskCenter.com, in part of a series of cryptocurrency-related complaints.

by Julian Chokkattu
13 Aug 2020 at 9:00am

Motorola's first flagships in years are fantastic in many ways, but the Edge and Edge Plus have high price tags and too many quirks.

by Kimon Drakopoulos
13 Aug 2020 at 9:00am

Rather than tracking individual exposures, we should be using them for real-time info on what activities and locations may be responsible for the spread.

by Will Knight
13 Aug 2020 at 8:00am

A top Trump adviser outlines a blueprint for experimenting with wireless tech on bases and using software to counter China's lead in hardware.

by Parker Hall

They won't grow a magic beanstalk, but the Galaxy Buds Live offer a unique fit, good sound with decent noise-canceling, and a price that's easy to stomach.

by Tom Simonite
13 Aug 2020 at 7:00am

Adobe is adding technology to tag images with metadata, part of an effort to identify deepfakes and other efforts at manipulation.

by Gilad Edelman

Nandini Jammi’s advertiser boycotts scared brands away from journalism and into shady ad tech. Now she wants to teach marketers to think for themselves again.

by Eric Niiler

A group of ecologists and biologists say the world's ticks, leeches, and tapeworms need love and conservation, too. Now they've got a 12-point plan.

by Jack Hitt
13 Aug 2020 at 6:00am

This fall, thousands will show up to vote only to find out they’ve been purged. Lots of activists—and one Ohio man with lots of cats—are on a quest to fix that.

Car Corner
High Gear Media Network Feed
Latest news, reviews, and more from around the High Gear Media network of sites

by news@thecarconnection.com (Aaron Cole)
The Toyota Land Cruiser SUV is an icon. Its go-anywhere, haul-anything attitude is a direct link between utility vehicles from the past and modern luxury SUVs of today. It’s nostalgic and useful in all the right ways, but it’s not as comfortable as models that have embraced luxury more than utility. Our 5.0 TCC Rating is completely...

by news@thecarconnection.com (Martin Padgett)
12 Aug 2020 at 7:57am
The 2021 Honda CR-V looks innocuous enough. You’d be hard-pressed to tell that it’s one of the reasons so many sedans have dried up and blown away. With the CR-V, Honda does well in all facets of family-wagon performance, so long as the acceleration bar’s not set too high. Some competitors have longer warranties and more...

11 Aug 2020 at 12:07pm
The hills are calling and the 2021 Toyota 4Runner is ready to answer the call. This year, the 4Runner returns with a new special edition but not much else has changed from last year. The blocky, off-road SUV earns a 5.2 TCC Rating. Its capability and style give it some legs, but outdated safety scores and gas mileage take it down at the kneecaps...

by news@thecarconnection.com (Robert Duffer)
10 Aug 2020 at 2:27pm
The 2020 Tesla Model Y seeks to fuel the mass adoption of electric vehicles. With its punchy acceleration, exceptional efficiency, peerless infotainment, and over-the-air updates that freshen the crossover SUV like a smartphone, it just may. But some build quality issues and misleading driver assistance features could derail the Tesla hype wagon...

10 Aug 2020 at 8:00am
If big is better, then the redesigned 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe betters what it’s been. The full-size SUV expands in length, cargo room, and third-row passenger room to seat up to eight passengers in comfort, abetted by a softer suspension setup. Built on the Silverado pickup truck platform and mechanically similar to the larger 2021 Chevy...

by news@thecarconnection.com (Martin Padgett)
9 Aug 2020 at 7:00am
The 2021 Hyundai Sonata banks on fewer rivals competing for buyers of mid-size sedans. The way it’s chosen to surface in the still-congested group: dramatic flair, along with lots of features and value. With the Sonata, Hyundai’s shaped a silhouette with luxury overtones, crafted a cabin with the same, and stocked it all with some of...

High Gear Media Network Feed
13 Aug 2020 at 11:45am
Latest news, reviews, and more from around the High Gear Media network of sites

13 Aug 2020 at 11:45am
Hyundai on Wednesday filled out its upcoming compact sedan lineup by detailing its sporty version. When it arrives later this year, the 2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line sedan will offer an uprated 1.6-liter turbo-4 that makes 201 horsepower, an increase of 54 hp over the standard sedan. The Elantra N Line also will offer a standard 6-speed manual...

13 Aug 2020 at 11:23am
2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line debuts: Small sedan lineup grows bigger The 2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line replaces the Sport trim of the compact sedan with a turbocharged engine and manual transmission. 2021 Toyota Sequoia SUV gets price bump, adds Nightshade Edition The 2021 Toyota Sequoia three-row SUV starts at $51,465, up $160 from 2020 despite...

13 Aug 2020 at 10:30am
The 2021 Toyota Sequoia three-row SUV starts at $51,465, up $160 from 2020 despite offering the same equipment. Top Limited and Platinum trims increase by $170. The price includes a $1,365 destination fee, up $40 from 2020. At the other end of the range, the 2021 Toyota Sequoia in Platinum trim with four-wheel drive and seven seats costs $70,740...

12 Aug 2020 at 11:35am
The 2021 Mazda CX-3 small crossover SUV remains unchanged from 2020 and starts at the same $21,740 price, including $1,100 destination fee, the automaker announced this week. The only news may be that it's still available to shoppers in the U.S. A larger 2020 Mazda CX-30 small crossover, designed for North American drivers, now shares the same...

12 Aug 2020 at 11:30am
2021 Honda CR-V review With a TCC Rating of 6.5 out of 10, the 2021 Honda CR-V racks up points in safety, comfort, and utility. Ford issues 3 recalls: Over 500,000 Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX crossovers affected The 2015-2018 Ford Edge and 2016-2018 Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs will be recalled for a brake hose leak that could increase the risk of a...

12 Aug 2020 at 11:00am
The 2015-2018 Ford Edge and 2016-2018 Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs will be recalled for a brake hose leak that could increase the risk of a crash, Ford announced Wednesday. The front brake hose could rupture in affected vehicles, causing a brake fluid leak. If the brake fluid level falls below a safe threshold, a brake fluid warning light should...

SCOA, 43 Lafayette Rd, Salisbury, MA (978) 462-2412

There have been some reports of COVID-19 phone scams going around, so we thought it'd be a good time to check in....

Posted by Salisbury Council on Aging on Wednesday, July 29, 2020

We're Back!!! The Hilton Center is reopening on June 6th with restrictions: - Activities will be limited to 10 people...

Posted by Salisbury Council on Aging on Monday, July 6, 2020

Are you looking for ways to volunteer from home? Send us "happy mail" (art, letters of support/encouragement, poems,...

Posted by Salisbury Council on Aging on Thursday, July 9, 2020

Did you know that Massachusetts has a Veterans benefit program called Chapter 115 that provides financial assistance?...

Posted by Salisbury Council on Aging on Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Special Shopping Hours for Seniors

two connected telephones

Telephone Reassurance and Friendly Visitor Program

The Salisbury Council on Aging's Telephone Reassurance and Friendly Visitor Program is available for those who don't get out often, are homebound or a bit lonely. The program has a friendly person call or visit several times a month to share conversation, memories and interests. Callers can also make regular phone calls, read, write notes and help with personal correspondence, initiate handcrafts or play games and cards.

The group brings trained volunteers to the homebound elderly and the disabled. Those who are lonely or isolated, as well as those who are sick or frail, but not in need of constant care or medical attention can benefit from socialization and conversation either at home or in a nursing home.

Those interested in the program should call the Salisbury Council on Aging at 978-462-2412.

Current Programs and Weekday Schedule

The SCOA holds various health-related clinics, learning and training classes, craft groups, and activity and game programs. See our newsletter for the current schedule of available activities and their schedules.

Daily Hot Lunch - Served each weekday at 11:20 a.m. at the Hilton Center. The suggested donation is $2 per meal for a person 60 and older. Reservations are a must and should be made two working days in advance. Call 978-462-2412 to register.

Home Delivered Meals - Meals are available for homebound elders. Please call Elder Services of Merrimack Valley at 800-892-0890 extension 490 to make arrangements.

Transportation - The Council on Aging wheelchair accessible van is available to seniors for transport to local appointments. The Van operates Monday, Tuesday from 8:30am to 2:00pm. On Wednesday the Van provides transportation to Market Basket Plaza and Wal-Mart Plaza in Seabrook. Pickup begins @ 9:00am. The cost for shopping is $4.00 donation roundtrip. Confirm pickup time when you call. Call 978-462-2412 to schedule a ride. Reservations must be scheduled at least two working days in advance.

SHINE - Questions on your health or prescription coverage? Our SHINE counselor holds monthly consults. Please call for a private appointment.

Internet Wi-Fi Access - At the Salisbury Council on Aging Hilton Center wireless internet connection is now available ... bring your own laptop if you don't want to use the computers in the Computer Room! We also have a fax machine and copy machine available.

Birthday Party - The third Thursday of every month we have a birthday party for all seniors whose birthday falls in the month. Everybody is invited to help the birthday seniors enjoy the day. Reservations are required, also please notify if you must cancel.

TRIPS - Salisbury Council on Aging has joined forces with Newburyport, Amesbury and Merrimac COA’s to offer you trips and social outings with local pickups and drop-offs. Call us at 978-462-2412 for more information on any future trips being planned.

Call the Council on Aging for more information about any of these programs, 978-462-2412.

The Salisbury Council on Aging is open
Monday - Thursday from 8:00AM - 3:30PM
Friday 8:00AM - 12:30PM

Centers for Disease Control - Covid-19

Johns Hopkins University Covid-19 Map

2019 Novel Coronavirus
10 Aug 2020 at 11:47am
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.

13 Aug 2020 at 12:00am
Staffing Resources

Previous COVID-19 Forecasts: Cases

Previous COVID-19 Forecasts

CDC works with partners to bring together weekly forecasts for COVID-19 deaths in one place. These forecasts have been developed independently and shared publicly. It is important to bring these forecasts together to help understand how they compare with each other and how much uncertainty there is about what may happen in the upcoming four weeks.

Testing in the U.S.

COVID-19 Electronic Laboratory Reporting Implementation by State

Learn about COVID-19 forecasts and modeling for new cases.

Contact Tracing

Healthcare Provider and Facility Guidance for Non-US Settings

Links to CDC Communication tools and materials

COVID-19 Employer Information for Gyms and Fitness Centers

Cases in U.S.

Worker Safety and Support

Data on COVID-19 during Pregnancy

What Gym and Fitness Center Employees Need to Know about COVID-19

Hiring In-home services or repairs

Resources for Refugee Resettlement Service Providers

COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country

12 Aug 2020 at 12:00am
COVID-19 and Seasonal Allergies FAQs

12 Aug 2020 at 12:00am
How CDC Determines the Level of a Country's COVID-19 Travel Health Notice

Social Security Administration Online
Online Services – Social Security Matters
30 Jul 2020 at 2:52pm
The Official Blog of Social Security

30 Jul 2020 at 2:43pm
During the current coronavirus pandemic, we continue to provide help to you and other people in your communities.  While our offices are not providing service to walk-in visitors due to COVID-19, we remain ready and able to help you by … Continue reading

16 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
We are committed to improving service to the millions of Americans who expect and deserve timely and accurate help from us.  This effort requires that we modernize our technology so we can provide our employees with effective, easy-to-use tools that … Continue reading

9 Jul 2020 at 3:10pm
With so many services available online through my Social Security, signing up for a secure account will help you conduct Social Security business from home. With your personal my Social Security account, you can:   Estimate your future benefits with our Retirement Calculator … Continue reading

1 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
We’re pleased to announce that we’ve added Connecticut, Ohio, and Utah to the growing list of states where you can go online to replace your Social Security card. In many cases, you may not need a replacement card. Most of … Continue reading

19 Mar 2020 at 11:22am
I want you to hear directly from me how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting our services. The first thing you should know is that we continue to pay benefits. Be aware that scammers may try to trick you into thinking … Continue reading

16 Mar 2020 at 5:45pm
All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. This decision protects the population we serve—older Americans and people with underlying medical conditions—and our employees during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. … Continue reading

Local Movie Theater Schedules
Vision Max Cinema
201 Elm Street, Salisbury, MA 01952
Cinemagic Salisbury
6 Merrill Street, Salisbury, MA 01952
Newburyport Screening Room
82 State Street, Newburyport, MA 01950
Salisbury Beach - South Live Cam

Local News - Local Sports Briefs
Front Page

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/local_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/local_news only for asset type(s) of article

13 Aug 2020 at 10:05am
AMC Theatres, the nation's largest movie theater chain, will reopen in the U.S. on Aug. 20 with retro ticket prices of 15 cents per movie.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:45am
NEWBURYPORT — Following months of discussions, surveys and efforts by a 70-person task force, the school district released its framework for reopening, which will be presented to and voted on by the School Committee on Monday night.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:55am
ROWLEY – The 48th season at Todd Farm Flea Market ended abruptly this week when Health Director Frank Marchegiani announced the town was following the state's latest COVID-19 social distancing requirements.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:04am
NEWBURYPORT — The city is directing the owners of a Harrison Street home to apply for a special permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals after being ordered to stop interior demolition said to be in violation of zoning approvals…

13 Aug 2020 at 4:58am
NEWBURY — Residents of Cottage Road and their neighbors on High Road vow to get to the root of why five maple trees in their neighborhood were to be cut down.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:01am
AMESBURY — The School Committee rejected a petition on Wednesday that asked officials to reconsider using the current elementary school location at 24 South Hampton Road for a new or renovated building.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:57am
NEWBURY — The Planning Board and Selectboard met briefly Tuesday before continuing their joint hearing until Aug. 26 at 7 p.m.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:30am

NEWBURYPORT – The Newburyport Chamber Music Festival will feature neighborhood “quartet caroling” around the city from Friday through Sunday as well as a livestreamed concert Saturday.

NEWBURYPORT – The Friends of the Newburyport Public Library recently received a $2,640 grant to support the needs of people with blindness or progressive loss of sight.

During the summers of 1889 and 1890, the sewers in wards 2, 3, and 4 were constructed under the supervision of Francis Curtis by J.A. Douglass contractor. In 1893 and 1894, the sewer was extended from Bromfield to Marlboro Streets,…

12 Aug 2020 at 8:30am
NEWBURYPORT — The city is ordering local homeowners to stop work on a Harrison Street house after what the zoning enforcement officer called an “egregious violation” of zoning approvals and building permits, according to the mayor.

12 Aug 2020 at 5:03am
AMESBURY — After delays caused by COVID-19, Lowell’s Boat Shop hopes to finish restoring a replica shallop, a small rowboat like the Pilgrims would have used, by the end of September for the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower’s voyage in…

12 Aug 2020 at 5:02am
NEWBURY — Following a School Committee discussion and vote Monday night, the Triton Regional School District opted to kick off the school year Sept. 16 with a fully remote learning model.

12 Aug 2020 at 4:59am
NEWBURYPORT — The City Council voted Monday to continue discussion of a yearlong city budget at a joint City Council and School Committee meeting Aug. 17.

12 Aug 2020 at 4:58am
AMESBURY — An exotic dancer arrested in November on drunken driving and other charges ended up spending eight days in jail after pleading guilty to most of the offenses Monday in Newburyport District Court.

12 Aug 2020 at 4:45am
WEST NEWBURY — A rising Pentucket Regional High School senior was accepted into the All-National Modern Band, a pop-rock ensemble made up of 16 high school instrumentalists and vocalists from across the country.

12 Aug 2020 at 4:30am
NEWBURYPORT – Last year, the Rotary Club of Newburyport and Dietz & Lynch Capital adopted the Spofford Road roundabout.

NEWBURYPORT — Newburyport Adult & Community Education is hosting a writing contest in which people are asked to write about what they enjoyed, discovered or learned while staying home during the pandemic.

The Newburyport Herald announced that the Misses Grimké of South Carolina would lecture on slavery at the Meetinghouse in Byfield on July 15, 1837. All interested were invited to attend. In 1836, William Lloyd Garrison hired Angelina and Sarah Grimké…

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news only for asset type(s) of article

13 Aug 2020 at 5:43pm
AUG. 13: About one in five Massachusetts have now been tested for COVID-19, according to the latest figures from the Department of Public Health.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:55am
ROWLEY – The 48th season at Todd Farm Flea Market ended abruptly this week when Health Director Frank Marchegiani announced the town was following the state's latest COVID-19 social distancing requirements.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:01am
AMESBURY — The School Committee rejected a petition on Wednesday that asked officials to reconsider using the current elementary school location at 24 South Hampton Road for a new or renovated building.

12 Aug 2020 at 3:00am
NEWBURYPORT – Native Sun, a longtime fashion boutique, will open a pop-up shop Thursday at 20 Pleasant St.

11 Aug 2020 at 7:50am
SALISBURY – A Lawrence man accused of threatening to kill a Salisbury Beach food stand owner in June was sentenced to 90 days in jail last Wednesday after pleading guilty to several charges during a hearing at Newburyport District Court.

11 Aug 2020 at 6:00am
AMESBURY – An E.F. Shea New England Concrete employee was flown by medical helicopter to a Boston area hospital Monday about 2:45 p.m. following an accident minutes earlier at the Haverhill Road plant.

11 Aug 2020 at 4:55am
AMESBURY – The lawyer for a local man accused of repeatedly biting a 4-year-old child 100 times last year argued in court that the most serious of the three charges against his client should be dropped.

11 Aug 2020 at 3:00am
Newburyport

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/regional_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/regional_news only for asset type(s) of article

13 Aug 2020 at 5:43pm
AUG. 13: About one in five Massachusetts have now been tested for COVID-19, according to the latest figures from the Department of Public Health.

13 Aug 2020 at 12:17pm
Even as the spread of the coronavirus appears to be under control on Cape Cod, officials worried about overcrowding on some the area's popular beaches are reminding residents and tourists how to "beach well" for the rest of the summer,…

13 Aug 2020 at 8:45am
Live music returns to Amesbury's Millyard

13 Aug 2020 at 5:03am
BOSTON — Gov. Charlie Baker is criticizing President Donald Trump's plan to extend federal unemployment benefits, saying it would divert crucial disaster relief money away from cities and towns.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:00am
BOSTON — The coronavirus outbreak is forcing testing centers to cancel college admission exams, creating a backlog of students seeking to take the SAT or ACT.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:59am
The number of deaths related to COVID-19 in Massachusetts in the previous 24 hours rose by 18 to 8,547 statewide, according to state health officials Wednesday.

12 Aug 2020 at 1:07pm

12 Aug 2020 at 5:05am
BOSTON — Gov. Charlie Baker is putting more than two dozen communities with rising COVID-19 infection rates on notice that they will be subject to beefed-up enforcement of the state’s reopening rules.

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/national_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/national_news only for asset type(s) of article

13 Aug 2020 at 3:36pm

13 Aug 2020 at 10:29am

CHICAGO — In the weeks before Joe Biden named Sen. Kamala Harris his running mate, women’s groups were readying a campaign of their own: shutting down sexist coverage and disinformation about a vice presidential nominee they say is headed for…

DALLAS _ Dallas city officials are investigating how police stormed and arrested peaceful protesters as well as the photographer who captured their violence five days after George Floyd’s death.

WASHINGTON — A report Wednesday by the State Department’s internal watchdog confirms news accounts that staffers at the U.S. Embassy in Britain have accused Woody Johnson, owner of the New York Jets and the U.S. ambassador, of making “insensitive” and…

WASHINGTON — No, Russia isn’t having a Sputnik moment.

11 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm

11 Aug 2020 at 4:30am

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in sports of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) sports only for asset type(s) of article

13 Aug 2020 at 2:32pm
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs released its updated guidance for youth, amateur and K-12 sports on Thursday, which mandate that all sports minimize or eliminate as much contact between participants as possible in order to be…

13 Aug 2020 at 1:00am
LYNN — Jared Dupere was tearing the cover off the ball when the pandemic wiped out the college baseball season back in March.

Nor'Easters advance

After months of being limited to virtual meetings and small group workouts, the New England Patriots finally took the field for their first practice of the season on Wednesday. The session was unpadded and the first contact practices won't start…

Global pandemic or not, there’s no offseason when it comes to thinking about the betterment of others.

12 Aug 2020 at 8:30pm
The second and final day of stroke play at the 117th Massachusetts Women’s Amateur took place Wednesday back at Essex County Club, culminating with a cut line of 23-over par as the tournament moves to a match play format down…

12 Aug 2020 at 6:00pm
It began a day later than originally scheduled, resulting in the NHL’s earliest-ever playoff starting time, and ended a little more than four hours later thanks to Saint Patrice.

12 Aug 2020 at 1:00am
BYFIELD — All season long, the Triton 17U summer baseball team has rolled 15 deep. Giving every player on its roster the chance to hit, Triton rolled through the Essex County Baseball League’s junior division, earning the top seed and…

The Daily News of Newburyport: Obituaries
13 Aug 2020 at 7:31pm
Listings for Obituaries on The Daily News of Newburyport

12 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Groveland, MA - Ellen M. (Horgan) Garfi, age 79, of Groveland, was a longtime resident of Groveland with her husband and after his death, passed in the quiet beauty of her home on Friday morning, August 7, 2020, with the comforting love of her family. She was the dedicated wife of the late Amos Garfi. After the death of her husband she shared the remainder of her life with John LeBlanc of Groveland. Born in Revere, February 25, 1941, she was the only child of the late John and Agnes (Doherty) Horgan and was a graduate of Immaculate Conception High School in Revere, Mass. Ellen continued her education by receiving her Licensed Practical Nurse from the Chelsea Soldiers Home and an Associate Degree from Northern Essex Community College becoming a registered nurse, which led to a lifelong dedicated career of caring for others. She worked over 20 years as the assistant head nurse at the Haverhill Manor Nursing Home in Haverhill. It was her love for her family and friends, her generous sense of humor, her nurturing ways, and her deep-rooted commitment to always do her best, that made her such an inspiration to everyone in her life. Her life was truly a treasure, and will continue to be, to her only son, John S. Garfi and wife Marianne of Groveland, her dearly beloved grandsons, Joseph with his girlfriend Nichole Palomo and Matthew with his wife Caroline, her two step-granddaughters, Melanie and Stephanie Poirier, as well as her "sister", Helen Hagopian, along with extended family and many dear friends. Due to the ongoing restrictions pertaining to Covid-19, services will be private for the family. A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date, when restrictions have been lifted. In lieu of flowers donations can be made to Alzheimer's Association, Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley, or Sarah's Place. Arrangements are by Elliott, Woodworth & Rogers Family Funeral Home, 35 Green Street, Newburyport.

12 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Newburyport, MA - Patrick John Boudreau, born on March 11, 1997 of Newburyport, Mass. passed away unexpectedly on August 11, 2020 at McLean Hospital, after an ongoing struggle with mental illness. He is survived by his parents, George and Susan Boudreau, brother and best friend Billy, aunts, Georgia Kacher, Eleni Kacher, and Angela Ackroyd who have been by his side during his most sad times, grandparents, George and Connie Boudreau, grandmother, Sonia Kacher, step-grandmother, Andrea Jones and many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends and his cat, Fiona. Patrick lived with compassion, curiosity, and courage, along with an unrelenting wit and dry humor. He had an extensive network of friends from around the world - a network that held him dear and looked after him. An avid consumer of news and politics, Patrick was always quick to share his thoughts and seek opinions. He enjoyed Russian novels, history, fishing, hockey, McDonalds and whoopie pies. Patrick was an honors student at University of Massachusetts Lowell studying Computer Science. Patrick was a kind and beautiful soul - he will be deeply missed by his family and friends. It is impossible to face the harsh reality of living without our Patrick in our lives. Patrick had worked long and hard to overcome his mental illness. It is essential to acknowledge and honor the progress he made while recognizing the struggle and toll it had on him. Mental illness is a silent epidemic. It will only be solved if we all acknowledge it and give it the attention and resources it deserves. This tragedy is a reminder that we as individuals need to show kindness to all - to talk, to listen, and to hear without judgement. It is also a reminder that we as a society need to better serve those that cannot always advocate for themselves. We need to fund mental illness treatment and recovery. We need services to facilitate active community participation and integration. Most importantly, we need to end the stigma associated with mental illness. This population is one that deserves attention and support; it is a population of incredible people, all too often leaving this world too early. "The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." - Elisabeth Kübler-Ross In lieu of flowers, please consider donating in Patrick's memory to the National Alliance of Mental Health - Massachusetts https://namimass.org/donate/ Services will be private to the family.

11 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Newburyport - Sheila was the beloved daughter of Daniel F. and Cecelia M. (Dollen) Horgan. She graduated from Newburyport High School in 1958 and enjoyed spending time with her fellow classmates through the years. Sheila graduated from Salem State University with a BS in elementary education and taught for seven years in the Newburyport school system. She stayed home to raise a family and after the children were in college, she became director of Community Service of Newburyport and helped many people. After retirement, she and her husband Koki, split their time between their home at Pawtuckaway Lake and traveling the country in their motor home for many enjoyable years. They were fortunate to have a deeply loving marriage of 58 years. Survived by husband Lukoki W. Leasure; children, Daniel F. Leasure and wife Danelle Leasure of Lenexa, Kansas, and Rev. Leslie A. Leasure of Oakland, Calif. She had two grandchildren, Brenden and Ainsley of Lenexa, Kansas. Donations in her memory may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, P.O. Box 98018, Washington, DC 20090-8018.

11 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Amesbury, MA - Constance Snow Aponas, 89, passed peacefully at her home on Friday, August 7, 2020, surrounded by those who loved her most. Born in Amesbury, June 6, 1931, Connie was the daughter of James M. and Lucinda (Hanley) Snow. A graduate of Amesbury High School, class of 1949, she then went on to receive an associate degree from Mount Ida College. After graduating from college, she met and married her late husband, Al Aponas. While raising a family of seven children, she worked as a Teacher's Assistant in the Ipswich School system. Connie's love and dedication to her faith, family, and friends was unconditional and freely shared. She was fun loving, had an easy smile and made friends wherever she went. She gifted her children with a home full of love and laughter, instilled strong values, a good work ethic and a strong faith in God. Connie loved working in her garden, playing bridge with friends and her many travels with Dave. Up until her early 80s, she was enjoying golf, ski trips, paddle boarding and bowling with her children and grandchildren. She kept family traditions alive with Christmases at the Farm with all the Snow family which nourished our love for each other. She especially treasured her evenings with Dave at the Farm and spending time with her family whether it be at the Farm, the Polish Open, Lake Winnipesaukee or Lake Champlain. Connie is survived by her loving and devoted partner, David C. Bailey Jr.; her daughters Mary MacDougall and husband John, Anne Rosenberger and husband Franz and sons Alfred Aponas and wife Theresa, Robert Aponas and wife Brenda, James Aponas and wife Tracey, John Aponas and wife Kerry, Stephen Aponas and wife Gayle. She was a cherished grandmother of 16: AJ, Andrew, Allie, Brett, Cassie, Jamie, Cody, Nicki, Meagan, Jack, Abby, Jake, Sam, Grace, Alex and Will; and a great-granddaughter, Zoe. She is predeceased by her husband Alfred S. Aponas; her brothers James M. Snow and Robert Edward (Ned) Snow; and sisters Barbara (Snow) O'Loughlin and Lucinda H. (Snow) Daly. She also leaves behind several generations of nieces, nephews, extended family and friends that she dearly loved. Due to the continued restrictions pertaining to COVID-19, services at Holy Family, Amesbury, and burial at Cowles Memorial Cemetery, Ipswich are private. In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made in memory of Connie to: www.lungstrong.org. (In memory of Mrs. Aponas). Arrangements are by Paul C. Rogers Family Funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury, MA.

9 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Amesbury - Norman M. Burrell, 93, of Amesbury, passed away Thursday, August 6, at the Port Healthcare Center in Newburyport with his family by his side. Mr. Burrell was born and raised in Amesbury and lived there all of his life. He attended Amesbury public schools and Amesbury High School. He left high school to enlist in the U.S. Navy in 1943 and participated in the invasion at Normandy. He was honorably discharged in 1946. Upon his return home he returned to work at the Amesbury Hat Factory where he would spend most of his long career as a Millwright, security guard, and general maintenance man for the various companies who would make the Hat Factory their place of business. Nobody knew that building better than he did. Mr. Burrell was part of "the greatest generation" and was a devoted husband, father, and grandfather. He believed in faith, family, and country. He built his own boat and named it after his wife, "Tiger Barb," as he loved taking family and friends out on the river and ocean. He was known to have a vivid memory, keen wit, and told countless colorful stories. The widower of Barbara (Bunnell) Burrell who died in 1972, he is survived by his children, Robert L. Burrell, of Amesbury and Stella M. Bomba and her husband, Dennis of Merrimac; his cherished grandchildren, Troy Burrell and his wife, Emicille, William Bomba and his wife, Courtney, Stacha Gabriele and her husband Troy, Samatha Bomba, Caitlin Valenzi, Dylan Valenzi and his wife, Chantel and William Valenzi and his fiancée, Ashley Papkey; nine great-grandchildren; Isabella and William Burrell, Clayton Smith, Levi Bomba, Macy, Grace and Selah Gabriele, and Aubrey and Evelyn Valenzi. He was predeceased by a son, William M. Burrell; a daughter, Mary C. Valenzi; brothers, William and Donald and a sister, Elizabeth "Betty" Droullard. Family and friends are respectfully invited to calling hours on Tuesday, August 11, from 4 to 7 p.m., at the Kevin B. Comeau Funeral Home, 486 Main St., Haverhill. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. in the funeral home. Burial with military honors will follow at the St. Joseph Cemetery, Haverhill Road (Route 110), Amesbury. Memorial donations may be made in his name to the Veterans Northeast Outreach Center, 10 Reed St., Haverhill, MA 01832. Please visit Comeau Funeral Home on Facebook, or www.comeaufuneral.com.

Randolph, VT - Gordon B. Graham, 98, formerly of Randolph died peacefully Saturday, August 1, 2020. He was born in Paterson, NJ to Joseph W. Graham and Florence (Bellows) Graham. He attended High School in White Plains, NY and enjoyed hanging around with his lifelong friend, David Griggs. He attended Cornell University and earned a degree in Electrical Engineering at Brown University. He was also a licensed Professional Engineer. He married Evelyn Jaques, who he met at the Grange Hall in Rowley, Mass, on September 4, 1949 in Newbury, Mass. They had 70 wonderful years together. He worked on the Polaris Missile and the F4U Corsair Plane. He loved telling the story about a large airplane taking off on a short runway. He started the Electrical Engineering program at Vermont Agricultural and Technical Institute (now VTC). He ran the Radio Club at VTC and was also a member of the University Club. He was active in the Randolph Players Group in the 1960's. He was always working on a project such as autos, woodworking, watch repair, oil painting and electrical work. He particularly loved the family get togethers. He had a keen interest in trains and enjoyed watching the trains with his grandchildren from his back porch. He also enjoyed his trips to various downtown businesses and the Herald Office on Thursdays for his newspaper. He was well known around town. He is survived by his loving wife, Evelyn Graham, Son Gordon Graham and wife, Heidi, daughter Polly Hunt and husband Clark, son Robert Graham and wife, Rachel and son, David Graham and wife Mary. Granddaughters' Rebecca Ricketts and husband, Chris, Gillian Graham and husband Robin Sleith, Ashley Wakefield and husband, Chris, Britney Graham, Fiona Graham, Olivia Graham and grandson, Alex Graham. A great-granddaughter Adalee Wakefield and a great-grandson, Ronan Sleith; and many nieces and nephews. Funeral arrangements are being made by Day Funeral Home and Twomey, LeBlanc & Conte Funeral Home. Family and friends are invited to Gordon's graveside service at Oak Hill Cemetery in Newburyport, on August 12, 2020 at 11 a.m. Contributions can be made to Mayo Rehabilitation and Continuing Care at 71 Richardson St, Northfield, VT 05663 or The Salvation Army of Northern New England at Gift Processing Center P.O. Box 401 Brattleboro, VT 05302-0401. To offer online condolences please visit www.tlcfuneralome.com.

Seabrook, NH - Rosalie (Kalashian) Wilson, age 87, of Seabrook, NH, former longtime resident of Newburyport, MA, passed peacefully, Tuesday afternoon, August 4, 2020, at Port Healthcare Center in Newburyport. Born in Newburyport, February 22, 1933, she was one of two daughters of the late Dickran and Irene (Deeranian) Kalashian and was a graduate of Newburyport High School. Rosalie was the devoted mother of five sons, and felt truly blessed with the onset of her numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. She was a loving, attentive mother, always ready to listen, and instill the importance of being respectful and considerate of others. She was especially fond of her three generations of grandchildren, and greatly enjoyed when they came to visit. She leaves behind her five sons, Joe Wilson, Henry Wilson and wife Kim, Bobby Wilson and wife Eleanor, Mike Wilson, and Lee Wilson and wife Leslye; her grandchildren Angela Lattime, Crissy Cahoon, Kenneth Wilson, Henry Wilson Jr., Amy Wilson, Bobby Wilson Jr., Cara Wilson, Heather Wilson, Robin Coffey, Michael Wilson Jr.; along with her 14 great-grandchildren and 3 great-great-grandchildren, who filled her life with much laughter and love. She was predeceased by her only sister, Elizabeth Syphers. Due to the continued restrictions of Covid-19, burial at Belleville Cemetery, Newburyport, will be private for the family. Arrangements are by Elliott, Woodworth & Rogers Family Funeral Home, 35 Green Street, Newburyport.

Amesbury, MA - Alyce LaBua, 82, of Amesbury and Lynnfield died peacefully after several days in hospice care surrounded by her loving family. She was raised in Hanover Township, PA, the daughter of the late Eva and Raymond Luby. Upon graduating high school, Alyce completed her nursing education and training at Mercy Hospital. She then moved to New York City and worked as a nurse at New York Lying-In Hospital at Cornell Medical Center. There she met a charming young doctor who would become her husband for the next 57 years. They started their life together at Fort Carson, Colorado and a short time later moved to Lynnfield, where she raised her four children. In addition to this, she was her husband's office manager for his medical practice, overseeing the first conversion of hand written records to computerized versions, as she was always up on the latest technology. Alyce enjoyed traveling the world with her husband, Len, and many special friends along the way. She loved experiencing new cultures. She enjoyed the beauty of botanical gardens and the sound of the ocean, where she would snap gorgeous pictures and search for the perfect seashell. She also spent some of her leisure time as an artist, whether she was painting or creating handmade jewelry. Alyce and Len retired to Hatter's Point in Amesbury where she continued these passions. She enjoyed playing card games and going to lunch with her wonderful friends there. She had so many close friends over the years and she cherished all of them. Alyce was a loving wife to her late husband, Leonard A. LaBua. She was an amazing mother to her son, Leonard Jr. (Julie), son Michael (Betty), son David, and her daughter, Maria (Chris); as well as a devoted grandmother to her six grandchildren. She is also survived by her dear sister, Gerri Kempinski (Stanley), and loved by her many nieces and nephews. In addition to her husband and her parents, she was predeceased by her sister and brother-in-law, Lucille and Raymond Bonk. A private burial service was held for the immediate family. A Celebration of Life ceremony will occur at a later time to be determined. In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Alyce LaBua can be made to benefit cancer research and mailed to Massachusetts General Development Office, 125 Nashua Street, Suite 540, Boston, MA 02114.

Amesbury, MA - Lewis R. "Charlie" Berry, Jr., age 99, longtime Amesbury resident, passed away Wednesday afternoon, August 5, 2020 at Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport. He was the beloved husband of Elsie M. (Ford) Berry, who died March 11, 1976. Born in Fitchburg, January 14, 1921, he was the son of Lewis R. and Effie (Harrington) Berry. A proud veteran of World War II, he served with the United States Army from December 26, 1942 until his honorable discharge on February 25, 1946 with the rank of Tech Sgt. He was the recipient of the European African Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Theater Campaign Ribbon and the Victory Medal. Charlie, as he was known by many, had a lifelong career as a master auto mechanic, working in Amesbury until his retirement. He was the "Ace" mechanic who could fix anything! Working on cars was a true passion of his. He leaves behind his three daughters, Donna H. Clark, Shirley M. Berry, and Karen R. Piche and husband Louis; his three sons, Lewis R. Berry, III, and wife Marcy, David W. Berry and Charles A. Berry; his one and only grandson, Timothy C. Berry-Duquette, who was his pride and joy, along with several generations of nieces and nephews, extended family and dear friends. He was predeceased by a son-in-law, Robert Clark, a daughter-in-law, Donna Berry, and all his siblings, Melvin Berry, Cynthia Levier, Marjorie Frank, Dottie Smith, Beverly Jesse, Rhoda O'Connell, and Freda Slocum. A private graveside service will held at Mt. Prospect Cemetery, Amesbury. In lieu of flowers, kindly consider making donations in memory of Charlie to Our Neighbors Table, Post Office Box 592, Amesbury, MA 01913. Arrangements are by Paul C. Rogers Family Funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury.

Exeter,NH - Beloved mother, grandmother, working woman, and community volunteer, Lillian Woron, age 97, of Hampton, New Hampshire passed away at Exeter Hospital on July 6, 2020. She led a full life. Born in Rowley on August 15, 1922 she was one of ten children of the late Esther (Chaney) and Truman Wile. The family moved to Newburyport when she was a young child. In addition to raising four children in Newburyport, Lillian worked at Hytron Radio and Electronics in Newburyport and Western Electric in North Andover. After relocating to Jensen Beach, Florida she was employed for many years at Pratt and Whitney before retiring in her comfortable home. In retirement Lillian took pride in her home and many volunteer activities around Jensen Beach that included dispatching for the local police department, delivering meals on wheels, and supporting the annual Pineapple Festival and the local chapter of the VFW. She enjoyed her travels throughout the Caribbean, North America, Europe, and the United Kingdom and her hobbies: gardening and golf. Attending several Masters tournaments was one of her highlights. Later in life Lillian returned to New England where she lived in Hampton, New Hampshire to be closer to her children and grandchildren who she adored. She was devoted to her family. We will all miss her large smile, her bright laughter, her wonderful stories, and the deep sense of love she had for her family. She will be in our hearts and thoughts forever. Lillian is survived by two sisters; Shirley Donnally and Janice Ruaschnot; by her children Ernest Woron, Victoria Pierce, Deborah Woron-Masia, and Marcia Sims; by her grand and great-grandchildren; and by many nieces and nephews. Arrangements will be private.

Kelseyville, CA - On Sunday, July 19, 2020 one of the brightest, warmest-hearted, utterly fearless, most adventurous, rascally, and fun-loving souls ever to grace the planet-made the journey back to his true home. The day before, Joel and his girlfriend Carrie had driven down to the Napa Valley area to spend the weekend with friends. Enjoying an afternoon of swimming and boating on Lake Berryessa, Joel did something he always loved and had done hundreds of times since childhood-jumping off high rocks (cliffs, bridges, masts...) into deep water. This time however, unbeknownst to anyone, the way he landed created a small tear in his spleen that would quietly begin taking his life. Joel collapsed mid-morning the following day, received immediate medical attention, but all efforts to revive him failed. Never very far from the water, Joel was born at home on Cinco de Mayo in his grandparents' house on the banks of the Merrimack, into a celebrating crowd of eleven; and for the next forty years, he continued to be the life of any party he was invited to (and likely a few he wasn't). Raised and barely educated in Newburyport (with a couple of very early years in, yes, Intercourse, Pa), before Joel even entered high school he had traveled extensively with his missionary father across the US, central Europe, and much of Africa. We have photos of him at fourteen, grinning from ear to ear the day he received his skydiving certification in Johannesburg. He loved all manner of tomfoolery and fast-paced living - motorcycling, skateboarding, sailing, snowboarding, scuba diving, kite flying, bar hopping, raving and East Coast hardcore. Among his friends he proved to be a charming and persuasive Pied Piper, enthusiastically inviting all to join him in as much outrageous (and not always legal) fun as possible. In his late teens, following his older brother Benjamin to the west coast, Joel enrolled in Santa Barbara City College and became certified in deep-water diving. All along the waterfront, at all hours of the day, Joel supported himself by delighting passengers with a pedi-cab service called " Rolls Roy." By his mid 20's however, he returned to his true avocation (one shared with his father) as an arborist and professional tree climber-the higher the better. He trained in Colorado (where he was, once upon a time, married to the lovely and equally warm-hearted Miyoko Green), and soon gained a reputation in and around Denver as an expert and fearless high climber. His late 20's found him on the other side of the world, traveling with underwater cinematographer Kate Garrett through the South Seas of Australia, New Zealand and much of Polynesia (including a near-fatal trip to Tonga). After a short stint in Kauai, Joel eventually returned to the west coast and settled down near the Cobb Mountain area, a few hours north of San Francisco. Initially training crews for Davey Tree Service, Joel later branched out on his own as an ISA certified arborist with Roy's Tree Care. As in the Rockies, he soon gained notoriety as one of the most intrepid and agile climbers in northern California, often single-handedly taking on jobs with only his chainsaw and climbing gear-that larger companies wouldn't touch without a full crew and elaborate machinery. During the spring of 2016, Joel set up camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains, where he designed, and then led a team of climbers in constructing, a zip-line adventure course hundreds of feet above ground. It currently operates as Redwood Canopy Tours. Those are a few highlights of what Joel did, but what those of us who knew him will remember most, is who Joel was. His Aunt Kathy captured it best: he never met a stranger. Everyone who crossed his path, truly the world over, was welcomed as a friend. Joel was always ready to lend a hand, lend an ear, change your flat, bring in a load of wood, stuff five dollars into your homeless pocket, or invite you home for a meal. And no matter where he was or how many sheets in, Joel remained a faithful, ragamuffin disciple, always eager to share-over a coffee or a beer-the good news of God's infinite and merciful love. No one who knew Joel ever really expected him to "...go gently into that good night." Truth is, he essentially went out the way he came in-partying with his peeps. A week after his death, at a well-known outlaw motorcycle clubhouse, Joel's amazing Kelseyville 'family' threw one of the most outrageous and fun memorial services anyone could've asked for, with his Harley Davidson, lovingly detailed and decorated, parked right inside on center stage. (Amidst the flowing tears and raucous laughter, his mother heard stories that made her immensely relieved to remember it was no longer possible for him to be in harm's way.) Joel packed several lifetimes into his 40 years, and lived them all full out, ultimately sliding face-first into home plate, arms outstretched, covered in mud, and still grinning from ear to ear. We take great comfort in knowing that he would've been immediately gathered up with shouts of joy into the waiting arms of his beloved father. Joel was predeceased by all his grandparents: Matthew and Pauline Wall, Robert & Margery McGlew, and Lawrence Roy, Sr.; by his uncle, Matthew Wall, and also by his father, Lawrence 'Bud' Roy, Jr. Joel is survived by his loving partner Carrie Powell of Kelseyville, Calif., his mother, Stephanie [Wall] Roy of Grants, NM, his older brother, Benjamin Roy of Newburyport, and his younger brother Daniel Roy, sister-in-law Masako Roy, and nephew Sato Roy of Cambridge, MA. He leaves aunts and uncles Kathy & Rusty Brown of Salisbury, Veronica Wall of Amesbury, JoAnn and Raymond Whitley of Salisbury, and Jennifer Hills of Amesbury. He will also be missed by his dear cousins Eric Brown, Sarah [Whitley] Poulin, and Philip Whitley, Maya Zolnay, and Adam Rozumek. And until it's his turn to cross the Rainbow Bridge, Joel will be forever missed by his beloved dog, Archer. An outdoor, private, Covid-safe memorial service celebrating Joel's life will be held on Saturday, August 15th at 1 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. This event will be streamed on YouTube and Instagram live @joyhustle. Check Benjamin, Stephanie, or Joel Roy's FB page for details. A memorial video of Joel's life will be posted on their FB pages at a later date.

Hudson, FL - Mary "Kathy" Horgan, 71, of Newburyport, Mass., passed away peacefully on August 6, 2020, in Hudson, Fla., after a long battle with breast cancer. She leaves her loving husband of 49 years, Jack Horgan; a daughter Katie Horgan; and a grandson, Jack of Lihue, Hawaii. She also leaves her sibling Eileen and Mike Noyes of Byfield, Mass.; a niece Keri and Josh Crooks of North Hampton, N.H.; a nephew Mike Noyes of Newburyport; a niece Sara and Casey Harrison of Byfield; and many cousins. Kathy worked for John Hancock for 10 years and for the Knolledge Nursery School until her retirement. Kathy loved going to the beach with her friends and out to dinner. She will be missed by many.

Seabrook, NH - Laura J. "Lady" Eaton, 60, of Seabrook, died Friday, August 7, 2020, at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Mass., after a lengthy illness. She was born in Newburyport, Mass., February 15, 1960, one of 16 children of the late Leonidas and Laura C. (Brown) Eaton. A lifelong resident of Seabrook, Lady attended Winnacunnet High School and later worked for Seabrook Shellfish and Barr & Bloomfield Shoe Company. She enjoyed fishing, rides to the mountains, playing cards and scratch tickets. She leaves her longtime companion of 45 years Herbert Merrill as well as her two sons, Herbert and Keith Eaton all of Seabrook whom she loved dearly. She also leaves her siblings, Charles Marshall, Lillian Knowles, Cheryl Perkins, Nancy Barry, Cathy Mills, Clyde, Stephen, George, Richard, and David Eaton; many nieces and nephews. In addition to her parents she was predeceased by her siblings, Byron, Robert and Herbert Marshall, Leonidas Eaton Jr., and Allen Eaton. Visiting hours will be from 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, August 11, 2020, at the Remick & Gendron Funeral Home-Crematory, 811 Lafayette Road, Hampton. Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Wildwood Cemetery, South Main Street, Seabrook. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited. Social distancing guidelines to be followed and masks are required. In lieu of traditional remembrances, donations may be made to the family in their time of need. Please visit www.RemickGendron.com to view Lady's memorial website, sign her tribute wall or for directions.

Newburyport, MA - Linda L. George, age 69, lifelong Newburyport resident, passed away Saturday evening, August 8, 2020, just eight days shy of her 70th Birthday. Born in Newburyport, August 16, 1950, she was one of three children of the late Ivan L. and Agnes L. (Perry) George and was a graduate of Newburyport High School, then went on to attend Northern Essex Community College in Haverhill. Linda was an Insurance Rep, having worked at the Briggs Insurance Agency in Amesbury until her retirement. She absolutely loved her feline companion, Annabelle, enjoyed walks with her friends through Newburyport, especially her childhood friend, Sue LaBay, and also enjoyed her weekly salon visits with Wendy and Paula. Although Linda had no children, she was extremely fond of her several generations of nieces and nieces, who filled her life with abundant joy. She leaves behind her sister, Marjorie P. Maguire and husband James; her sister-in-law, Katherine Wysong; her two nieces, Majja Dennis and husband Jeff and Betsy J. Malenfant, and husband Wayne; her two nephews, Neil F. Wile and wife Tammy and Stephen A. Malenfant and wife Kathleen; two grandnieces, Jaime and Nicole; five grandnephews, Brendan, Colin, Parker, Cooper, and Michael; seven great-grandnephews, Donovan, Trevor, Jacoby, Osiris, Odin, Orion and Conor, along with extended family and dear friends. In addition to her parents, she was predeceased by her only brother, Jack P. Wysong. An hour of visitation will be held Friday, August 14, 2020, from 12 to 1 p.m., at the Highland Chapel of Paul C. Rogers Family funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury, followed by private services for the family. In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation in memory of Linda to the Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society, 63 Elm Street, Salisbury, MA 01952.

Merrimac - Robert Norman Brunault, 91, a resident of Merrimac, died at his home surrounded by his loving family, Fri. morning on Aug. 7, 2020. He was born in Haverhill on Nov. 25, 1928, to the late Honorenus and Marie Louise (Ratté) Brunault. Robert was always known as Norman. He was a graduate of Haverhill Trade School before his induction in the U.S. Army. He served our country proudly with the 278th Infantry during the Korean War. Upon his return from service, Robert was employed by Western Electric as a Machinist for 39 years until his retirement in 1990. He was a life member of the DAV, the American Legion and the Western Electric Pioneers. Robert enjoyed traveling with his wife Julie, especially their cruises to Alaska and trips to Ireland. He also enjoyed his time spent at home with family and friends. Robert is survived by his wife Julie Ann (Murray) Brunault of Merrimac; children, Alan Brunault of Merrimac, Brian Brunault and his wife Gale of West Newbury, and Debra Lay and her husband Doug of Union, Maine; grandchildren, Karen Ann Duguay, Kelly Lynn Brunault, Shannon Catherine Brunault, and Brett Hamilton Phinney; great-grandson, Andrew Paul Duguay; as well as many nieces and nephews. Robert was predeceased by his four brothers, Lionel, Roland, Maurice, and Paul Brunault. Family and friends are invited to Robert's calling hours from 4 to 8 p.m. on Tues., Aug. 11, 2020, at the Twomey, LeBlanc, & Conte Funeral Home, 193 High St., Newburyport, MA 01950. THERE IS NO LONGER ANY PARKING AVAILABLE BEHIND THE FUNERAL HOME PER ORDER OF THE CITY OF NEWBURYPORT. Funeral Mass at the Immaculate Conception Church and burial at St. Mary Cemetery will be private. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Brunault's name to Merrimac Valley VNA and mailed to Home Health Foundation, 360 Merrimack Street, Building 9, Lawrence, MA 01843. For directions or to offer online condolences please visit www.tlcfuneralhome.com.

6 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Auburndale, FL - Dana B. ALLISON, formally of Newton, NH and then Florida passed away on July 28, 2020 after a long illness. He was born May 29, 1942 in Newburyport. He was the son of the late Chalmers V. Allison and Joan B. (Heath) Allison. Dana was a long time educator at Pentucket Regional High School in West Newbury. Dana leaves behind his two brothers, his niece and her family, many cousins, and his former wife Judy. He was predeceased by his parents and his first wife, Nancy Ann (Brown) Allison. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made in his name to the Pentucket Regional Scholarship Foundation, PO Box 36, Groveland, MA 01834. Oak Ridge Funeral Care, Winter Haven, FL. 33881

Solve Our Daily Crossword Puzzle

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Daily Bits and Bites
Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...

spell the word:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

Hangman
The Town Common - Digital
US Special Committee on Aging

The United States Senate's Special Committee on Aging, currently chaired by Senator Susan M. Collins (R-ME), was established in 1961 as a temporary committee. It was granted permanent status in February, 1977. While special committees have no legislative authority, they can study issues, conduct oversight of programs, and investigate reports of fraud and waste. Note: Senior victims of fraud can report it to the Fraud Hotline.

The Special Committee on Aging has served as a focal point in the Senate for discussion and debate on matters relating to older Americans, and often submits its findings and recommendations for legislation to the Senate. The Committee additionally publishes materials of assistance to those interested in public policies which relate to the elderly.

For more information, visit the Committee's press releases page. It is a gold mine of legislative issue and hearing information, and resource links, plus: you can sign up for e-News; order publications; view the latest list of issues and press releases; get prescription assistance ... and more!

Boston - Nation - World News
Globe Front Page

Massachusetts State Lottery Commission
13 Aug 2020 at 1:56pm
Current Winning Numbers

13 Aug 2020 at 12:56pm

12 Aug 2020 at 12:40am

Draw ID: 2424
Winning Number: 08-22-29-43-56     Mega Ball: 09     Megaplier: 4
Current Jackpot: $24 Million
Jackpot Winners: None
Next Draw Date: 08/14/2020 Friday
Estimated Jackpot: $31 Million
Estimated Cash Option: $24.9 Million
Video: https://youtu.be/p8gb6qp8my0

13 Aug 2020 at 1:36am

Draw ID: 1099
Winning Number: 02-06-18-36-37     Powerball: 21     Powerplay: 2
Current Jackpot: $168.5 Million
Jackpot Winners: 1
Next Draw Date: 08/15/2020 Saturday
Estimated Jackpot: $20 Million
Estimated Cash Option: $16.6 Million
Video: https://youtu.be/3UTvQKyct58

10 Aug 2020 at 11:29pm

Draw ID: 878
Winning Number: 04-05-16-19-37     Lucky Ball: 01
Current Jackpot: $1,000
Next Draw Date: 08/13/2020 Thursday
Estimated Top Prize: $1,000
Video: https://youtu.be/j305255s-yE

12 Aug 2020 at 10:58pm

Draw ID: 3851
Winning Number: 04-06-09-37-40-49     ST Doubler: 2
Current Jackpot: $3,333,092
Next Draw Date: 08/15/2020 Saturday
Estimated Jackpot: $3,400,000
Estimated Cash Option: $3,110,000
Video: https://youtu.be/ynuUazj0-BI

12 Aug 2020 at 9:57pm

Draw ID: 5564
Winning Number: 07-15-20-24-34
Current Jackpot: $100,000
Estimated Top Prize: $100,000
Video: https://youtu.be/VUE7XWz8fFM

12 Aug 2020 at 7:54pm

Draw ID: 19932
Winning Number: 3-6-2-6
Payouts:
Exact 4: $5,363   Exact 3: $751   Exact 2: $64   Exact 1: $6
Any 4: $447   Any First 3: $125   Any Last 3: $250
Video: https://youtu.be/cUAz15koW3E

13 Aug 2020 at 12:56pm

Draw ID: 19933
Winning Number: 6-9-6-4
Next Draw Date: 08/14/2020 Friday
Payouts:
Exact 4: $5,389   Exact 3: $754   Exact 2: $65   Exact 1: $6
Any 4: $449   Any First 3: $251   Any Last 3: $126
Video: https://youtu.be/5xXoLyEyfnY

NYT > Top Stories
NYT > Top Stories

13 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm
President Trump announced that Israel and the United Arab Emirates would establish “full normalization of relations” and that in exchange Israel would forgo for now “declaring sovereignty” over occupied West Bank territory.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm
Five communities in South Texas have become leading hot spots in the United States. Fewer new jobless claims and a rising deficit could further hamper stimulus talks.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:00pm
New state claims fell below one million for the first week since March. But jobless ranks remain vast, and a White House relief plan faces hurdles.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:41pm
The department’s civil rights division accused the university of violating the Civil Rights Act by discriminating against Asian-American and white applicants.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:08pm
President Trump falsely suggested that Ms. Harris, who was born in California, was not eligible for the vice presidency because her parents were immigrants.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:35pm
The story of her career can be explained, in part, by a series of dramatic moments during congressional hearings and primary debates. Here are five of them.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:34pm
Followers of the pro-Trump conspiracy theory are winning elections and worrying moderate Republicans. Sound familiar?

13 Aug 2020 at 11:32am
Distrust of the president and his motives hardened the conviction of some educators that teaching in person was unsafe, helping drive union opposition.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:42pm
In March and April, death rates rivaled those seen during the country’s deadliest pandemic, a new study finds. “What 1918 looked like is basically this.”

13 Aug 2020 at 12:04pm
Children who lost their parents in the pandemic are fighting to hold on to what is left of their families.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:05pm
When estranged parents take children across borders, a shadowy industry of “recovery agents” can get them back — for a fee.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm
Here’s what you need to know at the end of the day.

National News | Boston.com
National News | Boston.com
12 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
Boston.com

12 Aug 2020 at 3:34pm
"My story is an outlier."

12 Aug 2020 at 12:02pm
Greene’s victory came as six states were holding elections on Tuesday, with Rep. Ilhan Omar holding off a well-funded primary challenge in Minnesota.

12 Aug 2020 at 11:50am
On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or […]

12 Aug 2020 at 11:06am
Governments and restaurant owners wanted to get back to business. But bars and restaurants have become a focal point for clusters of COVID infections.

12 Aug 2020 at 8:29am
“I’m SO looking forward to seeing Kamala take on Mike Pence on the debate stage.”

11 Aug 2020 at 3:09pm
Joe Biden is on the cusp of announcing the biggest, and possibly most consequential, decision of his political career with the unveiling of his running mate

11 Aug 2020 at 2:16pm
Gabe Rice began sheltering in his suburban Phoenix home with his wife and three youngest children in March. They worked remotely, learned remotely and put social events on hold to hunker down alongside much of the country. It was challenging and frustrating, but, Rice initially assumed, temporary. It seemed like a plausible plan to help […]

10 Aug 2020 at 1:47pm
DALLAS, Ga. – The photos showed up on social media just hours into the first day of school: 80 beaming teens in front of Etowah High School near Atlanta, with not a mask on a single face and hardly six inches of distance between them – let alone the recommended six feet. Amanda Seghetti, a […]

7 Aug 2020 at 1:25pm
Nearly every country has struggled to contain the coronavirus and made mistakes along the way. China committed the first major failure, silencing doctors who tried to raise alarms about the virus and allowing it to escape from Wuhan. Much of Europe went next, failing to avoid enormous outbreaks. Today, many countries — Japan, Canada, France, […]

7 Aug 2020 at 9:07am
On a bright October day last fall, Ebony Brown-Olaseinde and her husband, Segun Olaseinde, found out that their longtime dream had finally been realized: They were going to be parents. After three years spent trying to conceive, they had succeeded through in vitro fertilization – and they soon learned that their twins, a boy and […]

World | Boston.com
World | Boston.com
8 Aug 2020 at 1:26am
Boston.com

7 Aug 2020 at 9:24pm
The plane "overshot the runway in rainy conditions" with 190 people on board, then careened down a 35-foot slope, India's aviation minister said.

6 Aug 2020 at 4:46pm
“One thing came into my mind: Now you are going to die.”

4 Aug 2020 at 10:13pm
The massive explosions in a Beirut port on Tuesday provoked fear, then speculation after an eerie, white cloud enveloped the lenses of bystander videos, with many suggesting online that it looked something like a nuclear blast. But the building consensus among arms experts and Lebanese officials is that the explosion, which killed at least 63 […]

4 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
A massive explosion has shaken Lebanon’s capital Beirut, wounding a number people and causing widespread damage

31 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
After a stumbling start, the country has gone from being a global pariah to a model — however imperfect — of viral containment that holds lessons for its neighbors and for the United States.

20 Jul 2020 at 11:50am
Scientists at Oxford University say their experimental coronavirus vaccine has been shown in an early trial to prompt a protective immune response in hundreds of people who got the shot

10 Jul 2020 at 3:23pm
"That’s a heck of a birthday party to recall, and they’ll remember that one for a long time."

9 Jul 2020 at 6:14pm
PARIS – Notre Dame Cathedral will be restored exactly as it was before the 2019 fire that destroyed much of the historic landmark, the French government announced Thursday evening. “The President of the Republic became convinced of the need to restore Notre-Dame de Paris as closely as possible to its last complete state, coherent and […]

9 Jul 2020 at 1:21pm
SEOUL, South Korea — The mayor of Seoul, South Korea’s most powerful official after the president, was found dead by the police, hours after his daughter reported him missing, the police said Friday. A Seoul police officer confirmed the discovery of Park Won-soon’s body in a hill in northern Seoul but said he could offer […]

8 Jul 2020 at 5:40pm
LONDON — Ever since the coronavirus emerged in Europe, Sweden has captured international attention by conducting an unorthodox, open-air experiment. It has allowed the world to examine what happens in a pandemic when a government allows life to carry on largely unhindered.

| Boston.com
 | Boston.com
14 Aug 2020 at 12:06am
Boston.com

13 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
Right winger David Pastrnak was announced as unfit to participate about 20 minutes before Thursday’s expected puck-drop time for Game 2 against the Carolina Hurricanes, leaving the Bruins without one of the NHL’s top goal-scorers. Prior to the team’s arrival in Toronto, Pastrnak missed several practices for the same reason back in Boston. Pastrnak played […]

13 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
Chris Sale has had to adjust his rehab from Tommy John surgery because of the coronavirus pandemic

13 Aug 2020 at 7:21pm
The Celtics will face the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round of the playoffs. Because the NBA restarted its season at Walt Disney World’s campus, there is technically no home-court advantage. Still, Boston earned the higher seed and will be the designated “home team” for Games 1, 2, 5, and 7. Below is the series […]

13 Aug 2020 at 6:34pm
"We've knocked on thousands of doors talking directly to people that don't care about my sex life. They care about how they're going to put food on the table."

13 Aug 2020 at 6:11pm
The Rays-Red Sox game at Fenway Park on Thursday was delayed for about four minutes in the top of the third inning by a drone flying outside the park beyond the right-field bleachers

13 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm
As the people that run baseball get smarter, the games themselves have become far less interesting.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:14pm
It's time to check the tide schedule, officials say.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm
Partly cloudy with comfortable humidity levels.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Twenty precincts have changed polling locations this election cycle.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:47pm
Patriots offensive lineman Dustin Woodard, who was chosen in the seventh round of the draft by New England this past spring, has decided to retire, per a league source. Woodard is a 6-foot-1, 290-pounder who was All-American Athletic Conference first team in 2018. He played center and guard over the course of his college career, […]

Google Alert - US Breaking News
13 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm

13 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm
Latest Breaking News. “Black Lives Matter” mural defaced at South Windsor town hall driveway · “Black Lives Matter” ...

13 Aug 2020 at 3:37pm
Refresh for updates on this breaking news situation. Loading more articles... KMBC Kansas City.

13 Aug 2020 at 3:19pm
But after his breaking-news edit, Kamala Harris's page on “the free ... media and on online platforms: claims that she's not really an African American.

13 Aug 2020 at 3:07pm
U.S. hotel demand likely won't see a full recovery until 2023, according to a new ... Hotel occupancy on Oahu stood at 20% last week, STR said. ... hotels are sorely missing business travel and group events like conferences and ...

13 Aug 2020 at 1:48pm
Consequently, on page 866 of this issue, the results of Mousa's (3) new field experiment are breaking news. Mousa intervened in amateur Christian ...

13 Aug 2020 at 12:50pm
Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves posted the comment last weekend on his ... Quaker Foods North America dropped its Aunt Jemima image and name in ... the court for removal of elected officials," Burke told NBC News on Thursday.

13 Aug 2020 at 12:18pm
Breaking news, commentary, comprehensive coverage, and local profiles. Together with Paso Robles Magazine, mailing 30,000 monthly copies to our ...

13 Aug 2020 at 11:56am
The U.S. also indicted two Turkish nationals, Mehmet Akti and Hüsamettin Karatas ... Get breaking news and insider analysis on the rapidly changing world of ... Michael R. Sherwin, acting United States attorney for the District of ... case “historical and unprecedented" at a news conference in Washington.

13 Aug 2020 at 11:51am
BEIRUT - Visiting U.S. Under Secretary for Political Affairs David Hale says the Federal Bureau of ... THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE.

13 Aug 2020 at 11:15am
Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics. U.S. officials described the agreement, to be known as the Abraham Accord, as the first ...

13 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. ... The joint statement from the U.S., the UAE and Israel said delegations would meet in the coming weeks to ...

13 Aug 2020 at 10:55am
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP's earlier story follows below. DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — President Donald Trump said on Thursday ...

Google Alert - AP News Headlines
13 Aug 2020 at 2:22pm

13 Aug 2020 at 2:22pm
(AP) — The ongoing dispute between Montana Gov. ... the governor announced the decision during a live-streamed news conference on Wednesday.

12 Aug 2020 at 2:11pm
ATLANTA (AP) — A suburban Atlanta school district temporarily stopped ... Etowah High School was among those that made headlines last week after a ... Follow AP's pandemic coverage at http://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and ...

12 Aug 2020 at 9:40am
(AP) — Joe Biden and Kamala Harris pushed past their one-time political ... issues of race and civil rights, though she made headlines for assailing him for his ... While most of the cable news networks took the event live, the online ...

12 Aug 2020 at 9:18am
(AP) — People arrested in Portland since late May on non-violent ... The city's protests have dominated local news and made international headlines ...

12 Aug 2020 at 8:54am
Redstone built the company through aggressive acquisitions, but many headlines with his name focused on severed ties with wives, actors and ...

World
The Washington Post World section provides information and analysis of breaking world news stories. In addition to our world news and video, Post World News offers discussions and blogs on major international news and economic issues.

Australia’s experience shows life on campus will be very different to normal times as students face restrictions due to the pandemic.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:00am
The country has kept factories open during the outbreak. But some U.S. companies are wary of the Mexican president.

13 Aug 2020 at 2:03am
As the virus spread in March, authorities in England accomplished in 48 hours what advocates had urged for years.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:09am
They’ve shared their son’s picture on social media, desperate for any word. But no takers.

13 Aug 2020 at 3:58am
Authorities are investigating the blasts, which reduced a section of the city to rubble.

13 Aug 2020 at 1:48am
In England, a person who tested positive for the virus in March but died in a car crash in July could be called a covid-19 death.

12 Aug 2020 at 4:00am
For decades, Italian students have mostly sat two to a desk. The rush to make single-seat desks in time has proved an unexpected headache.

12 Aug 2020 at 2:15am
The World Health Organization said Wednesday that three of the Lebanese capital’s hospitals were largely out of service and that more were still flooded with the wounded.

12 Aug 2020 at 1:48am
Initial reports suggested that a landslide after heavy rains may have damaged the rail line.

12 Aug 2020 at 1:12am
Many Lebanese are demanding that money and aid in the form of food, medical care and housing be channeled only through trusted local organizations

12 Aug 2020 at 1:11am
Fears of new spikes in infections have loomed over Europe’s debate over how and when to reopen schools.

12 Aug 2020 at 1:08am
Joe Biden’s selection for running mate has an unusually international background.

Top Stories

22 May 2019 at 1:38pm

All aboard! The beloved Hobo and Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroads are getting ready to kick off another season.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm

Here are some tips on how to keep your kids focused on schooling.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm

Two inmates who were serving time at the Essex County Pre-release and Re-entry center, spent many hours volunteering on a six-acre farm on the property.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:14pm

The vacation home rental company Airbnb says it's taking legal action against a person who rented a California home where three people were shot over the weekend.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:06pm

New numbers from MassDOT show an interesting observation one of the state's busiest roads: the AM commute begins at 5 a.m. but hits a peak just one hour later.

13 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm

Joe Biden is calling for a nationwide mask mandate, citing health experts’ predictions that it could save 40,000 lives over the next three months.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:18pm

The Ivy League institution called the allegation “meritless.”

13 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm

The college sports world is making decisions about whether or not their fall seasons would be held amid the coronavirus pandemic.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:12pm

A Level 2 significant drought was declared Thursday in Massachusetts as the state deals with more than three months of below normal rainfall.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:03pm

Dr. Kristin Moffitt, in the division of infectious diseases at Boston Children's Hospital, answers what a successful reopening of schools will look like.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:00pm

When he asked JetBlue to bend the rules for him because he's a frontline nurse and his wife just died, the airline told him no.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:58pm

Boston is cracking down on restaurants trying to survive during the pandemic.

News : NPR
NPR news, audio, and podcasts. Coverage of breaking stories, national and world news, politics, business, science, technology, and extended coverage of major national and world events.

Gov. Brian Kemp suggests he will wait out his existing executive order and address Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms' refusal to lift her mask-wearing requirement when he signs a new one on Aug. 15.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:45pm
Apple pulled the popular shooting game from its App Store, after its developer tried to get around the fee Apple requires from in-app purchases.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:44pm
In closing five of its newsrooms permanently, Tribune Publishing said it saw "no clear path forward in terms of returning to work." But affected unions argued the closures were unnecessary.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:43pm
The Justice Department said its two-year investigation found that race is "the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year." Yale categorically denies the allegation.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:24pm
Three times as many Black Americans as whites have also become infected with the coronavirus, according to the National Urban League report, based partly on data from Johns Hopkins University.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm
The established indie singer and songwriter was accused in a report published by Pitchfork on Thursday.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:51pm
The DOJ calls this "the government's largest-ever seizure of cryptocurrency in the terrorism context." It also seizes websites ISIS allegedly used to sell fake face masks during the pandemic.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:27pm
The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said every governor should mandate mask-wearing as a way to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
The state has agreed to suspend a requirement that mail-in ballots must be signed before two witnesses or a notary. The high court rejects a Republican effort to reinstate the rule this fall.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:20pm
If you want to socialize with family or friends — say share a vacation cabin — can testing in advance keep everyone safe? We asked experts how diagnostic tests work and how to interpret the results.

News : NPR
NPR news, audio, and podcasts. Coverage of breaking stories, national and world news, politics, business, science, technology, and extended coverage of major national and world events.

Gov. Brian Kemp suggests he will wait out his existing executive order and address Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms' refusal to lift her mask-wearing requirement when he signs a new one on Aug. 15.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:45pm
Apple pulled the popular shooting game from its App Store, after its developer tried to get around the fee Apple requires from in-app purchases.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:44pm
In closing five of its newsrooms permanently, Tribune Publishing said it saw "no clear path forward in terms of returning to work." But affected unions argued the closures were unnecessary.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:43pm
The Justice Department said its two-year investigation found that race is "the determinative factor in hundreds of admissions decisions each year." Yale categorically denies the allegation.

Three times as many Black Americans as whites have also become infected with the coronavirus, according to the National Urban League report, based partly on data from Johns Hopkins University.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm
The established indie singer and songwriter was accused in a report published by Pitchfork on Thursday.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:51pm
The DOJ calls this "the government's largest-ever seizure of cryptocurrency in the terrorism context." It also seizes websites ISIS allegedly used to sell fake face masks during the pandemic.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:27pm
The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said every governor should mandate mask-wearing as a way to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The state has agreed to suspend a requirement that mail-in ballots must be signed before two witnesses or a notary. The high court rejects a Republican effort to reinstate the rule this fall.

If you want to socialize with family or friends — say share a vacation cabin — can testing in advance keep everyone safe? We asked experts how diagnostic tests work and how to interpret the results.

National : NPR
NPR coverage of national news, U.S. politics, elections, business, arts, culture, health and science, and technology. Subscribe to the NPR Nation RSS feed.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:32pm
NPR's Ari Shapiro talks with Melissa Korn of The Wall Street Journal about a Justice Department investigation that found Yale University is discriminating against Asian American and white applicants.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:32pm
President Trump appeared to raise questions about whether Kamala Harris was eligible to be the vice presidential candidate following an op-ed that incorrectly raised doubts about her eligibility.

13 Aug 2020 at 4:10pm
Kamala Harris is making history as the first Black woman and first Asian American to be nominated on a national ticket. Her identity is now being picked apart by many conservative commentators.

The Trump administration is ending Obama-era restrictions on emissions of methane, a potent climate-warming gas. Some oil and gas giants oppose the move, but smaller companies welcome it.

NPR's Mary Louise Kelly talks with parents from around the country about how they're preparing for another semester of remote learning.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 have canceled their football seasons this fall, but other college conferences said they're determined to play — and they believe they can do so safely.

President Trump has stepped up his assault on both mail-in voting and the U.S. Postal Service. He stated that without additional money to fund both, Democrats will be unable to expand mail-in voting.

Your Health : NPR
News and commentary about personal health, medicine, healthcare, drugs, diet, recipes, and nutrition. Download the Your Health podcast and subscribe to our RSS feed.

9 Aug 2020 at 7:00am
A writer shares how his wife's journey with cancer prepared them both to adapt during this unpredictable and chaotic time.

7 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm
Doctors have a new option for suicidal patients. It's a fast-acting nasal spray containing a version of the anesthetic ketamine.

6 Aug 2020 at 4:08pm
Some schools are choosing to be remote-only this fall, while others have already reopened. NPR looks at the science and education issues facing families, states and educators as classes resume.

4 Aug 2020 at 4:07pm
There are many stories of how nights out at bars can lead to coronavirus outbreaks. Public health experts say bars are perfect for spreading this virus. That's led many states to close them down.

4 Aug 2020 at 10:00am
With the flu season looming, public health officials urge nearly all Americans over 6 months old to get immunized starting next month. Strategize now to avoid getting the flu while COVID-19 is raging.

3 Aug 2020 at 5:02am
For many cancer patients, daily life can feel full of risky choices involving work, family, friends and money. Nearly every option pits the risks of catching the coronavirus against other downsides.

31 Jul 2020 at 9:33am
Healthcare jobs are already stressful. Add a pandemic ... and ongoing police brutality? And it's a lot. We hear from physicians of color and TED Fellow Laurel Braitman about taking care of ourselves.

28 Jul 2020 at 5:07am
With the coronavirus spreading out of control in many parts of the U.S., some experts say the strategy of testing and tracing can't contain the pandemic until lockdowns bring case numbers down.

24 Jul 2020 at 5:00am
A growing number of researchers think until there's an effective vaccine, the coronavirus will simply persist in the population, causing illness indefinitely. Better to squelch the spread instead.

Morning Edition : NPR
13 Aug 2020 at 6:53am
Morning Edition takes listeners around the country and the world with multi-faceted stories and commentaries every weekday. Hosts David Greene, Steve Inskeep, Noel King and Rachel Martin bring you the latest breaking news and features to prepare you for the day.

13 Aug 2020 at 6:53am
Louisiana and other states are struggling to keep unemployment state funds afloat, now the Trump administration wants them to contribute more money to federal benefits.

13 Aug 2020 at 5:39am
When Jane Dodd renewed her driver's license, she didn't have high hopes for her ID photo. However, when she received her new license, she saw she wasn't in the photo at all.

Facebook is launching a tool to help users register to vote. Kamala Harris' Black and Asian identities are making history. And, Thai students protest the military.

The military has jumped into the booming world of competitive electronic gaming called "esports." But the new approach to reaching potential new recruits comes with new challenges.

Students in Thailand have been protesting in recent days over the military's involvement in Thai politics.

NPR's Steve Inskeep speaks with ESPN's Paul Finebaum, about what the Power 5 college football conferences plan to do for the upcoming season.

Bar Rescue host Jon Taffer is probably best known for telling owners what's wrong with their bars. Now, he wants to help them survive the pandemic.

Thousands of Venezuelans are trying to make their way back to the country they fled. They left because of the economic crisis to look for work elsewhere, but the pandemic has cost them those jobs.

For more than a century, California's Native American tribes were largely banned from doing traditional burning of the landscape. Now, they're restoring that practice to help prevent fires.

Kamala Harris appeared alongside Joe Biden for the first time as his running mate. Biden's selection of Harris to join the Democratic ticket is important to voters of color.

Strange News : NPR
11 Aug 2020 at 6:30am
Unlikely stories from around the nation and the world.

11 Aug 2020 at 6:30am
COVID-19 safeguards have created a black market for gyms.

11 Aug 2020 at 6:04am
Ian Brackenbury Channell walks around in black robes and a pointy hat. He's a tourist attraction, and the city of Christchurch has paid him. As he steps aside, a successor wizard will take over.

10 Aug 2020 at 4:50pm
No coin shortage here: While it's closed for the pandemic, the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores has drained a 30-foot waterfall and cleaned off 100 gallons of pocket change.

9 Aug 2020 at 7:55am
NPR's Lulu Garcia Navarro speaks with Ardeshir Agahi, who drove from Ohio to Florida to deliver an urgent package to one of his UPS customers.

4 Aug 2020 at 11:24pm
U.S. and Australian responders spotted the three-person skiff crew on tiny Pikelot Island after they had been missing for nearly three days.

28 Jul 2020 at 2:42pm
"We put the sign up, but we're not quite sure whether they're able to read or not," Yaraka Hotel co-owner Gerry Gimblett says in an Australian TV interview.

27 Jul 2020 at 5:31pm
The Akron Zoo has a new resident for its collection, courtesy of an observant employee at a Red Lobster restaurant.

27 Jul 2020 at 5:58am
The man, hiding his identity, showed up in the Star Wars costume to claim his $95 million prize. The lottery company tweeted: May the millions be with you.

22 Jul 2020 at 1:36pm
Chalk up another win for spell check. According to prosecutors, a man tried to escape his sentencing by forging a death certificate — but the alleged ruse unraveled with a few misplaced letters.

14 Jul 2020 at 6:30am
As America experiences a coin shortage, Planet Money takes a look at the value of the penny.