Salisbury
Medical Term Lookup

Current National Weather
Current Moon and Tides
SCOA eNewsletter

Join the free SCOA email list to receive the above digital PDF version of the bimonthly SCOA Newsletter via every 2 months -no January or April editions- as soon as it is available!

Congregate - MOW - Menu
lunch menu image

Alternately, weekday meals are available for homebound elders. Please visit the Elder Services of Merrimack Valley web site for information, or call them at 800-892-0890 to inquire about or to make make arrangements for the Meals-on-Wheels or Elder Brown Bag programs.

Hours and Directions

Mon to Thur 8:00AM-3:30PM
and Fridays 8:00AM-12:30PM map image

43 Lafayette Rd, Salisbury, MA 01952

Local Links

AARP Massachusetts
states.aarp.org/massachusetts

Anna Jaques Hospital
www.ajh.org

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation
www.bcbsmafoundation.org

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
www.mass.gov

Elder Services of Merrimac Valley, Inc.
www.esmv.org

Executive Office of Elder Affairs
www.mass.gov/elders

Jeanne Geigger Crisis Center
www.jeannegeigercrisiscenter.org

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
www.massrmv.com

Massachusetts Senior Action Council
www.masssenioraction.org

Northeast Independent Living Program, Inc.
www.nilp.org

North Shore Community Action Programs
www.nscap.org

Official Town of Salisbury Site
www.salisburyma.gov

Pettengill House
www.pettengillhouse.org

Salisbury Assisted Living Center
www.assistedlivingcenter.org

Salisbury Chamber of Commerce
www.salisburychamber.com

Salisbury Elementary School
www.tritonschools.org/salisbury

Salisbury Emergency Management
www.facebook.com/Salisbury-Emergency-Management-157510740954299

Salisbury Fire Department
www.facebook.com/Salisbury-Firefighters-Local-4694-109528169115405

Salisbury Library
www.salisburylibrary.org/

Salisbury Police Department
www.salisburypolice.com

Triton Regional School District
www.tritonschools.org

Medicare FAQs and News
MedicareFAQ
Making Sense of Medicare Supplements

There is a whole history of Father’s Day that is more detailed than I ever imagined. Americans celebrated the first Father’s Day on June 19, 1910. However, Father’s Day wasn’t official until 1972 when Richard Nixon signed a proclamation making Father’s Day a federal holiday. There are more than 70 million fathers in the United…

The post Top Fathers Day Gift Ideas for Baby Boomer Dads appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Recently, President Trump announced a new trade deal to reduce insulin costs. The deal is between health care plans and insulin manufacturers. And the result? Starting next year, those with Diabetes can enroll in Medicare plans with caps on insulin charges. Copays will not be more than $35 each month. According to the White House,…

The post President Trump Reduces Insulin Costs appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

The post Medicare Coverage for Coronavirus Testing and Treatment (COVID-19) appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Currently, you won’t be able to join a Medicare Advantage plan if you have End-Stage Renal Disease. But we can expect to see significant changes coming within the next year. The 21st Century Cures Act allows those with End-Stage Renal Disease to enroll in Advantage policies. Before, these beneficiaries could only get an Advantage policy…

The post Pros and Cons of Medicare Advantage Plans Accepting ESRD Patients appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) planned a new Medicare payment model for telemedicine that reduces Medicare costs. HHS is hoping to direct patients to alternative options for health care such as telemedicine or urgent care. This is more cost-effective than using the emergency room as a form of health care. The HHS proposed an idea…

The post New Medicare Payment Model for Telemedicine appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

4 Proposed Medicare for All Alternatives could be the beginning of universal healthcare. By now you’ve probably heard of Bernie Sanders’ (D-VT) “Medicare for All,” a proposal to create a public health insurance program that’s free for everyone. Well, that’s not the only legislation that would expand the current Medicare program. debate Democrats in Congress…

The post 4 Proposed Medicare for All Alternatives appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Medicare’s Biggest Challenges Today from Medicare Industry Experts Applying for Medicare for the first time can be challenging. For most, employer coverage is what is they use before receiving Medicare. Employer benefits can be different than the plans available through Medicare. While some can get a Medicare Group plan through an employer, most do not…

The post What Are Medicare’s Biggest Challenges Today & Why appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

States with medical cannabis laws have lower Medicare opioid prescribing. The recent use of medical cannabis has been on the rise in many states. Many Medicare beneficiaries are looking to alternative forms of medicine to treat their chronic pain or condition. Opiates are harmful, addictive and fatal. More and more states are adopting the laws to…

The post States with Medical Cannabis Laws have Lower Medicare Opioid Prescribing appeared first on MedicareFAQ.

Health News-Medical News Today
MedicineNet Weekly News Digest

Healthy Recipes - Well Plated
Healthy Dinners – Well Plated by Erin
3 Jun 2020 at 12:19am
Recipes for a Wholesome Life

by Erin Clarke
3 Jun 2020 at 6:05am

Sweet Potato Hash, my old friend. No matter how long it’s been since I cooked you, what time of day I serve you, or even what specific ingredients make it into my skillet that day (this recipe suggests sweet potatoes, Italian sausage, and bell peppers, but they are by no means the rule), you nourish […]

The post Sweet Potato Hash is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
1 Jun 2020 at 6:00am

As much as I adore cooking for other people, every now and then it’s a treat (and a relief!) to prepare a meal just for myself. This Roasted Eggplant with Crispy Chickpeas is my kind of single-lady meal. This recipe is sponsored by Stella. Eggplant that’s oven roasted until caramelized and tender, then piled high […]

The post Roasted Eggplant with Crispy Chickpea Arugula Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
29 May 2020 at 6:00am

Where in the world are you longing for lately? For me, it’s a sunny place where humble food is prepared with passion, I can wander through the countryside all day, and a hearty bowl of Spanish Chicken Stew hits the spot at dinner time. A simple, comforting dish of chicken thighs simmered with tomatoes, peppers, […]

The post Spanish Chicken Stew is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
28 May 2020 at 6:45am

An overload of zucchini is a summer tradition that I look forward to with gusto every season. I adore both the challenge of creating unique ways to prepare it and revisiting my absolute favorite zucchini recipes, starting with Stuffed Zucchini. These zesty stuffed zucchini are packed with Italian-inspired ingredients like Italian turkey sausage, tomatoes, and […]

The post Stuffed Zucchini is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
27 May 2020 at 6:02am

Whatever your relationship status with tempeh—adore it, distrust it, think you saw it on a menu once but now you’re not quite sure—these sweet and smoky Tempeh Tacos will sweep you off of your Tex Mex-loving feet. A jazzy blend of southwest spices, shredded sweet potatoes (which in a pro-level veggie sneak all but disappear […]

The post Tempeh Tacos is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
26 May 2020 at 7:04am

My first experience with Penne alla Vodka with Chicken was cooking a “gourmet” meal for a group of college friends in our dorm’s basement kitchen. Looking back, I’m not sure which impresses me more: our resourcefulness (that kitchen was equipped with little beyond a hot pot and a few forks someone had “donated” from the […]

The post Penne Alla Vodka with Chicken is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
20 May 2020 at 6:03am

Today’s recipe for Curry Lentil Soup is the spunky younger sibling you didn’t think you needed (really Mom/Dad?), but now that she’s here, you realize your life would be emptier without her. An easy red lentil soup made with carrots and warming spices like cumin and curry, then finished with an energetic burst of lemon, […]

The post Curry Lentil Soup is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
19 May 2020 at 6:45am

All aboard the fresh express! It’s time for Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. This simple chickpea salad is uplifting, filling, and one of my absolute favorite meals to have waiting in my refrigerator for healthy lunches. Made with bell peppers of all colors, fresh herbs, crisp cucumber, and creamy feta, every bite tastes of warm, sunny moments. […]

The post Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Side Dishes – Well Plated by Erin
5 Jun 2020 at 12:37pm

by Erin Clarke
5 Jun 2020 at 6:00am

Crispy, Italian-spiced, and Parmesan-topped Roasted Broccoli and Carrots is on your team. Whether you are facing picky eaters, a crunched schedule, or general apathy towards vegetables at large, this easy oven cooking method, complete with a shake-it-up seasoning blend, shows up when you need it most: dinner time. Growing up, vegetables were a source of […]

The post Roasted Broccoli and Carrots is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
1 Jun 2020 at 6:00am

As much as I adore cooking for other people, every now and then it’s a treat (and a relief!) to prepare a meal just for myself. This Roasted Eggplant with Crispy Chickpeas is my kind of single-lady meal. This recipe is sponsored by Stella. Eggplant that’s oven roasted until caramelized and tender, then piled high […]

The post Roasted Eggplant with Crispy Chickpea Arugula Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
21 May 2020 at 6:06am

BREAKING NEWS. You can make crispy Baked French Fries in the oven! After slicing, baking, and salting more potatoes than I care to count, I have for you a foolproof method for how to make French fries crispy in the oven. No more compromising texture for the sake of making baked French fries healthy. Pull […]

The post Baked French Fries is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
19 May 2020 at 6:45am

All aboard the fresh express! It’s time for Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. This simple chickpea salad is uplifting, filling, and one of my absolute favorite meals to have waiting in my refrigerator for healthy lunches. Made with bell peppers of all colors, fresh herbs, crisp cucumber, and creamy feta, every bite tastes of warm, sunny moments. […]

The post Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
15 May 2020 at 6:05am

A confetti of colorful veggies, hearty black beans, and whole grain quinoa, with zesty Tex-Mex spices and a zing of lime, this 30-minute Mexican Quinoa takes the odds and ends in your pantry and turns them into a one-pan vegetarian feast! With the exception of a bell pepper (which you can add one, two, or […]

The post Mexican Quinoa is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
29 Apr 2020 at 6:03am

This Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad is the great equalizer, mind-changer, and lunch brightener. It doesn’t matter if you consider yourself a “salad person” (or even a Brussels sprouts person or a kale person). The balanced combination of tasty toppings like nuts, dried cherries, and Parmesan, along with a helpful boost from a zippy, lightly […]

The post Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
24 Apr 2020 at 6:00am

Every time I make roasted Brussels sprouts, Ben goes after the darkest, crispiest ones, usually devouring them right off the pan before we even sit down to dinner. Taking the hint, I turned every sprout into the crispy prize via this recipe for Brussels Sprouts Chips. Thinly sliced Brussels sprouts that are roasted at a […]

The post Brussels Sprouts Chips is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
17 Apr 2020 at 6:00am

Going on a decade into food blogging, and I still take it as a compliment when someone seeks my help with a recipe. Thus, when my father-in-law rang to ask if I knew of a healthy way to cook carrots, I was delighted to tell him about the foolproof way we’ve been making Sautéed Carrots lately! […]

The post Sauteed Carrots is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Healthy Desserts – Well Plated by Erin
2 Jun 2020 at 11:42pm

by Erin Clarke
2 Jun 2020 at 6:45am

If you are of the attitude that too much topping on a fruit crisp is simply not a situation that exists in real life, then my friend, this is the Peach Crisp recipe for you. Juicy, honey-sweetened peaches bubbling away beneath the most generous portion of toasty, buttery oat topping of any fruit crisp I’ve […]

The post Peach Crisp is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
22 May 2020 at 6:05am

Time for a fresh twist (or in this case, a crisscross) on a grandma-level classic cookie: Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies. They’re lightly crispy at the edges, chewy in the centers, and miraculously contain no butter, no oil, and no eggs. Pure peanut butter magic is all it takes to create a healthy peanut butter cookie […]

The post Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
8 May 2020 at 6:00am

I have a taste of France for you today! These Strawberry Crepes are beautifully light, easy to make, and the dreamy cream cheese Greek yogurt filling places them squarely on the line between summery dessert and dreamy weekend breakfast. I vote we eat them for both! Making crepes from scratch is one of those culinary […]

The post Strawberry Crepes is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
4 May 2020 at 6:45am

I’ve decided to turn my home into an all-inclusive resort. I’m cranking up the thermostat (warm island vibes!) and doing a few small things to pamper myself, starting with breakfast. This creamy Coconut Chia Pudding is the treat-your-self way to begin your day. Coconut chia pudding is good for you, yet its rich texture gives […]

The post Coconut Chia Pudding is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
16 Apr 2020 at 6:00am

This is for my friends in the audience who bake cookies purely to eat spoonfuls of batter straight from the bowl. Meet Edible Cookie Dough. It’s 100% safe to eat, you can customize it every which way, and I lightened it up with everyday ingredients. Eating cookie dough out of the bowl is a small […]

The post Edible Cookie Dough is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
9 Apr 2020 at 6:00am

You know what hits the spot absolutely every single time? Brownies. They are the great dessert fail-me-not. These super fudgy, melt-in-your-mouth, and outrageously chocolaty Vegan Brownies are THE brownie of the moment. They’re made without butter or eggs and contain a number of healthy ingredients, but they taste so sublimely rich, even non-vegans will find […]

The post Vegan Brownies is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
7 Apr 2020 at 6:05am

It’s a beautiful, hopeful spring day in the kitchen when you bake this Gluten Free Carrot Cake. This recipe is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. This is carrot cake at its best! Fully loaded with a kitchen sink of mix-ins. Topped off with a lavish slather of cream cheese frosting. Indisputably moist and tender, yet […]

The post Gluten Free Carrot Cake is found on Well Plated by Erin.

by Erin Clarke
25 Mar 2020 at 6:04am

It’s an eat-the-cookie-dough-outta-the-bowl kind of week, and this healthy Chickpea Cookie Dough is granting full-scale permission! Made with canned chickpeas, peanut butter, pure maple syrup, and chocolate chips, it’s vegan, easy to adapt to different diets (see notes below to make it grain free and nut free), and most importantly of all: It legitimately tastes […]

The post Chickpea Cookie Dough is found on Well Plated by Erin.

Serious Eats: Recipes
29 May 2020 at 9:00am
Our Favorite Recipes, Curated and Collected

by Daniel Gritzer
29 May 2020 at 9:00am

This slow-cooked chicken and chickpea tagine gets its flavor not from lots and lots of deep browning, but instead a gentle touch, a few key spices, and the natural, flavorful juices of the meat and vegetables. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
28 May 2020 at 9:00am

Turn your leftover sourdough bread into crispy, savory croutons for salads, snacking and more. Get Recipe!

by Tim Chin
26 May 2020 at 3:37am

There's no simple, one-size-fits-all recipe for a sourdough starter, but that doesn't mean they're hard to make. Here's everything you need to know to get yours going with success. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
13 May 2020 at 7:07am

This creamy white bean dip with a bright puttanesca-inspired topping is the perfect snacking appetizer, no sharing required. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
11 May 2020 at 6:36am

Got bacon and anchovies in the fridge and some onion and garlic kicking around? Then you already have the key ingredients for this flavorful chickpea and vegetable stew. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
8 May 2020 at 6:30am

Protein-packed pantry staples are the key to this simple, classic, warm-weather salad. Get Recipe!

by Sho Spaeth
5 May 2020 at 9:00am

Savory pancakes stuffed to the gills with vegetables that'll satisfy both children and adults alike. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
4 May 2020 at 9:00am

A quick-cooking riff on mapo tofu that's perfect for using up cannellini from a big batch of cooked dry beans. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
1 May 2020 at 9:00am

A poached chicken delivers tons of flavor to this fragrant spiced lentil stew via its meat, broth, and fat. Topped with fried onions and tomatoes, it's a filling and deeply flavorful meal. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
30 Apr 2020 at 9:13am

This is the most classic tuna melt, and it's the most basic—but don't mistake that for less delicious. These simple components, when assembled thoughtfully, are absolutely delicious. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
30 Apr 2020 at 9:12am

This is the kind of tuna melt you're likely to be served in a Jewish deli, where rye bread, Swiss cheese, and a dill-and-pickle tuna salad are kings. Get Recipe!

by Daniel Gritzer
30 Apr 2020 at 9:10am

This tuna melt comes with all the bells and whistles: mashed avocado, sliced tomato, crispy bacon, pickled jalapeños, and melted cheese in two forms. Get Recipe!

by Sasha Marx
29 Apr 2020 at 6:30am

No need to stress about sourdough. Make no-knead focaccia instead. Get Recipe!

by Sho Spaeth
28 Apr 2020 at 6:30am

Soup-less ramen, or mazemen is a delicious way to use up your dried beans, your bean-cooking liquid, and any leftovers you've got around. Get Recipe!

by Aaron Hutcherson
23 Apr 2020 at 3:45am

These Cuban-style chicken cutlets are marinated with citrus juices and spices, then seared in a skillet until well browned and juicy. Sautéed onions top them off, and it all comes together quickly and easily. Get Recipe!

Janet's Notebook from Just A Pinch Recipes
2 Jun 2020 at 1:01am
Take a page from Janet's Notebook and keep up with the latest tips, tricks and tasty treats from the Kitchen Crew and Recipe Club members around the country!

28 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite days of the year. My love of Mexican cuisine runs deep and I love to indulge in my favorites. Typically, I go to a local restaurant but this year with all the safe-distancing restrictions I've decided to recreate some of my favorites...

21 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
In times of trouble, I turn to my kitchen for comfort. I think it's something a lot of us home cooks do. Recently, I've been craving anything with cheese - the cheesier the better. Cheese just makes my taste buds happy. If you're like me right now, then you're going...

14 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Growing up in the South, pecans were always abundant. I'd grab a handful for a snack every day and always incorporate them into our meals. We didn't limit ourselves to making pecan pie either. If you love them as I do, here are a few pecan recipes that are sweet...

7 Apr 2020 at 1:00am
Once Easter is done I hate to get rid of leftovers - especially now since I am trying to use all the food I have. Besides being tasty, mashed potatoes make great leftovers because you can reinvent them. These Blue Ribbon recipes turn leftover mashed potatoes into something quite tasty. "This...

31 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Traditionally, ham is the centerpiece of an Easter meal. The custom dates back to 6th century Germany (you can learn more about why here). Adding a glaze to baked ham changes the flavor profile and ensures your family's taste buds won't be bored by another baked ham. Here are five...

24 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
The world is a weird place. The events happening right now are nothing we've seen before. We are all hunkering down and trying to distance ourselves from others. But we all need to eat and we are having to use what's handy. We're getting creative with proteins from the freezer,...

17 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Casseroles are my go-to dinner option when I have a busy day. They're easy to prepare, quick to bake, and always a family favorite. What kid would pass up a trip to McDonald's? After they try Tammy Brownlow's (Dallas, TX) Mac Attack! Cheeseburger Casserole they may never ask you to...

10 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Everywhere you look on St. Patrick's Day something is green. It's the color associated with St. Patrick's Day and green is in these desserts! "This Pistachio Nut Cake uses a yellow cake mix, instant pistachio pudding and it's covered with pistachio flavored whipped topping," explains Laura Davis (Rusk, TX). Laura's cake is...

3 Mar 2020 at 1:00am
Cauliflower gets a bad rap. I'll admit back in the day when it was only served steamed, cauliflower was not my favorite veggie. But, as it's become a popular low-carb substitute and there are so many more recipes, cauliflower has become one of my favorites. This week, I'm sharing five...

25 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
If you come into my kitchen, there is one thing guaranteed... I have the ingredients on hand so I can quickly make a snack. Hangry is a thing (getting super irritable when super hungry) and I do everything possible to prevent that from happening. Savory and sweet, these recipes satisfy...

18 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
Tuna is one of my go-to's when I'm figuring out what to eat. I always have cans on hand in the pantry. Sometimes I'll pick up a few steaks when I want to prepare a nicer dinner. Besides being very versatile, there are many health benefits. It's full of protein,...

11 Feb 2020 at 1:00am
Want to earn a place in my heart? Make me a chocolate dessert. What kind? Anything! I'm not picky... the more chocolate the better. If you can't think of a better way to end a day than enjoying something chocolaty, then take a look at these Blue Ribbon desserts. Cookies are...

4 Feb 2020 at 2:00am
Creamy, sweet, nutty, and chocolaty ... oh how I love Nutella. If you're not familiar with it, Nutella is a hazelnut cream that was invented in Italy. It was first sold in 1964, but its origins date back to the 1920s in Turin, Italy. Made with hazelnuts, cocoa, milk, sugar,...

28 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
The mecca of all food holidays is almost upon us - the Super Bowl! Just like Thanksgiving and Christmas, calories don't count on this day. Snack foods always rule my menu and this year will be no different. Don't let the pretzel-making process intimidate you. Jeanne Ballough's (Reynoldsville, PA) Pennsylvania Dutch...

21 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
Breakfast... lunch... dinner ... dessert... there aren't many meals I can't add bacon to. My dream day would be to have bacon (in some way) at every meal. This week, I thought I would share five Blue Ribbon recipes that feature bacon and go beyond breakfast! If you love bacon, Nellie...

14 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
From air fryers to sous vides and pressure cookers, my kitchen cabinets are crowded with gadgets. But there is one tried and true machine I go back to - my slow cooker. Especially when the weather is cooler I find myself pulling it out of the cabinet because you can...

7 Jan 2020 at 1:00am
When the cooler weather arrives, soup recipes make their way into my weekly menu. They're economical, easy to make, and always a family favorite. A comforting bowl of one of these soups will make your taste buds very happy. "Raising children on a dime led me to be frugal in the...

31 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
The last of the leftover ham, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie are finally out of my fridge. I love indulging during the holidays but it's right around this point that I realize I need to reign in the treats a bit. There's nothing like starting the new year off...

24 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
As much as my family eats multiple plates of food and leaves the table stuffed, we still seem to have a lot of leftovers after our Christmas dinner. I always tend to make too much ham and mashed potatoes. I make sure to store those in the fridge so I...

17 Dec 2019 at 1:00am
One of my favorite parts of a holiday is dessert. All the cooking is behind me. It's my time to sit down, relax, and catch up with my loved ones. A cup of coffee, a slice of pie and great conversation is the perfect Christmas ending. I always make sure...

Travel - Top Destinations and Vacation Ideas
Travel - Top Destinations, Vacation Ideas
How to vacation well — from planning your time off to finding flight deals and hotel hacks — on a real person's budget.

4 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm
Experts share their tips for staying safe if you have to get on a plane during the COVID-19 pandemic.

4 Jun 2020 at 10:04am
The number of passengers is climbing despite the coronavirus pandemic -- with no real government guidance.

29 May 2020 at 11:49am
A report from WalletHub identified the top spots for “a fun-filled yet wallet-friendly staycation.”

26 May 2020 at 5:58pm
The pandemic will affect cleanliness protocols, the check-in process, buffets, minibars and more.

20 May 2020 at 8:09pm
Traveling near or far in your car during the coronavirus pandemic? Follow these precautions for a safer road trip.

30 Apr 2020 at 9:56am
The pandemic will affect airports, hotels and other aspects of your future trips.

29 Apr 2020 at 4:45am
Germs can spread a lot further than passengers might realize.

4 Feb 2020 at 4:21pm
The limited-edition Away x Serena Williams collab includes red suitcases and packing cubes.

18 Feb 2020 at 5:03pm
I've never lost a passport, phone or ID at an airport. And now, I never will.

4 Feb 2019 at 5:40pm
This is the best carry-on suitcase I've ever used.

14 May 2020 at 8:07pm
Experts explain the most important factors to consider when canceling or postponing a trip amid the coronavirus pandemic.

20 Apr 2020 at 9:52pm
Cities across the globe look nearly empty as citizens practice self-quarantining during the coronavirus pandemic.

26 Mar 2020 at 7:35pm
Here's what Delta, Southwest and other carriers are offering customers canceling or changing their travel because of COVID-19 concerns.

13 Mar 2020 at 5:19pm
Here's what you need to know about the latest coronavirus-related travel restrictions.

10 Mar 2020 at 2:25pm
We found great travel essentials from Paravel and Mark and Graham -- and even places like West Elm and Nordstrom Rack.

Red Sox Watch
Red Sox News
6 Jun 2020 at 6:30am
Red Sox News

by Ian Browne
5 Jun 2020 at 11:01am

by Ian Browne
5 Jun 2020 at 4:12pm

by Bill Ladson
3 Jun 2020 at 12:01pm

by Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and Mike Rosenbaum
4 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm

3 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
Which young stars and clubs will dominate the next 10 seasons? Predict who will lead the decade (2020-29) in 9 categories and you could win $1,000,000 in "The Vault."

by Ian Browne
3 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm

by Ian Browne
1 Jun 2020 at 11:26am

by MLB.com
3 Jun 2020 at 11:12pm

28 Feb 2017 at 5:56pm
Who do the Red Sox have in the pipeline? Get scouting reports, video, stats, projected ETAs and more for Boston's Top 30 Prospects.

14 May 2020 at 11:43am
The MLB Dream Bracket returns with a Dream Seasons edition, as 64 of the greatest single-season teams of all time compete in a simulated tournament to see whose best is best.

by Jonathan Mayo
1 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm

by Will Leitch
30 May 2020 at 10:00pm

by Ian Browne
29 May 2020 at 8:39pm
Band performs on infield diamond; Springsteen makes guest appearance

by Will Leitch
31 May 2020 at 9:46pm

by Ian Browne
30 May 2020 at 8:50pm

Tech News - Views from WIRED
Feed: All Latest
6 Jun 2020 at 7:55am
Channel Description

by WIRED Staff
6 Jun 2020 at 7:00am

Need a new laptop? Or an affordable phone? We've rounded up some sales that might help.

by Brian Barrett

The best end-to-end encrypted messaging app has a host of security features. Here are the ones you should care about.

by Adam Rogers

Sure, large crowds already carry a risk of transmission. It's just worse when you teargas people, make them cough on each other, and bus them to jail.

by Sidney Fussell
5 Jun 2020 at 5:47pm

Alexis Ohanian's resignation is among the most dramatic responses in the tech industry to the killing of George Floyd.

by Sidney Fussell
5 Jun 2020 at 4:01pm

Employees who decline to work amid the pandemic could lose both their paychecks and their unemployment benefits.

by Adrienne So
5 Jun 2020 at 3:50pm

The company's lightweight commuter electric bike amazingly doesn’t feel like an ebike at all.

by Megan Molteni
5 Jun 2020 at 3:09pm

The easing of stay-at-home orders and Memorial Day travel have led to spikes in some parts of the country. That’s bad news for what comes next.

by Demetria Mosley
5 Jun 2020 at 2:26pm

Whether you're trying to maintain your social distance or just looking for other ways to speak up, here are some other ideas on how to contribute.

by Garrett M. Graff
5 Jun 2020 at 10:16am

While Friday’s report showed improved employment numbers, things could still get so much worse.

by Matt Simon
5 Jun 2020 at 10:01am

A “perfect storm” of ravenous locusts, flooding, and the Covid-19 pandemic threatens to create huge food shortages.

Car Corner
High Gear Media Network Feed
4 Jun 2020 at 11:02am
Latest news, reviews, and more from around the High Gear Media network of sites

by feedback@highgearmedia.com (Aaron Cole)
4 Jun 2020 at 11:02am
The 2021 Audi A5 criminally undersells itself by sharing a name with a size for printer paper. The A5 is a coupe, convertible, or five-door hatchback that looks great. It’s a blank canvas for personality and performance, which is the only thing the A5 has in common with plain paper. This year, it gets a mild power upgrade for models equipped...

by feedback@highgearmedia.com (Robert Duffer)
2 Jun 2020 at 12:15pm
The 2021 BMW 4-Series is a coupe. It’s not coupe-like; it doesn’t have four doors or a goofy roofline and a goofier name. The 4-Series is a bona fide two-door classic coupe. Let us rejoice. Like the 3-Series upon which it is based, the 2021 4-Series is longer, wider, more powerful, and more athletic for its second generation. It will...

1 Jun 2020 at 2:05pm
The 2021 Buick Envision five-seat crossover SUV is updated with a stylish new exterior, more standard safety features, and the brand’s top Avenir trim for the first time. It is smaller than the Buick Enclave and bigger than the Buick Encore GX. The Envision competes against the Lincoln Corsair, Cadillac XT4, Lexus NX, Acura RDX, and Volvo...

28 May 2020 at 1:00pm
You’d be forgiven for forgetting about the mid-size Acura TLX sedan. Up against heavyweights from other luxury automakers, the TLX fell behind. Up against best-selling crossovers from Acura, the TLX got lost in the shuffle. This time around, the 2021 Acura TLX sculpts a daring shape around zesty turbocharged engines and powertrains to jog...

27 May 2020 at 9:30am
The Audi A4 sedan is historically the most familiar car in the automaker’s lineup and somehow the most overlooked. Say what? Next to manic coupe crossovers and all-electric wagons, it takes more than just a good value to stand out, apparently. We give the A4 a 6.7 TCC Rating thanks to its stellar safety scorecard and good performance. Style...

26 May 2020 at 7:00pm
With the 2021 5-Series luxury mid-size sedan, BMW proves that less is more—except when more is more. The new sedan arrives this July with more power in some versions, more electrified options, and more screens. Its grille takes up comparably less space on its snout than some other BMWs (7-Series, we’re looking at you) and the new...

High Gear Media Network Feed
5 Jun 2020 at 11:45am
Latest news, reviews, and more from around the High Gear Media network of sites

by feedback@highgearmedia.com (Joel Feder)
5 Jun 2020 at 11:45am
Need to give the car a wash? Deliberating between doing it yourself or going to a professional car wash? If you don't have the time, desire, or supplies to clean your car at home, then it's time to hit the pros. There are three types of places you can go to get your car washed, all with differing degrees of effectiveness. Options include a quick...

5 Jun 2020 at 11:20am
2020 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Launch Edition starts at $41,735 The 2020 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Launch Edition will cost $41,735 including destination when it arrives at dealers in the third quarter of 2020, the automaker announced Friday. Wash me now: What's the best type of car wash? Automated touch car washes differ from touchless and do-it-yourself...

5 Jun 2020 at 11:15am
Nissan will recall certain 2013-2018 Altima sedans for a corroded hood latch that could result in the hood opening while driving. The recall covers 1,831,818 vehicles, the automaker announced this week. At issue is a set of two hood latches. If the primary latch is inadvertently released, then the secondary hood latch could corrode over time. That...

5 Jun 2020 at 9:45am
Self-driving cars on the roads won't be able to prevent all crashes if they're designed to process information like humans and defer to occupant preferences, the IIHS found in a study released Thursday. Only about one-third of crashes now would be easily avoided by future autonomous vehicles, the study found. To prevent more crashes, those systems...

5 Jun 2020 at 8:00am
It's back. All-wheel drive returns to the Chrysler Pacifica minivan for the first time since 2004. The 2020 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Launch Edition will cost $41,735 including destination when it arrives at dealers in the third quarter of 2020, the automaker announced Friday. Yes, all-wheel-drive models will still have the clever Stow 'n Go seating...

4 Jun 2020 at 11:45am
Toyota's venerable small car can always learn a few new tricks. When it arrives in dealers later this year, the 2021 Toyota Corolla will offer standard Android Auto and satellite radio compatibility, as well as more standard and available safety equipment, Toyota spokesman Zach Reed confirmed. Reed didn't say how much the sedan or hatchback will...

STATEMENT FROM JOAN HATEM ROY, CEO REGARDING MEALS ON WHEELS DELIVERY June 2, 2020: Elder Services of the Merrimack...

Posted by Elder Services of Merrimack Valley and North Shore on Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Liz and Andy talk about how the Salisbury COA is still here for you; don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need help in any way!

Posted by Salisbury Council on Aging on Friday, April 10, 2020

The Salisbury Public Library will begin offering curbside pickup on June 3rd with modified hours: Monday through Friday...

Posted by Salisbury Public Library on Tuesday, June 2, 2020

From the Salisbury Council on Aging Director's Desk
Elizabeth Pettis

While Salisbury Hilton Senior Center's 43 Lafayette Rd. location is temporarily closed to the general public, MOW (Meals on Wheels), however, is still operating as usual. Our staff continues to be available to all of our seniors via our regular 978.462.2412 phone line.

We are very grateful and fortunate to be working in cooperation with Our Neighbors Table to offer free grocery delivery to those in need, provided you schedule with the Salisbury Senior Center. Call in your delivery request to 978.462.2412 by 3pm on Mondays and we will make every attempt to deliver to you by Wednesday, based upon demand. Medical equipment such as walkers, canes, wheelchairs or commodes are also available for delivery or pickup. Again, please call us to make arrangements if you are in need of these items. There will be no transport charge by the Salisbury Council on Aging for medication, food or essentials items delivered to those sixty and older in need.

We continue to make daily wellness checks, and have matched up our volunteers to those who would like a friendly conservation via phone. If you or someone you know is in need of services, food or general assistance please reach out to us as we will continue to serve the seniors of our community. If you have questions or are in doubt, please do not hesitate to call us 978.462.2412.

Special Shopping Hours for Seniors
SCOA, 43 Lafayette Rd, Salisbury, MA (978) 462-2412

Combined Area Councils - Upcoming 2020 Day Trips!

Salisbury Council on Aging has joined forces with Newburyport, Amesbury and Merrimac COA's to offer you trips and social outings with local pickups and drop-offs. See our newsletter for more information on any future trips being planned.

food and dishes image

Hospital Offers Local Seniors a $6 Dinner Every Night
Socialize and have a healthy meal @ AJH!

Anna Jaques Hospital offers dinner in the cafeteria every evening for seniors over 60 years old. The $6 meal includes an entree, starch, vegetable, dessert and coffee or tea between 4:30pm and 6:30pm every day, including weekends.

View the weekly menu here.

The daily dinners are in addition to monthly dinners the hospital puts on for seniors that feature various guest speakers.

two connected telephones

Telephone Reassurance and Friendly Visitor Program

The Salisbury Council on Aging's Telephone Reassurance and Friendly Visitor Program is available for those who don't get out often, are homebound or a bit lonely. The program has a friendly person call or visit several times a month to share conversation, memories and interests. Callers can also make regular phone calls, read, write notes and help with personal correspondence, initiate handcrafts or play games and cards.

The group brings trained volunteers to the homebound elderly and the disabled. Those who are lonely or isolated, as well as those who are sick or frail, but not in need of constant care or medical attention can benefit from socialization and conversation either at home or in a nursing home.

Those interested in the program should call the Salisbury Council on Aging at 978-462-2412.

Current Programs and Weekday Schedule

The SCOA holds various health-related clinics, learning and training classes, craft groups, and activity and game programs. See our newsletter for the current schedule of available activities and their schedules.

Daily Hot Lunch - Served each weekday at 11:20 a.m. at the Hilton Center. The suggested donation is $2 per meal for a person 60 and older. Reservations are a must and should be made two working days in advance. Call 978-462-2412 to register.

Home Delivered Meals - Meals are available for homebound elders. Please call Elder Services of Merrimack Valley at 800-892-0890 extension 490 to make arrangements.

Transportation - The Council on Aging wheelchair accessible van is available to seniors for transport to local appointments. The Van operates Monday, Tuesday from 8:30am to 2:00pm. On Wednesday the Van provides transportation to Market Basket Plaza and Wal-Mart Plaza in Seabrook. Pickup begins @ 9:00am. The cost for shopping is $4.00 donation roundtrip. Confirm pickup time when you call. Call 978-462-2412 to schedule a ride. Reservations must be scheduled at least two working days in advance.

SHINE - Questions on your health or prescription coverage? Our SHINE counselor holds monthly consults. Please call for a private appointment.

Internet Wi-Fi Access - At the Salisbury Council on Aging Hilton Center wireless internet connection is now available ... bring your own laptop if you don't want to use the computers in the Computer Room! We also have a fax machine and copy machine available.

Birthday Party - The third Thursday of every month we have a birthday party for all seniors whose birthday falls in the month. Everybody is invited to help the birthday seniors enjoy the day. Reservations are required, also please notify if you must cancel.

TRIPS - Salisbury Council on Aging has joined forces with Newburyport, Amesbury and Merrimac COA’s to offer you trips and social outings with local pickups and drop-offs. Call us at 978-462-2412 for more information on any future trips being planned.

Call the Council on Aging for more information about any of these programs, 978-462-2412.

The Salisbury Council on Aging is open
Monday - Thursday from 8:00AM - 3:30PM
Friday 8:00AM - 12:30PM

Centers for Disease Control - Covid-19

Johns Hopkins University Covid-19 Map

2019 Novel Coronavirus
5 Jun 2020 at 7:05pm
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.

5 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm
Cases in U.S.

5 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm
COVIDView

5 Jun 2020 at 12:00am
Notification of Exposure: A Contact Tracer's Guide for COVID-19

With extensive participation from US clinical and public health laboratories, academic institutions, and the private sector, the SPHERES consortium aims to generate information about the virus that will strengthen COVID-19 mitigation strategies.

Testing in the U.S.

Communication Resources for Travelers

Cruise Ship Crew Member Disembarkations

Protect Yourself When Using Transportation

Until more information becomes available, precautions should be taken in handling specimens that are suspected or confirmed for SARS-CoV-2.

CDC is aggressively responding to the global outbreak of COVID-19 and preparing for the potential of community spread in the United States.

Staffing Resources

People Who Need to Take Extra Precautions

Communication Toolkit

Frequently Asked Questions about Laboratory Biosafety and SARS-CoV-2

COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country

Public Health Recommendations for People in U.S. Communities Exposed to a Person with Known or Suspected COVID-19, other than Health Workers or other Critical Infrastructure Workers

4 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Learn how to protect therapy and service animals during the COVID-19 pandemic. Follow your local guidance for acceptable business and social practices. Follow CDC's general recommendations for protecting pets from infection, when possible.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm
Other At-Risk Populations

4 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm
CDC works with partners to bring together weekly forecasts for COVID-19 deaths in one place. These forecasts have been developed independently and shared publicly. It is important to bring these forecasts together to help understand how they compare with each other and how much uncertainty there is about what may happen in the upcoming four weeks.

4 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm
Contact Tracing

Social Security Administration Online
Online Services – Social Security Matters
1 Jun 2020 at 3:09pm
The Official Blog of Social Security

1 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
We’re pleased to announce that we’ve added Connecticut, Ohio, and Utah to the growing list of states where you can go online to replace your Social Security card. In many cases, you may not need a replacement card. Most of … Continue reading

19 Mar 2020 at 11:22am
I want you to hear directly from me how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting our services. The first thing you should know is that we continue to pay benefits. Be aware that scammers may try to trick you into thinking … Continue reading

16 Mar 2020 at 5:45pm
All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. This decision protects the population we serve—older Americans and people with underlying medical conditions—and our employees during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. … Continue reading

20 Feb 2020 at 2:20pm
Chances are good that you use the internet or a cell phone app every day. Social Security has you covered. We’ve created online tools to make the lives of millions of people easier. We’ve put together a top ten list … Continue reading

30 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
Tax season is approaching, and we have made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier.  The Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S, is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive … Continue reading

2 Jan 2020 at 1:49pm
Are you looking for new ways to save time this new year? Social Security offers many of its services online by signing up for a secure my Social Security account. Once you create an account, you can review your work … Continue reading

Local Movie Theater Schedules
Vision Max Cinema
201 Elm Street, Salisbury, MA 01952
Cinemagic Salisbury
6 Merrill Street, Salisbury, MA 01952
Newburyport Screening Room
82 State Street, Newburyport, MA 01950
Salisbury Beach - South Live Cam

Local News - Local Sports Briefs
Front Page

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/local_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/local_news only for asset type(s) of article

6 Jun 2020 at 4:30am
Most students get their high school diploma and then go off to college, but Newburyport native Violet Merrill took what she calls “a nontraditional path.

5 Jun 2020 at 6:19pm
NEWBURYPORT – A chanting, cheering, sign-waving crowd of 200-300 people lined the streets of Market Square Friday afternoon to call for justice for George Floyd and an end to systemic racism in the U.S.

5 Jun 2020 at 11:31am
NEWBURYPORT – Five more Newburyport residents tested positive for the coronavirus over the last week bringing the city’s total of COVID-19 cases to 80. Of those 80 cases, 30 remain active, Mayor Donna Holaday said during her weekly coronavirus video…

5 Jun 2020 at 11:27am
SALISBURY — Weekend concerts and fireworks were not popular items while personal responsibility was during a special online COVID-19 community forum Thursday night.

5 Jun 2020 at 4:45am
NEWBURYPORT – When restaurants across the city get the green light to reopen months after the coronavirus forced their doors closed back in March, Andiamo restaurant will not be among them.

5 Jun 2020 at 3:00am
At the June 5, 1950 City Council meeting, Councilor Edward G. Perkins proposed a $50,000 bond be issued for street repair, calling conditions of the streets “disgraceful.”

I received an email a couple of weeks ago that I thought that I would share with you. It was in response to a column I wrote some years ago, and last repeated about a year ago. I talked about…

These recent sightings are compiled by Sue McGrath of the Newburyport Birders. Report your sightings to Newburyport Birders at newburyportbirders@comcast.net or 978-204-2976. Visit www.newburyportbirders.com

NEWBURYPORT — A public hearing on the Institution for Savings’ reworked expansion plan ended almost as soon as it began when a virtual Planning Board meeting exceeded its attendance threshold Wednesday night and people were turned away.

Cancer: A malignant tumor that tends to spread in the body or a malignant evil that spreads destructively, according to Webster’s.

SEABROOK — The impact of COVID-19 on federal oversight of the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant was the focus of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s annual assessment meeting Wednesday night.

NEWBURYPORT – Seventeen owners, employing 155 people, admitted the decision to shutter businesses across the state in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus could result in the permanent closure of their businesses, according to a recently released…

4 Jun 2020 at 6:25pm
AMESBURY – A local man awaiting trial for child pornography and other charges was arrested at his Congress Street apartment Thursday and ordered held in jail until trial, after FBI agents served a search warrant there.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:46pm
Both Newburyport and Salisbury reported residents had died this week from COVID-19, while state officials noted a drop in deaths and the number of reported positive cases statewide.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
WEST NEWBURY -- Former selectman and long-time West Newbury -- and now retired -- mailman Dick Cushing announced on social media that he would be rallying against racism in the town square Friday morning, and many from the local online…

4 Jun 2020 at 10:56am
WEST NEWBURY – Voters returned an incumbent assessor and Planning Board member to office and voted in some newcomers to fill other seats in contested races on Wednesday.

4 Jun 2020 at 5:04am
NEWBURYPORT — The Screening Room may be closed to the public but its virtual cinema is set to launch June 12, just 38 years after first opening its doors.

4 Jun 2020 at 5:03am
WEST NEWBURY — Approximately 20 Pentucket Regional School District teachers will be notified their employment agreements won't be renewed because of an uncertain fiscal 2021 school budget brought on by the pandemic.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:59am
AMESBURY – Lucy’s Love Bus, a local charity that comforts children suffering from cancer, recently received a $25,000 grant through the Cummings Foundation’s $20 million grant program.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:59am
CONTESTED RACES

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news only for asset type(s) of article

4 Jun 2020 at 7:43pm
JUNE 4 – Gov. Charlie Baker did not have a press briefing on Thursday, skipping a turn in front of the cameras for the second time this week as he prepares to make a major announcement Saturday about the state's…

4 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
WEST NEWBURY -- Former selectman and long-time West Newbury -- and now retired -- mailman Dick Cushing announced on social media that he would be rallying against racism in the town square Friday morning, and many from the local online…

4 Jun 2020 at 5:01am
NEWBURYPORT — A public hearing on the Institution for Savings' reworked expansion plans ended almost as soon as it began when a virtual Planning Board meeting exceeded its attendance threshold Wednesday night and people were turned away.

3 Jun 2020 at 10:27pm
SEABROOK — The impact of COVID-19 on regulatory oversight of the Seabrook Station nuclear power plant was the focus of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's annual assessment meeting Wednesday night.

3 Jun 2020 at 5:48pm
MINNEAPOLIS — Prosecutors on Wednesday filed a tougher charge against the police officer at the center of the George Floyd case and charged three other officers, delivering a victory to protesters galvanized by a death that roused racial tensions and…

3 Jun 2020 at 5:04am
WEST NEWBURY — Approximately 20 Pentucket Regional School District teachers will receive nonrenewal notices within the next week as a result of an uncertain fiscal 2021 budget due to COVID-19.

2 Jun 2020 at 6:18pm
JUNE 2: The latest report from public health officials Tuesday showed the continuation of positive trends with respect to the number of new cases, number of hospitalizations and positive test rate during a week that will determine whether the second…

2 Jun 2020 at 5:34pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Tuesday turned up the pressure on governors to quell the violence set off by the death of George Floyd, demanding New York call up the National Guard to stop the “lowlifes and losers.”

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/regional_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/regional_news only for asset type(s) of article

5 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm
State health officials reported Friday the number of people who died from COVID-19 had dropped from 50 to 35 on Thursday. That brought the total number of people who have died from COVID-19 related illness in the state to 7,235.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm
The day before Gov. Charlie Baker is set to announce when Massachusetts will advance to the next level of a gradual economic reopening plan, state health officials newly reported a "positive trend" in a third of the six metrics they're…

5 Jun 2020 at 10:25am

4 Jun 2020 at 7:43pm
JUNE 4 – Gov. Charlie Baker did not have a press briefing on Thursday, skipping a turn in front of the cameras for the second time this week as he prepares to make a major announcement Saturday about the state's…

4 Jun 2020 at 5:05am
BOSTON — With the state bleeding revenue, some economists are calling for tax increases to offset the need for layoffs and deep spending cuts.

4 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
BOSTON — The state has received $374 million in federal funding to ramp up COVID-19 testing as it takes gradual steps toward reopening the economy.

4 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
SALEM — The tourism industry is starting to crawl back to life, but it’s unclear what the sector looks like as the state reopens from COVID-19.

4 Jun 2020 at 4:50am
The $28 million in COVID-related federal assistance to help the Massachusetts seafood industry is insufficient “and will not address the economic pain felt throughout the commonwealth,” U.S. Senate candidate Joseph P. Kennedy III stated in a letter to Commerce Secretary…

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in news/national_news of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) news/national_news only for asset type(s) of article

5 Jun 2020 at 2:49pm

5 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm

5 Jun 2020 at 10:23am

MINNEAPOLIS — The mural of George Floyd projected above his golden coffin, where mourners knelt and cried, paused and prayed at his memorial service Thursday had a simple message: “I can breathe now.”

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A full autopsy of George Floyd, the handcuffed black man who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police, was released Wednesday and provides several clinical details, including that Floyd had previously tested positive for coronavirus.

4 Jun 2020 at 10:19am

3 Jun 2020 at 10:45am
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Wednesday took credit for a massive deployment of National Guard troops and federal law enforcement officers to the nation's capital, saying it offered a model to states on how to quell protests nationwide.

1 Jun 2020 at 12:01pm

www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in sports of type article
www.newburyportnews.com - RSS Results in section(s) sports only for asset type(s) of article

5 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
The Greater Newburyport area has always boasted a proud running tradition, and this past decade a new crop of running greats emerged to etch their place in local history. Today we look at the top cross country and distance runners…

LUKE COLE, throws

4 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
The Greater Newburyport area has always boasted a proud running tradition, but this past decade local runners ascended to new heights. Yesterday we looked at the top cross country and distance runners of the 2010s, and today we look at…

4 Jun 2020 at 12:00am
Whittier Tech was established in 1972 and it didnt take long for the Wildcats to make a name for themselves athletically.

3 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
The Greater Newburyport area has always boasted a proud running tradition, but this past decade local runners ascended to new heights and dominated the competition to an unprecedented degree. Today we look at the top cross country and distance runners…

1 Jun 2020 at 1:00am
Thanks to their outstanding achievements both athletically and academically, Triton's Tyler Godfrey and Triton's Sarah Harrington have been named the Moynihan Lumber Student-Athletes of the Month for April.

31 May 2020 at 10:26pm
NEW YORK — It felt cruel. On the same day the New York Knicks announced they’re finally re-opening their practice facility after 2 1/2 months, news leaked that the team’s season is probably over.

31 May 2020 at 7:01pm
Among the greatest assets sports has is authenticity, but there are indications TV networks may not want to hear that.

The Daily News of Newburyport: Obituaries
6 Jun 2020 at 7:58am
Listings for Obituaries on The Daily News of Newburyport

3 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Salisbury - Helen (Dekeon) Eramo, 86, of Salisbury, Mass., formerly of Haverhill, passed away June 1, 2020 at Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport. She was born in Haverhill on Oct. 8, 1933, daughter of the late Xenofon and Florence (Kokkales) Dekeon. She was predeceased by her loving husband of 58 years, Thomas P. Eramo, who died in 2012. Her childhood in Haverhill, was centered around large family gatherings, and celebrations of her Greek culture. One of five siblings, Helen loved being a part of a large family, and she spent her adolescent years surrounded by her extended family of cousins. After being married, she was employed as a supervisor at the former Lucent Technologies in North Andover, while raising two children. Balancing career and motherhood, Helen embraced her surrounding family and community in Haverhill and Salisbury Beach. Above all else, Helen's pride was her family. She was a loving and devoted wife to her husband Butch, and loved the life they shared together. Their summer home on Salisbury Beach, was the epicenter of fun, with weekly summer gatherings. She shared her hospitality with neighbors, friends and family. Helen was most happy when surrounded by her children, Cheryl and Tom. As their own families grew, Helen embraced her role as Gram/Grammy/Mimi/Nana/Big-Nana. She enjoyed watching her grandchildren, Jennifer, Eddie, Alex, Jordan, and Eric, and great-grandson Dee grow up on the beach, sharing summer days together in the sand, and countless summer nights in the driveway for cookouts, followed by evenings around the table playing cards. Always creating conversation (and often balancing two phone calls simultaneously), Helen had a vibrant social life with many close friends carried throughout her life. "The Helens", a nickname given to her and her friend Helen Witham, loved to experience live theater with her son, Tommy and his wife Ginny. Helen frequented the casinos with her siblings, longtime friend Mike, granddaughter, Jennifer, and great-grandson, Dee. She enjoyed trips to St. Maarten with her daughter, Cheryl and son-in-law, Danny, and her numerous trips to Greece. She loved life and lived each day to its fullest. She loved spending time in the kitchen, spreading her love through her food. She shared her recipes with her grandchildren, teaching them how to carry on traditions of her Greek culture and family history. In her later years, she continued to bring joy through her cooking, teaching her great-grandchildren, Isabelle and Lincoln, her traditional Koulourakia recipe - a memory they will forever cherish. Her final years were spent at living at Salisbury Beach, and while she was self-sufficient, she loved living with her great grandson, Dee.They created many memories together, shared laughs as Helen navigated her way through the internet on her iPad, and held a special bond together. With her daughter Cheryl, and great-grandchildren Hailey, Angelina, and Callen, living just next door, Helen was surrounded by her family daily. Helen is survived by her son, Thomas A. Eramo and his wife, Virginia of Newburyport; her daughter, Cheryl A. Huberdeau of Salisbury; her brother George Dekeon of Bradford; grandchildren, Jennifer Angeloni, Edwin Huberdeau and his wife, Payal, Alex Huberdeau, Jordan Becker and her husband, Benjamin, Eric Eramo and his partner, Carlie Schena; great grandchildren, Richard Early, Devina and Kian Huberdeau, Hailey, Angelina and Callen Huberdeau, Isabelle and Lincoln Becker; as well as several nieces and nephews. Helen was predeceased by her brother, Nicholas Dekeon, her sister, Faye Mosho, brother-in-law, Benjamin Mosho, sister, Katherine Curtin and brother-in-law William Curtin, her sister-in-law Drucilla Dekeon, sister-in-law, Florence and her husband, Sam DiSalvo and her son-in-law, Daniel Huberdeau. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the calling hours on Sunday, June 7th from 3 to 5 p.m. at the H.L. Farmer & Sons Funeral Home, 106 Summer St. Haverhill. Social distancing guidelines and safety measures will be supported. A private interment will be held at Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill for immediate family members only. Contributions in her memory may be made to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 101A First Ave. Waltham, MA 02451, or COVID-19 Research c/o UMASS Medical School Office of Advancement, 333 South St., Shrewsbury, MA 01545. To share a memory or for more information please visit www.farmerfuneralhomes.com.

3 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Vernon - The Reverend Philip Noe Nelson passed away peacefully in Vernon, Vt., on May 30, 2020, of complications from lung cancer. Phil was born in Woodbridge, NJ, on December 14, 1920, the third son and child of the late Frederick A. and Henrietta Noe Nelson. He was predeceased by two brothers, Frederick N. Nelson and Louis N. Nelson. He graduated from Woodbridge schools and from Tusculum College (now Tusculum University) in Greeneville, TN. He served in the US Navy as a Lieutenant, j.g. He was stationed in the Pacific Theater in WWII, where he served as a wave guide, leading Marines in landing craft to the appointed beaches, and he survived 5 invasions. He went on to receive his M.A. degree from Columbia University. He married Florence Mundy of Metuchen, NJ, in 1947, and enjoyed 55 years of marriage with his beloved Florence, who predeceased him in 2003. After a career in Personnel Administration (Human Resources) with DuPont, International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT), and Babcock & Wilcox, he left the business world to enter the Christian ministry. He graduated from Andover-Newton Theological Seminary in 1968, and was ordained in the United Church of Christ (UCC). He served UCC churches in Amesbury and Northfield, MA, and, after his retirement from full-time ministry, he served as interim minister to churches in VT and NH. He also was a frequent guest preacher at many local churches. He is survived by his three children and their spouses: Doris (Nelson) and Herbert (Bart) Noyes of Kingston, NH; Janet (Nelson) and Mark Stephens of Ambler, PA; and Phil and Marilyn Nelson of Vestal, NY; as well as 10 grandchildren and 9 great-grandchildren; one nephew, Frederick R. Nelson of Washington, D. C.; and several cousins. Phil loved to read and was fascinated by local, world, and family history. He was an enthusiastic gardener and an avid stamp and coin collector. He was a longtime Mason and a member of the Ionic Lodge #31 in Newport, Del. He has lived for the past 23 years at Vernon Homes in Vernon, VT, where he made many friends. He has been active in the community as a member of the Vernon Historical Society, the Vernon Seniors, and the First Congregational Church (UCC) of West Brattleboro. He volunteered for many years in the Town Clerk's office of Vernon, and he also volunteered at the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, the Vernon Public Library, and in his retirement community. He worked every Election Day in Vernon until he was 98, and at age 99 he was still signing up his fellow residents for absentee ballots for the 2020 Vermont primary election. Arrangements are through the Kidder Funeral Home of Northfield, Mass. A celebration of Phil's life will be held at a later time, to be determined, at the First Congregational Church of West Brattleboro. The family wish to express their deepest gratitude to the staff at Vernon Hall, who cared for Phil so lovingly. Memorial donations in Phil's name may be made to Vernon Homes, 61 Greenway Drive, Vernon, VT, 05354; or to the First Congregational Church of West Brattleboro, 880 Western Avenue, PO Box 2389, Brattleboro, VT, 05303. To send condolences please visit www.kidderfuneralhome.com.

2 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Hampton Falls - John Thomas Alston, 64, of Hampton Falls, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Monday, May 25, 2020, at the Exeter Hospital. John was born in Lawrence, Mass., on January 4, 1956, the only son of the late Donald and Marjorie (Brainerd) Alston. He is survived by his wife, Debbie Gaudreau of Hampton Falls; his son Thomas and wife, Joy of Hawaii; his step-daughters, Lisa Gaudreau of Hampton Falls and Amy Loews and husband, CJ of Wakefield, Mass.; his grandchildren, Finley, Vivian, Ryder, Benjamin and Isabella; and his sisters, Jane Solar and husband, Robert of Lincoln, Mass., and Nancy Skoglund and husband Wayne of Anna, Ill. Services will be private. Assistance with arrangements was by the Remick & Gendron Funeral Home - Crematory, Hampton. Please visit www.RemickGendron.com to read John's complete obituary, to sign his tribute wall and for additional information.

Newburyport - Genevieve H. (Baczewski) Kushmarick, wife of the late Michael J. Kushmarick, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 30, 2020 She was born in Lynn, on October 12, 1926. At the age of fourteen, she met the love of her life and declared to her mother, "Mama, who is that? I'm going to marry him!" Genevieve and Michael married in 1944 and soon thereafter had twin daughters. They moved to Amesbury, MA in 1958 where Genevieve became an active member for many years in the VFW Women's Auxiliary, serving as Secretary, Treasurer and later President. Genevieve obtained her Associates degree and worked for many years at Lucent Technology. The joy of her life was spending time with her beloved family. She had a passion for animals, loved Polka dancing, and laughing with her family. Grammy, as Genevieve was known to all, had a loving and generous heart and will truly be missed by all who knew her. She is survived by her twin daughters, Elaine Cronin Gold of Amesbury, and her husband, Stan; Ellen Krafton of Newburyport; six grandchildren: Theresa Krafton of Amesbury, Thomas Krafton of Exeter, NH, William Krafton of Wanaque, NJ and his wife, Kathleen; Brent Cronin of Fremont, NH and his wife, Renee; Brian Cronin of South Hampton, NH; and Bruce Cronin of Amesbury, MA and his wife, Ursula; four great-grandchildren, Killian Cronin, Kevin and Luke Krafton and Sophia Cronin Funeral arrangements are being handled by E.V. Jutras & Sons Funeral Home, Amesbury. Services will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Brian Cronin Recovery Fund, 96 Bridge Road, Salisbury, MA 01952.

Danvers - Phyllis (McKenney) Stelline, 89, of Danvers, Mass. passed away on April 6, 2020 at Beverly Hospital after a brief battle with Coronavirus. Phyllis was born on December 13, 1930 in Middleton, Mass. to the late Raymond and Doris (Nickerson) McKenney. Phyllis married her first husband, Albert Morin, in 1948, and they spent many happy years until his death in 1984. She remarried Henry Stelline in 1987 and they shared 33 years together. Phyllis worked at the Friends Box Co. in Danvers for several years, as a supervisor at L.F.E. in both the Danvers and Waltham locations, and eventually retired from Analogic in Peabody. Working was her passion, and she was proud of her accomplishments during her career. Phyllis was also an active member of the American Auxiliary, Post 194. She enjoyed bird watching, traveling the country in their RV, and spending time with her large family whom she loved very much. Phyllis was survived by her dear husband, Henry Stelline, Sr. who passed 7 weeks after her, on May 27th, 2020. Phyllis is survived by her four stepchildren, Henry John Stelline Jr. of North Carolina, Paul and wife, Cindy Stelline of Florida, Donna (Stelline) and husband, Mark Upham of North Carolina and David Stelline and wife Donna Eldredge of Massachusetts. Her grandchildren, Pam (Stelline) and husband David Saverance (and great-grandson, Jonathan), Matthew and wife Shauna Upham, Timothy and wife, Morgan Upham, Christopher and Fiancée Kenna Upham (and great-granddaughters, Jocelyn and Adalyn), Jacquelin (Upham) and husband, Ross Willard (and great-grandson, Wyatt), Kerri (Stelline) and husband PJ O'Loughlin, and Melissa Stelline and fiance, Colton Whitten, as well as several beloved nieces and nephews. Phyllis was predeceased by her siblings, Donald McKenney, Patricia Cole, Raymond McKenney and Dolores (McKenney) Currier. Services will be private and handled by Campbell Funeral Home 525 Cabot St, Beverly. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in her name to the St. Jude Children's Resource Hospital, an organization which Phyllis supported regularly. Information, directions, condolences at www.campbellfuneral.com.

Kensington - Robert S. Andrews passed away peacefully at home on May 31, 2020. Bobby was born on November 16, 1943 to Sylverster Andrews and Fannie Ranta Andrews. He was raised in Amesbury, MA and attended Amesbury High School, Class of 1962. He was a member of the United States Airforce, retiring as a Sargent. He received medals of National Defense Service, Vietnam Service, Air Force Good Conduct Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal. Bobby worked as a design engineer until he retired. Bobby enjoyed playing hockey, running track and skiing at his beloved Amesbury Ski Tow where he was a member of the National Ski Patrol. Bobby was also very fond of his yellow Labs. Bobby lived in Kensington NH, for the last 44 years and was a member of the Kensington Volunteer Fire Department. performing numerous roles in the department throughout his service. Bobby was an accomplished carpenter and built three houses over the years, it was always a labor of love He is survived by his daughter Jenny Tizzard, her husband Bill, their children, Jack, Emma and Connor of Portsmouth; his son Matthew Andrews and his wife Heather and their son Ryder of Kensington, NH.; his brother Stan and wife Beverly of Black Earth, Wisconsin. He is also survived by his former wife Laurie Andrews of Portsmouth, NH and Ft. Meyers, FL. who was his caregiver for the last two years; and his oldest and dearest longtime friend Roger Mason of Atkinson, NH. A special thank you to Donna DiMauro who helped care for him over the past two years. At this time, due to COVID, there will be a private family burial. At a later date to be announced, there will be a memorial service. Arrangements were made with the Paul C. Rogers Family Funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury.

Danvers - Henry John Stelline, Sr., 99, passed away on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at Beverly Hospital after a courageous seven-week battle with Coronavirus. Henry was born in Ipswich, Ma. on January 31st, 1921 to the late Maria (Diprofio) and Antonio Stelline. He attended Hamilton schools before joining the Army in July, 1942. Henry proudly served our country as a medic in World War II, and was awarded the Bronze Star before being honorably discharged in September, 1945. Henry married the late Rita (Daly) Stelline in 1942 and together they shared 42 happy years together before Rita passed away in 1986. After Rita's passing, Henry remarried Phyllis (McKenney) Stelline in 1987 and they enjoyed 33 years together until Phyllis' passing on April 6, 2020 of coronavirus. Henry worked as superintendent for the Patton Park in Hamilton, Ma, superintendent for Tioga Farm, Ipswich Ma., and then later for Myopia Hunt Club in Hamilton, Mass. He also served as assistant fire chief for the Hamilton fire department for many years. Henry enjoyed gardening, bird watching, traveling the country in his RV, and spending time with his large family whom he loved dearly. Henry was a proud member, and Past Commander, of the Hamilton American Legion Post 194, marching in every parade and participating in all events. Henry is survived by his four children, Henry John Stelline Jr. of North Carolina, Paul and wife, Cindy Stelline of Florida, Donna (Stelline) and husband Mark Upham of North Carolina and David Stelline and wife, Donna Eldredge of Massachusetts. He is also survived by his sisters, Theresa (Stelline) Zampell, Elizabeth "Betty" (Stelline) Chagnon, Carmella (Stelline) Butman, Virginia "Ginny" (Stelline) Sciola, his grandchildren, Pam (Stelline) and husband David Saverance (and great-grandson, Jonathan), Matthew and wife Shauna Upham, Timothy and wife, Morgan Upham, Christopher and Fiancée Kenna Allman (and great-granddaughters, Jocelyn and Adalyn), Jacquelin (Upham) and husband, Ross Willard (and great-grandson Wyatt), Kerri (Stelline) and husband, PJ O'Loughlin, and Melissa Stelline and Fiancée Colton Whitten, many nieces and nephews. Henry was predeceased by his siblings, Anne (Stelline) Mazzetta, Mary (Stelline) DeFrancisco, James Stelline, and John Stelline (who passed in the Korean War at the age of 21), his grandson, Dana Stelline and granddaughter, Tracey Stelline. Services will be private and handled by Campbell Funeral Home, 525 Cabot St., Beverly. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Henrys name to the American Legion Post 194, Hamilton, Mass. Information, directions, condolences at www.campbellfuneral.com.

31 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Seabrook - Josephine P. (Messina) Tabacco, 84, of Seabrook, N.H., passed away peacefully at Lahey Clinic Burlington, from complications of congestive heart failure in the early hours of Thursday, May 28, 2020. Born Monday, May 18, 1936, she was the beloved wife of the late John L Tabacco and the daughter to the late Santo and Angelina (Battiato) Messina. She leaves behind her three children, Paul Tabacco and wife Michele of Conway, N.H., Linda (Tabacco) Colby of Georgetown, Mass., Michael Tabacco and his wife Heather of Mooresville, N.C.; her sister, Ann Silva and brother-in-law, Frank Silva of Kingston, N.H.; her sister-in-law, Connie Rivard of Englewood, Fla.; her six grandchildren, Kristen Tabacco of Beverly, Mass., Rachel Tabacco of Milford, N.H., Nicholas Colby and his wife, Stefanie of Byfield, Mass., Joseph Colby and his wife, Sylvia of Newbury, Mass., Mikey Tabacco and Angelina Tabacco of N.C.; great-grandson, Giovanni Tabacco, and many nieces, nephews, and cousins. She was predeceased by her husband John; infant son John S.; brothers, Philip Messina, Salvatore "Sam" Messina, and Fred Messina. Raised in North Andover, Josephine graduated from Johnson High School and went on to become an executive secretary for the civil service at Fort Devens, Hanscom Field, as well as Bolton Emerson, Avco, and Raytheon. In retirement she was a resident of Seabrook, N.H. and Englewood, Fla., and a longtime resident of Salisbury Beach where she raised her children and operated the family's well known businesses. In recent years you could find her working at Agawam Diner where she would cashier with a great smile. One of her greatest joys was spending time with all her family, she was very close to her children, and all her grandchildren. Josie was an amazing cook. She loved her bowling league and was regarded as a sought after team member. She served as hospital volunteer in Newburyport, Mass., and Englewood, Fla. Throughout her life, she maintained many treasured friendships and will always be remembered for her sweetness and kindness. She was adored by everybody, her love and acceptance of others was her greatest gift to everybody fortunate enough to have known her. The family would like to offer a special thank you to the staff at Lahey Clinic of Burlington for all the care and support they provided. Family and friends may call on Tuesday, from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Conte Funeral Home, 17 Third Street, North Andover, MA 01845. A funeral Mass will be celebrated on Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. at St. Michael's Church, 196 Main Street, North Andover, MA 01845. Burial will follow in Ridgewood Cemetery, North Andover.

Amesbury - Constance A. Small, 98, of Amesbury, formerly of Needham, and a 50 year summer resident of West Dennis, died on May 25, 2020. Constance was predeceased by her late husband, John H. Small. She leaves a son, Alan A. Small and his wife Dr. Debra Petrucci of Greenwich Connecticut, and a daughter, Judith A. Bowden and her husband Scott Bowden of Newbury, Mass., as well as three beloved grandchildren, Alexandra Small, Henry Bowden, and Anna Bowden. Constance grew up in Brighton, Mass and attended Brighton High School. She then went on to graduate from Boston University in 1940. She was employed by New England Telephone in Boston, where she met her husband John. She was the daughter of James and Maryann Attridge of Brighton. Due to the current health crisis, a private celebration of life will be held at a future date. The Twomey, LeBlanc, & Conte Funeral Home, 193 High St. ,Newburyport, MA 01950 is assisting Mrs. Small's family with her funeral arrangements. To offer online condolences please visit www.tlcfuneralhome.com.

Salisbury - Frederick "Fred" P. Trofatter, Sr., age 81, of Salisbury, died peacefully at his home on May 27, 2020. He was the beloved husband of Carol (Wadlin) Trofatter who predeceased him in 2006. Fred was born in Cambridge, Mass., to the late Herbert A. and Alta M. (Plouffe) Trofatter. He attended Hampton Academy and then enlisted in the U.S. Air Force, proudly serving our country during the Viet Nam War. Upon his return from the service he entered the Air Force Reserve and the Fire service. He retired with honors as a Master Sergeant from the Air Force; and after serving for 22 years with the Salisbury Fire Department, he retired as a Lieutenant. Pa, as Fred was affectionately known by his family and many of his friends, is survived by his daughter Elaine Whittemore, and her husband Scott; son Fred Trofatter Jr., and his wife, Heather; and son Ken Trofatter, and his wife Jillian. Additionally, Fred was survived by five grandsons and one great-grandson: Ryan, Kyle, Warren, Colby, Chase, and Logan; a step-granddaughter Erin and a step-grandson, Erik. Fred is also survived by his sister, Ruth Devorss, and her husband, Jerry; a sister-in-law, Dorothy (Dottie) Trofatter and one brother, Richard; along with several generations of nieces, nephews, cousins, extended family, and many dear friends. In addition to his parents he was predeceased by his brothers, Herbert Jr., William, and Robert. Due to the current health pandemic, a private graveside service will be held at St. Mary's Cemetery in Newburyport, where he will be laid to rest with his beloved wife Carol. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions can be made to the Merrimack Valley Hospice, 360 Merrimack Street, Bldg. 9, Lawrence, MA. 01843, or online at www.homehealthfoundation.org Funeral arrangements are being handled by E.V. Jutras & Sons Funeral Home, in Amesbury, Mass.

Merrimac - Gerald "Jerry" Foley, 84, of Merrimac, passed away peacefully at his home from natural causes on May 30, 2020. Jerry was a long time resident of Newburyport, the fifth of six children born to Cornelius and Ester (Robinson) Foley. He attended Newburyport public schools and was a proud member of the United States Navy beginning in 1953. He was stationed overseas on the USS Iowa. Jerry worked for the US Postal Service as a supervisor prior to his retirement. An avid sports fan, he was a Clipper at heart but a fan of wherever else his children and grandchildren took the field as athletes or coaches. Over the years he cheered on Colgate University, Bates College, North Andover High School, Pentucket High School, The Brooks School, Springfield College, Geneva College, and Penn State University as well as a few others. As he would say about his life, "I had a good run!" Jerry was known for spreading his life advice through popular "Jerryisms" such as "Great Country America", "Stay out of the hot sun", "Do what you're told", "I may not always be right, but I am never wrong", "Ball Security, Play with a chip, Hit the books, and Let it all hang out". Jerry leaves behind a son, Michael Foley and his wife, Kathleen of Salisbury, MA and three daughters, Linda Eaton and her husband, Calvin of South Hampton, NH, Alicia Harvillle and her husband, Robert of Merrimac and Dianne Freiermuth and her husband, John of Merrimac. In addition "Pa" will be missed by his 11 grandchildren, Erin and Patrick Foley, Shawn, Beth and Christopher Eaton, Michael, Nicholas and Tyler Harvillle and Timothy, Patrick and Megan Freiermuth. He also leaves behind his sister, Donna Bastien and her husband Robert as well as eight great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. Jerry was predeceased by his wife, Ginger, who died in 1995. He and his one true love shared 40 years of marriage before her passing. A private graveside service will be held at St. Mary Cemetery in Newburyport, where he will be laid to rest with his beloved wife Ginger. The Twomey, LeBlanc, & Conte Funeral Home 193 High St. Newburyport, MA 01950 is assisting Mr. Foley's family with his funeral arrangements. To offer online condolences please visit www.tlcfuneralhome.com.

Amesbury - Claire E. Ryan, of Amesbury, passed away peacefully at Anna Jacques Hospital on May 29, 2020. Born January 26, 1919 in Lowell, Mass. she was the daughter of the late Clara (Becht) and Reynold V . Ilg Claire attended Lowell High and graduated from Bradshaw Business School. She worked until she met and married her late husband, James E. Ryan, in 1943. After the war ended, Claire and James resided in Amesbury until James passing in 1987, after which Claire moved to Newburyport where she resided for 29 additional years until moving into the Elizabeth Calsey House in Amesbury, where she was living at the time of her death. After raising three children, Claire worked at various jobs from McHughs in downtown Amesbury to the Amesbury Courthouse. She also belonged to various organizations, including the Whittier Home, the Red Hatters and the Daughters of Isabella. She leaves behind a son, James R. Ryan and wife Kristen of Colorado and Las Vegas, and a daughter, Janice Desmond and husband Michael of Newbury, along with three nieces and a nephew. Claire was predeceased by her husband James in 1987 and her daughter, Mary P O'Boyle in 2011. Claire was a strong woman and stayed that way until the time of her death. She always kept moving and was an inspiration to those who knew her because of her energy and unstoppable guidance to her friends, whether they wanted it or not. Due to the continued restrictions resulting from COVID-19, the Funeral Mass at St. Joseph's Church of the Holly Family Parish, 2 School Street, Amesbury and burial at Union Cemetery, Amesbury will be private. In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation in her memory to either the Elizabeth Calsey House, 286 Lions Mouth Road, Amesbury, MA 01913 or to MSPCA at Nevins Farm, 400 Broadway, Methuen, MA 01844. Arrangements were made with the Paul C. Rogers Family Funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury.

Amesbury - Anthony J. "Tony" Leo, 90 years old, of Amesbury, and formerly of Lynn, passed away at home due to congestive heart failure, on Friday, May 29, 2020, with his loving family by his side. He was born in Boston, the son of the late John and Mary (DiFillipo) Leo. Tony was the husband of the late Ruth (Wescott) Leo, who passed away in 1996 after 42 years of marriage. Tony graduated from Lynn Classical High School in 1947. After graduation he worked at the family business, Post Office Bowling Lanes in Lynn, MA. He joined the U.S. Army and was stationed in Germany during the Korean War. He worked in the drafting department of General Electric first as a draftsman and later as a manager, retiring after 34 years. Along with his brothers John and Bob, he owned the Post Office Bowling Lanes in Lynn as well as the Metro Bowl in Peabody. He also owned Leo's Super Bowl in Amesbury with his son Michael. He was a talented bowler appearing on Don Gillis' TV Candlepin Bowling Show 28 times. He won the All State Bowling title in 1964 and he was inducted into the Candlepin Bowling Hall of Fame in 1999. After his retirement from GE, he continued to bowl, play golf and most importantly, enjoyed spending precious time with his family. He was a member of the Saugus VFW and a parishioner at Holy Redeemer Parish, Merrimac. Tony is survived by his loving companion of 20 years, Barbara Marshall, his children, Susan Black and her husband, Joseph of Westborough, MA, Linda Leo and her husband Donald Potter of Otisfield, Maine, and Michael Leo and his wife Elza of Amesbury. He leaves his grandchildren, Joseph Black, Jr. and his wife Kathleen, Christopher Black, Michael Black and his wife Rosalind, Tonimarie Black Welch and her husband Joseph Welch, Brendan Black, and Sara Norris and two great grandchildren, Hailey and Collin Black. He also leaves his brother Robert Leo and his wife, Jean of Lynn, his sisters, Teresa LeBlanc and Jane Mullins of Salem; his brother-in-law, Kenneth Wescott and his wife, Charlene of Myrtle Beach, SC and several nieces, nephews, and cousins. He was predeceased by his brother and sister-in-law, John and Phyllis Leo, sisters and brothers-in-law, Josephine and Achille Palmieri, Lucy and Arthur Marengi, brothers-in-law, Raymond LeBlanc and Robert Mullins, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, Donald and Mickey Wescott, and Edward and Shirley Wescott. Tony was a generous, humble, caring and kind man who was devoted to his family. He was truly one of the nice guys. Adhering to the guidelines of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the CDC, Funeral Services will be private. Burial will be held in the Pine Grove Cemetery, Lynn. Arrangements entrusted to Solimine Funeral Homes, Lynn. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Muscular Dystrophy Association of Maine, 39 Mechanic St. #100, Westbrook, ME 04092. Online guestbook for family and friends to offer condolences at www.solimine.com.

Newburyport - James J. Gallagher, passed away May 29th following a lengthy illness. Jim was born August 8, 1941 in Newburyport graduating from Newburyport High in 1959. Following graduation Jim enlisted into the US Air Force serving in Korea and England; following his discharge Jim attended U-Mass Amherst. Jim worked at Western Electric until his retirement in 1996. He was an active member of the Newburyport Jaycees helping the organization with their July 4th carnival at Cashman Park, working the refreshment stand during Old Fashion Sunday as well as working the refreshment stand at Newburyport High during football games. He served one term as the President. Jim was a member of the American Yacht Club for 55 years serving on many volunteer and elected committees including the Executive Committee; he also served as Secretary for three years. Jim and his wife Sue spent many hours sailing and racing with their two sons and on their own. They spent several summers traveling the Maine Coast as well as Cape Cod and the islands; their farthest travel took them to Shelter Island, NY. Jim leaves behind his wife of 49 years, Susanne (Corey) Gallagher, his sons Patrick Gallagher and his wife Elif and David Gallagher and his wife Joy, his two granddaughters Caitlin and Ashley Gallagher who were the apple of his eye. He loved to play in the pool with Caitlin and Ashley always telling them to look out for a hippopotamus. Jim also leaves behind his sisters, Catherine Gossman of Mulberry, Florida and Patricia Eaton of Seabrook, New Hampshire, a brother John Gallagher and his wife Susan of Fort Smith Arkansas as well as several nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, Jeremiah & Anita (Chatigny) Gallagher, Jim was predeceased by his sister Thelma Bartley, brothers-in-law Gunther Gossman, Edward Bartley and Wallace Eaton. A private graveside service will be held at St. Mary Cemetery in Newburyport. The Twomey, LeBlanc, & Conte Funeral Home 193 High St. Newburyport, MA 01950 is assisting Mr. Gallagher's family with his funeral arrangements. To offer online condolences please visit www.tlcfuneralhome.com.

28 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Amesbury - Felix H. Kuran, Jr., age 79, (known as Bud, of Amesbury, passed peacefully at his home on Thursday, morning, May 21, 2020, after a long period of declining health. He was the devoted husband of Gloria N. (Bason) Kuran, his wife of 56 years. In addition to his beloved wife, Gloria, Bud also leaves behind his two children, Nancy A. Kuran and Richard F. Kuran, both of Amesbury; his one and only grandson, who was so very dear to him, Preston; his sister, Jean Buckley and her husband, Bill and his sister-in-law, Diana Johnson and her husband, along with extended family, dear friends and longtime colleagues. Born in Perth Amboy, New Jersey on November 23, 1940, he was the only son of the late Felix and Victoria (Thorik) Kuran. He graduated from Perth Amboy High School, then went on to receive a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the school now know as NJIT. Bud's first job was at the Newport News, Va. Ship Building and Dry Dock Co on the first nuclear carrier, Enterprise. He moved to Massachusetts and Lynn's GE Aviation Division. While he worked on many engines in his 35 years at GE, his favorite was the T700; the engine of the Blackhawk helicopter. He was an exemplary employee, with many special Citations for his accomplishments. After retirement, he was a proud civilian volunteer with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary in Newburyport. Volunteering for many years, Bud's favorite duties were on-water safety patrols and teaching safe boating to new boaters. He was a member of the railroad museum of Amesbury and an avid collector of HO Scale trains. Bud and Gloria enjoyed anything about early American History. At his request, there will be no services. Arrangements were made with the Paul C. Rogers Family Funeral Home, 2 Hillside Avenue, Amesbury.

28 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Largo - age 88, passed away at his home in Largo, Fla. on May 20th, 2020 surrounded by his loved ones. He was born on July 29th, 1931 in Newburyport to late the late Herbert E. True & Alice G. (Dow) True. He was predeceased by his brothers Herbert and Bruce True, and a sister Virginia (True) Wallace. Murl graduated from Amesbury High School, Class of 1949, and enjoyed keeping in touch with his classmates. He was a proud United States Marine Corp Veteran who served during the Korean War. Murl was lifetime member of St Mark's Lodge, Newburyport. Murl was employed by New England Tel. & Tel. in instillation, attending school in Boston for his work. He later work for International Tel. & Tel. frequently took him abroad. Murl enjoyed the ocean and everything nautical. He loved to travel and took many cruises with his "Favorite Lady" Jane. He loved to recite poetry, have political discussions, and tell stories of his heritage of which he was very proud. He leaves his long-time beloved companion of 48 years, Jane R. Gardella and her family members. He also leaves his dear friends George & Emile, a nephew, and nieces. Memorial Services and burial will be held in Salisbury at a later date.

Solve Our Daily Crossword Puzzle

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Daily Bits and Bites
Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...

spell the word:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

Hangman
The Town Common - Digital
US Special Committee on Aging

The United States Senate's Special Committee on Aging, currently chaired by Senator Susan M. Collins (R-ME), was established in 1961 as a temporary committee. It was granted permanent status in February, 1977. While special committees have no legislative authority, they can study issues, conduct oversight of programs, and investigate reports of fraud and waste. Note: Senior victims of fraud can report it to the Fraud Hotline.

The Special Committee on Aging has served as a focal point in the Senate for discussion and debate on matters relating to older Americans, and often submits its findings and recommendations for legislation to the Senate. The Committee additionally publishes materials of assistance to those interested in public policies which relate to the elderly.

For more information, visit the Committee's press releases page. It is a gold mine of legislative issue and hearing information, and resource links, plus: you can sign up for e-News; order publications; view the latest list of issues and press releases; get prescription assistance ... and more!

Boston - Nation - World News
Globe Front Page

Massachusetts State Lottery Commission
6 Jun 2020 at 1:53am
Current Winning Numbers

6 Jun 2020 at 12:53am

6 Jun 2020 at 12:53am

Draw ID: 2405
Winning Number: 32-35-37-47-55     Mega Ball: 22     Megaplier: 3
Current Jackpot: $378 Million
Jackpot Winners: None
Next Draw Date: 06/09/2020 Tuesday
Estimated Jackpot: $410 Million
Estimated Cash Option: $308.2 Million
Video: https://youtu.be/zQYGax1o9pk

4 Jun 2020 at 12:31am

Draw ID: 1079
Winning Number: 01-03-26-41-64     Powerball: 17     Powerplay: 2
Current Jackpot: $136.4 Million
Jackpot Winners: 1
Next Draw Date: 06/06/2020 Saturday
Estimated Jackpot: $20 Million
Estimated Cash Option: $15.8 Million
Video: https://youtu.be/HExBlTCcPbM

4 Jun 2020 at 11:22pm

Draw ID: 859
Winning Number: 09-18-24-26-29     Lucky Ball: 08
Current Jackpot: $1,000
Next Draw Date: 06/08/2020 Monday
Estimated Top Prize: $1,000
Video: https://youtu.be/6X9bGlLqLkY

3 Jun 2020 at 10:59pm

Draw ID: 3831
Winning Number: 03-17-22-30-37-40     ST Doubler: 7
Current Jackpot: $1,894,736
Estimated Jackpot: $2,000,000
Estimated Cash Option: $1,820,000
Video: https://youtu.be/WIsIvAZIAY0

5 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm

Draw ID: 5496
Winning Number: 04-07-17-21-27
Current Jackpot: $100,000
Jackpot Winners: 1
Estimated Top Prize: $100,000
Video: https://youtu.be/OdWVVxbqW5w

5 Jun 2020 at 7:57pm

Draw ID: 19796
Winning Number: 3-9-9-5
Payouts:
Exact 4: $5,485   Exact 3: $768   Exact 2: $66   Exact 1: $7
Any 4: $457   Any First 3: $256   Any Last 3: $256
Video: https://youtu.be/zjzKxgUwP9E

5 Jun 2020 at 12:57pm

Draw ID: 19795
Winning Number: 1-8-7-8
Payouts:
Exact 4: $6,145   Exact 3: $860   Exact 2: $74   Exact 1: $7
Any 4: $512   Any First 3: $143   Any Last 3: $287
Video: https://youtu.be/RkKeGL287t8

NYT > Top Stories
NYT > Top Stories
6 Jun 2020 at 7:57am

6 Jun 2020 at 7:41am
Police departments across the United States are re-examining their use-of-force policies. And public health officials are warning about the risk of spreading the coronavirus.

6 Jun 2020 at 5:26am
Tens of thousands turned out in solidarity with U.S. protests against the death of George Floyd, while denouncing the deaths of Aboriginal Australians in police custody.

6 Jun 2020 at 1:51am
Demonstrations filled the city’s streets for another day, and mostly dispersed in a more muted way than they had the two previous nights.

5 Jun 2020 at 9:09pm
Amid tensions with the president over his deployment of federal officers during protests, Washington’s mayor had “Black Lives Matter” painted near the White House in an unmistakable assertion of control.

5 Jun 2020 at 11:13pm
It increasingly resembles a Washington version of the Green Zone that sheltered American and Iraqi officials in Baghdad.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:01pm
Officers have charged and swung batons at demonstrators after curfew with seemingly little provocation. The mayor said he would review any reports of inappropriate enforcement.

6 Jun 2020 at 3:03am
The U.S. is still confirming more than 20,000 new cases every day. Mexico is slowly reopening, but some people fear it’s moving too fast.

5 Jun 2020 at 6:56pm
A surprise jump in the number of people working may give Republican lawmakers less incentive to renew the very programs that have hastened the labor market’s rebound.

6 Jun 2020 at 1:05am
The president tweeted to say it was disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem, as Colin Kaepernick and other players began doing in 2016 to protest racial injustice. N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell then said the league supported players peacefully protesting.

6 Jun 2020 at 12:10am
Some demonstrators, and in some cases the police, have paused to kneel, recalling the manner of George Floyd’s death and the gesture by Colin Kaepernick.

6 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
After a high-stakes and public feud with Democratic officials in a state he won four years ago, Mr. Trump and the Republican officials are moving to largely shift convention proceedings to another state.

“Don’t boo — vote,” has been Barack Obama’s mantra. Now, Democrats want to adapt it: Protest, then vote.

National News | Boston.com
National News | Boston.com
5 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm
Boston.com

5 Jun 2020 at 3:20pm
“There can be no justice without healing and accountability."

This story originally appeared on STAT, a health and medicine website that provides ambitious coverage of the coronavirus. Go here for more stories on the virus. Try STAT Plus for exclusive analysis of biotech, pharma, and the life sciences. And check out STAT’s COVID-19 tracker.   Even as Americans fight (and even kill) over the country’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, there is […]

5 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
“The work of anti-racism is more than just updating your reading list but asking why your reading list has always looked a certain way.”

5 Jun 2020 at 10:49am
J

5 Jun 2020 at 10:13am
What began as an undercurrent of newsroom grumbling built into an unusual Twitter tidal wave of public outrage among journalists at the New York Times over their newspaper’s decision to publish an opinion column by Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., calling for military intervention in U.S. cities wracked by protests over police violence. But after 24 […]

4 Jun 2020 at 9:46pm
The rallies continued across Massachusetts as demonstrators called for justice.

4 Jun 2020 at 8:52pm
"The comments are inexcusable and offensive, and have no place in our society."

4 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
A running list of resources in Massachusetts to turn action into real change

4 Jun 2020 at 3:34pm
"If you don’t understand right now, just listen."

4 Jun 2020 at 2:36pm
“This frustration and anger and fear that we have, turn it into jet fuel and let it take you exactly where you all, and we all, need to go, and that’s to a voting booth.”

World | Boston.com
World | Boston.com
5 Jun 2020 at 6:51pm
Boston.com

This story originally appeared on STAT, a health and medicine website that provides ambitious coverage of the coronavirus. Go here for more stories on the virus. Try STAT Plus for exclusive analysis of biotech, pharma, and the life sciences. And check out STAT’s COVID-19 tracker.   Even as Americans fight (and even kill) over the country’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, there is […]

1 Jun 2020 at 11:56am
The death of yet another Black man at the hands of police is setting off mass protests, even outside the U.S.

30 May 2020 at 5:01pm
The mission, dubbed "Demo-2," is the final test flight before NASA certifies the SpaceX spacecraft for regular crewed missions.

25 May 2020 at 8:38am
EuroLeague officials plan to start the 2020-21 season on Oct. 1.

24 May 2020 at 3:52pm
The zoo said the alligator, named Saturn, was about 84 years old when he died on Friday.

21 May 2020 at 10:12am
“His favorite song is the national anthem.”

20 May 2020 at 10:28am
U.S. authorities have arrested two men accused of helping former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn flee Japan while awaiting trial on charges of financial misconduct

17 May 2020 at 9:31pm
The crash left debris scattered across the neighborhood near the airport in the city of Kamloops, 260 miles northeast of Vancouver.

16 May 2020 at 11:33pm
Numerous polls showed a growing majority in Germany were against the resumption of the leagues.

8 May 2020 at 5:05pm
The Waltham-based company's dog-like robot is in Singapore reminding joggers not to get too close.

| Boston.com
 | Boston.com
6 Jun 2020 at 11:37am
Boston.com

6 Jun 2020 at 7:37am
Rallies called for justice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and all Black Americans killed by police.

6 Jun 2020 at 7:30am
“If all the sudden, they go from ‘everybody home all the time’ to ‘nobody home all day long,’ it can lead to some serious behavioral problems.”

6 Jun 2020 at 12:20am
A 60-year-old Maryland man was arrested on three counts of misdemeanor assault Friday night amid allegations he attacked three people who were trying to post anti-police brutality fliers along a bicycle trail in Bethesda. Anthony Brennan, of Kensington, came across the trio – ages 18, 19 and 19 – while riding his bike Monday along […]

5 Jun 2020 at 8:32pm
“Without black players, there would be no National Football League."

5 Jun 2020 at 8:07pm
"I stand with those who are calling out the ingrained racism and violence toward people of color in our country."

5 Jun 2020 at 7:39pm
Brees said Thursday that he will be "part of the solution."

5 Jun 2020 at 6:02pm
The decision, which was cheered by transit advocates, is not going over well with the Massachusetts State Police's union.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:58pm
"We're very excited to reopen and start welcoming people back to Nantucket and to the hotel."

5 Jun 2020 at 5:21pm
"The feelings of pain, sadness, and frustration were overwhelming, but the feelings of community and empowerment were also powerful," said Lauren Huff who attended Sunday's protest in Boston.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
"Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders," Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans told WGRZ.

Google Alert - US Breaking News
5 Jun 2020 at 9:18pm

5 Jun 2020 at 9:18pm
LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The US Attorney is one of the top federal prosecutors in the State of Nevada. His office is handling some cases related to Black ...

5 Jun 2020 at 7:15pm
Wanya Reese: We have seen it across the news for the past couple of ... I feel like in a sense of police brutality, it is that time where not only us as ...

5 Jun 2020 at 5:56pm
“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try,” Mattis states in an ...

5 Jun 2020 at 5:56pm
OFF THE CUFF: Breaking the silence with a scream ... The retired Marine Corps general shared his thoughts and insight after U.S. Attorney William ... attributes a growing number of events with mass casualties to those organizations.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm
This wall honors those who gave their last measure of devotion. ... claiming they had used the movie footage to make protests in the U.S. appear worse. ... “#MSNBC using World War Z movie trailer as “Breaking News” footage of ...

5 Jun 2020 at 5:22pm
CLAIM: MSNBC knowingly used footage from the movie “World War Z” and claimed it showed the current protests, to push a narrative that America is on ...

5 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm
There was unrest in Miami last Saturday night and in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday night. Another protest is taking place Friday evening in the Wynwood ...

5 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Baker has said that each phase would last at minimum three weeks, and ... Sign up and receive coronavirus news and breaking updates, from our ...

The death of Floyd has become the latest flashpoint for long-simmering rage over police brutality against African Americans and led to nationwide ...

5 Jun 2020 at 4:26pm
Those two have been the American representatives the last three years, but Casas had a big 2019, putting ... The 200 IM is another one of those events at the U.S. Olympic Trials that seems to be, at the moment, a battle for second.

5 Jun 2020 at 3:07pm
NATO referred questions about the reduction to the US government. This story is breaking and will be updated.

5 Jun 2020 at 2:43pm
Don't miss any breaking news from MyNewsLA.com. Sign up here for your free newsletter. Email Address.

Google Alert - AP News Headlines
5 Jun 2020 at 7:03pm

5 Jun 2020 at 7:03pm
AMERICA PROTESTS-WORLD'S STREETS — When black men died at the hands of U.S. police in recent years, the news made international headlines.

5 Jun 2020 at 2:22pm
Stocks surged on the news, and an exultant President Trump seized on the report ... Find more coverage of the Virus Outbreak in AP Newsroom. ... at the hands of U.S. police in recent years, the news made international headlines.

5 Jun 2020 at 12:30am
Subscribe and keep your ad blocker activated. Or turn off your ad blocker to continue reading. Support local news today! Subscribe Now No ...

World
The Washington Post World section provides information and analysis of breaking world news stories. In addition to our world news and video, Post World News offers discussions and blogs on major international news and economic issues.

People across the country are trying to fill a need for help.

5 Jun 2020 at 11:56am
While the epidemic was initially concentrated in the capital, Tehran, and the holy city of Qom, the new flare-up has largely been centered in Khuzestan province, an oil-rich region in Iran’s southwest.

5 Jun 2020 at 1:37am
Families feel shame and despair as economic distress leaves them little other way of making ends meet.

6 Jun 2020 at 6:00am
Libya is high on Putin’s list of exerting Russian global power — for possible economic deals and military footholds.

5 Jun 2020 at 6:11am
Abdelmalek Droukdel led the extremist organization’s affiliates across North Africa and the Sahel.

5 Jun 2020 at 2:48am
The capture of Tarhuna further thwarted Khalifa Hifter’s ambitions to seize the capital and rule Libya.

5 Jun 2020 at 2:42am
Europe’s experience so far suggests that reopening schools, shops and restaurants and even permitting large protests does not lead to an inevitable resurgence.

5 Jun 2020 at 2:24am
“Who killed Mark Duggan? The police killed Mark Duggan,” demonstrators chanted at a protest in London over the weekend.

5 Jun 2020 at 12:12pm
Well beyond a billion students were sent home from schools as the novel coronavirus spread around the world.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:19am
Protests echo outrage over the death of George Floyd, yet Aboriginal Australians don’t have to look beyond their shores for evidence of discrimination.

5 Jun 2020 at 8:01am
Two tree surgeons say they have the perfect job for the coronavirus era.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:14am
Hao Haidong, a retired striker for the national team, records video message saying the authoritarian regime in Beijing should be “kicked out of humanity.”

Top Stories

22 May 2019 at 1:38pm

All aboard! The beloved Hobo and Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroads are getting ready to kick off another season.

6 Jun 2020 at 7:35am

The remembrance of George Floyd's life in the state he was born follows a night of de-escalation for protests in many cities across the U.S.

6 Jun 2020 at 7:08am

Fifty-seven police officers in Buffalo, New York, have resigned from the force's emergency response team following the suspension of two officers who allegedly pushed a 75-year-old protester to the ground.

Video- Hot, Humid And Turning Stormy

6 Jun 2020 at 6:49am

These updated recommendations, announced on Friday, are a shift from what WHO previously advised on masks, which was to not wear them if you are not sick or not caring for someone who is sick, in an effort to keep masks available for health workers.

6 Jun 2020 at 5:25am

Authorities are looking into the possibility of the killings being drug-related, a sheriff's office spokesman said.

6 Jun 2020 at 4:04am

Minneapolis agreed Friday to ban chokeholds and neck restraints by police and to require officers to try to stop any other officers they see using improper force.

6 Jun 2020 at 3:36am

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took a knee during a Black Lives Matter demonstration in Ottawa on Friday.

6 Jun 2020 at 2:26am

Minneapolis agreed Friday to ban chokeholds and neck restraints by police and to require officers to try to stop any other officers they see using improper force, in the first concrete steps to remake the city's police force since George Floyd's death.

6 Jun 2020 at 1:36am

Protesters stirred by the death of George Floyd vowed Friday to turn an extraordinary outpouring of grief into a sustained movement as demonstrations shifted to a calmer, but no less determined focus on addressing racial injustice.

6 Jun 2020 at 12:56am

"I think it was scary for everyone else around me. I knew I was going to be OK. I knew I had a 3-year-old that I was going to keep living for."

6 Jun 2020 at 12:56am

As protests continue in cities across the U.S., health care workers are showing their support.

News : NPR
NPR news, audio, and podcasts. Coverage of breaking stories, national and world news, politics, business, science, technology, and extended coverage of major national and world events.

Kenosha County, Wisc., voted for the president by less than 1%. Republicans and Democrats are horrified by George Floyd's killing, but the unity falters when Trump and Biden enter the conversation.

The unconscious man was a Beatles fan, his sister said. When she couldn't be with him in his final ICU hours she asked Dr. Daniel Colón Hidalgo to play music and say the words she wanted him to hear.

6 Jun 2020 at 5:35am
Whether by painting murals, tweeting or taking to the streets, people in countries struggling with conflict, poverty and other crises are showing support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

6 Jun 2020 at 2:34am
The order is in response to a complaint filed against the City of Denver that alleges the police department's use of such weapons violated citzens' First and Fourth Amendment rights.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:42pm
Mark Zuckerberg says the company will consider labeling some posts that break its rules, as Twitter done with the president's inflammatory and false tweets.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:25pm
Months after sealing up the primary campaign, former Vice President Joe Biden earns enough delegates to secure the Democratic nomination. He's also risen in recent general election polling.

5 Jun 2020 at 9:24pm
The ruling, which could apply to several prisoners held at the U.S. military prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, suggests the court agrees the prisoners are owed something for having been tortured.

5 Jun 2020 at 8:57pm
Activists demand the removal of statues of King Leopold II, who oversaw the brutal colonization and exploitation of Congo. They hope the global spotlight on racial injustice will help them succeed.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:53pm
Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks after calls for the NFL to take a strong stand amid nationwide protests, but the league's statement makes no reference to Colin Kaepernick.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:16pm
"The prosecution of protesters charged with these low-level offenses undermines critical bonds between law enforcement and the communities we serve," District Attorney Cyrus Vance said Friday.

News : NPR
NPR news, audio, and podcasts. Coverage of breaking stories, national and world news, politics, business, science, technology, and extended coverage of major national and world events.

Kenosha County, Wisc., voted for the president by less than 1%. Republicans and Democrats are horrified by George Floyd's killing, but the unity falters when Trump and Biden enter the conversation.

The unconscious man was a Beatles fan, his sister said. When she couldn't be with him in his final ICU hours she asked Dr. Daniel Colón Hidalgo to play music and say the words she wanted him to hear.

6 Jun 2020 at 5:35am
Whether by painting murals, tweeting or taking to the streets, people in countries struggling with conflict, poverty and other crises are showing support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

The order is in response to a complaint filed against the City of Denver that alleges the police department's use of such weapons violated citzens' First and Fourth Amendment rights.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:42pm
Mark Zuckerberg says the company will consider labeling some posts that break its rules, as Twitter done with the president's inflammatory and false tweets.

5 Jun 2020 at 10:25pm
Months after sealing up the primary campaign, former Vice President Joe Biden earns enough delegates to secure the Democratic nomination. He's also risen in recent general election polling.

5 Jun 2020 at 9:24pm
The ruling, which could apply to several prisoners held at the U.S. military prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, suggests the court agrees the prisoners are owed something for having been tortured.

5 Jun 2020 at 8:57pm
Activists demand the removal of statues of King Leopold II, who oversaw the brutal colonization and exploitation of Congo. They hope the global spotlight on racial injustice will help them succeed.

Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks after calls for the NFL to take a strong stand amid nationwide protests, but the league's statement makes no reference to Colin Kaepernick.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:16pm
"The prosecution of protesters charged with these low-level offenses undermines critical bonds between law enforcement and the communities we serve," District Attorney Cyrus Vance said Friday.

National : NPR
NPR coverage of national news, U.S. politics, elections, business, arts, culture, health and science, and technology. Subscribe to the NPR Nation RSS feed.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:45pm
Hundreds of cars circle San Francisco, festooned with signs honoring George Floyd and other black victims of police violence. Similar protests are planned from Detroit to Connecticut.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:34pm
The agreement between the city and state human rights authorities promises several reforms. It comes after the state opened a civil rights investigation into the city's police department.

Get the latest on coronavirus-related restrictions in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

5 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
One protester in New York City said George Floyd's death moved him to action. "As a black person, I've actually been relatively passive."

5 Jun 2020 at 4:13pm
After an unveiling attended by the mayor, "Black Lives Matter" now adorns an official street sign near the White House — and a yellow-lettered mural that spans two city blocks.

5 Jun 2020 at 4:13pm
First responders and health workers are already exhausted by the pandemic. But now street protests around the U.S. are adding new hardships, potentially contributing to the second wave of the virus.

Your Health : NPR
3 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
News and commentary about personal health, medicine, healthcare, drugs, diet, recipes, and nutrition. Download the Your Health podcast and subscribe to our RSS feed.

3 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
Most preventive medical care that can't be handled via telehealth has taken a back seat in recent months, but that's starting to change. Here's what to ask when you schedule an in-person appointment.

2 Jun 2020 at 5:00am
Many people are struggling with insomnia like never before. Specialists explain why these times put an extra strain on our ability to get needed rest — and what to do about it.

29 May 2020 at 8:37pm
Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, answers listener questions about immunity, the probability for another pandemic and the latest information on the coronavirus.

28 May 2020 at 8:11pm
Writer, podcaster, and digital strategist Aminatou Sow answers listener questions about maintaining friendships in the ear of social distancing.

NPR's business correspondent answers listener questions about safety at the workplace as more and more businesses are reopening around the country.

NPR's business correspondent answers listener questions about safety at the workplace as more and more businesses are reopening around the country.

28 May 2020 at 4:04pm
The end of May marks a deadline for the millions of people who have lost job-based health insurance in March to enroll in a new plan.

28 May 2020 at 1:19pm
Time magazine reporter W.J. Hennigan embedded with workers responsible for caring for the bodies of some 20,000 New Yorkers who have died from COVID-19. "It's a haunting thing," he says.

28 May 2020 at 1:11pm
Tests for the immune response to the coronavirus are revealing thousands of people who were infected but never got severely ill. The findings suggest the virus is less deadly than it first appeared.

28 May 2020 at 5:00am
All you need is a sheet of paper and a pen. Read the comic for directions on how to fold and what to write in your zine. Then share it with Life Kit on social media. We'd love to see it!

Morning Edition : NPR
5 Jun 2020 at 7:24am
Morning Edition takes listeners around the country and the world with multi-faceted stories and commentaries every weekday. Hosts David Greene, Steve Inskeep, Noel King and Rachel Martin bring you the latest breaking news and features to prepare you for the day.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:24am
President Trump's tough "law and order" response to the protests over George Floyd's death has unleashed criticism from top military brass, and may even be dividing his own party.

5 Jun 2020 at 7:23am
Floyd, who was killed while being forcefully restrained by police, was remembered as a loving brother during a memorial service as civil rights leaders called his death a catalyst for change.

5 Jun 2020 at 6:17am
Alijah Cromartie spent more than two months in the hospital because of COVID-19, and was even put on ventilator. He was just discharged. To commemorate, hospital staff staged a graduation procession.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:37am
Belmont Park in San Diego Beach, Calif., is closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Despite that, the park still has to run its 95-year-old wooden roller coaster every day to keep it working.

5 Jun 2020 at 5:07am
In 2015, then-9-year-old Aiden Sykes asks his father, Albert, some of the heavy questions — and gets some meaningful words in return. "My dream is for you to live out your dreams," Albert tells him.

Evangelical Christians have been traditionally focused on their personal relationship with Jesus. But some are now seeing a need to expand their attention to address the issue of racial justice.

For years, Wisconsin's Kenosha County voted blue in presidential elections. But in 2016, it went for Donald Trump. How is this key swing county reacting to George Floyd's death and Trump's response?

The district attorney in Omaha had ruled the fatal shooting of African-American James Scurlock by a white bar owner during protests was self defense, but now a further investigation is likely.

NPR's David Greene talks to NPR's Scott Horsley and William Spriggs, chief economist for the AFL-CIO, about the pandemic's effect on joblessness — especially on minority employees.

Unrest was sparked across the nation after a black man in Minneapolis was killed in police custody. Tensions between African American communities and the police have existed for centuries.

Strange News : NPR
29 May 2020 at 4:02pm
Unlikely stories from around the nation and the world.

29 May 2020 at 4:02pm
The Not Too Late Show with Elmo has premiered on HBO Max Wednesday, becoming the very first late-night style talk show hosted by a 3 1/2-year-old monster.

26 May 2020 at 4:16pm
Aviation relies on so-called "waypoints" — geographic coordinates in the sky that help with navigation. And all the waypoints are named with five-letter designations, sometimes funny and odd.

24 May 2020 at 7:53am
This would have been a scary ingredient for a Caesar salad: Anchovies' ancient relatives were three feet long and had a nasty set of chompers, according to a study from the University of Michigan.

21 May 2020 at 5:22am
Forty-thousand pounds of mac and cheese spilled from a trailer in Nashville, Tenn., when it overturned on the road. Just one day earlier, two trucks hauling chicken and pumpkin pies caught fire.

20 May 2020 at 5:08am
As salons remain closed during the pandemic, many have resorted to cutting their own hair. Not all are successful. Celebrities and civilians alike are sharing their quarantine haircut failures.

18 May 2020 at 4:08pm
Some people in quarantine are experiencing time as moving faster or slower than normal. But Jeannie Campbell who has dyschronometria has been losing track of time for years.

13 May 2020 at 4:07pm
French linguists at the Académie Française have finally put an end to the debate of which of the definitive articles — a masculine le, or a feminine la — to use with the word "COVID-19."

7 May 2020 at 5:36pm
More than half a million people around the world are now howling together in the evenings — they are the members of the Facebook group Go Outside and Howl at 8 pm.

3 May 2020 at 12:34pm
The tree killer is a bacterium called xylella fastidiosa. It has killed millions of olive trees in Italy and is now threatening Spain and Greece. These countries produce 95% of Europe's olive oil.

3 May 2020 at 8:10am
In a D.C. neighborhood, two dog owners noticed their pets looked a bit alike. Turns out, they were brothers.